• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

IF Matthews Falls?

steelpastor

Reaction score

I have read some opinion pieces recently that put forward the possibility that Jake Matthews could be overtaken by Taylor Lewan as the #2 Tackle in the draft. If Lewan's legal issues iron out a bit and he creeps ahead of Matthews... and Matthews is available at #15, what do we do? I know it seems unlikely... however, we've been in that place before!!

I think we have to take him.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
Matthews will not fall below the number 7 pick....I do like Fairy Tales though.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
I can guarantee that the Giants will never allow Matthews to get past them...

steelpastor

Reaction score

Turd,

LOL... I agree. However, after looking again at Walterfootball's most recent mock draft... the 3rd Tackle is shown as being taken by the Cowboys at #16. It could happen... maybe... just let me keep the dream alive!

steelpastor

Reaction score

Turd,

LOL... I agree. However, after looking again at Walterfootball's most recent mock draft... the 3rd Tackle is shown as being taken by the Cowboys at #16. It could happen... maybe... just let me keep the dream alive!

steelpastor

Reaction score
I'd take Matthews, but I'm just not sold on OL with our first this year.

Agreed. However... IF it were to play out like this, I do not think we could pass up a fixture player like Matthews. He would be a 12-year anchor for us.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think, even with the current guys we got, our OL line coach, will coach them up enough to be adequate. That doesn't mean we wont pull the the trigger at 1.15, it just means it may not be as big a need as some here think.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think, even with the current guys we got, our OL line coach, will coach them up enough to be adequate. That doesn't mean we wont pull the the trigger at 1.15, it just means it may not be as big a need as some here think.

Salute the nation

Lloyds legend

Contributor
Reaction score
I expect Munchak to do good things with our OL. We all know Matthews has the pedigree and if he were there I wouldn't have a problem taking him just based on that. I'm not a big fan of Lewan though I've seen a lot of him at Michigan he's good but I think we would be better served elsewhere at 15. I'd like to see them go defense. The FA thing has me completely in the dark as to what we actually do.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I think if either of the top two OTs slide to you at #15 (Matthews/Robinson), that is a no brainer that you select the guy. There are only 2 players I would take ahead of either of them and that is Clowney and Mack. I think you are talking about guys that are the 2nd to 5th rated player in the draft. I just do not see how you could pass on them.

I

Idioteque

I would be a bit nervous. When a seemingly blue-chip, can't-miss stud just tumbles and tumbles, I tend to concede that the scouts and GMs have discovered something somewhere. Not always, but it follows logic for me. see: Jones, Jarvis

I remember having stars in my eyes over Brian Brohm and Everette Brown. I thought they were Troy Aikman and Dwight Freeney. When both fell off the Earth and into the 2nd, I thought all 32 teams were morons.

Papa Lazarou

Reaction score
This begs the question, do you take Lewan if he falls to #15 as he would rank as the number 2 Tackle in the draft at that time?

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
This begs the question, do you take Lewan if he falls to #15 as he would rank as the number 2 Tackle in the draft at that time?

No ten char

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I would be a bit nervous. When a seemingly blue-chip, can't-miss stud just tumbles and tumbles, I tend to concede that the scouts and GMs have discovered something somewhere. Not always, but it follows logic for me. see: Jones, Jarvis

I remember having stars in my eyes over Brian Brohm and Everette Brown. I thought they were Troy Aikman and Dwight Freeney. When both fell off the Earth and into the 2nd, I thought all 32 teams were morons.

Well, DeCastro was ranked 14th by scouts.com prior to the 2012 draft. He fell to 24th. Pretty happy they did not pass on him. IN 2004, CNNSI (and many others) had Ben rated as the 2nd best QB. In fact, CNNSI had him rated almost as highly as Manning. Not only did he slide out of 2nd, he slipped to 11th. Aaron Rodgers also slipped from what would have been the #1 draft pick to the Packers.

Sometimes teams over-evaluate these guys and they screw up because of it. I think if a guy with Matthews bloodlines and production/potential falls, you have to trust that your evaluation is correct.

keslerclan

Reaction score
Matthews could have been the #1 or #2 LT last year in the draft. Many folks had Lewan rated higher last year (if he were to have come out) than this year. I still think Matthews is better than Joeckel or Fisher but not as good as Robinson. Lewan, on the other hand, I think has slipped a bit in his rating compared to last year. He still might rate better than Fisher/Joeckel did but a thin draft at LT moves lots of guys up that shouldn't be considered "anchors". With a little help and some luck, Lewan MIGHT make it as an LT but as of now, his tape shows me just potential. He is the Bradley Roby of Ts in this draft to me. Boom or bust on the left, solid pick for a RT.

The team likes Wesley Johnson later, who could end up better than Lewan if his head isn't screwed on right. I like Michael Schofield in the 2nd over Lewan in the 1st for the same position potential. I would take either Robinson/Matthews at #15 in a heartbeat as i believe both are better than Fisher/Joeckel from last year's draft.

Vader

Reaction score
I've never understood why some people think OL is not a "need". Gilbert is a FA after this year. Nobody knows if Beachum can handle the LT spot permanently. Hell it took Adams and Gilbert just to play ONE position at RT.

Having said that I can't foresee any way Matthews falls. I also don't like Lewan. I'm not against taking a stud OL in the 1st but Lewan isn't that guy for me.

steelhurt

Reaction score
There is no way that Matthews falls to #15. The only way he wears black n gold is the Steelers moving up to take him and they won't.

I

Idioteque

Well, DeCastro was ranked 14th by scouts.com prior to the 2012 draft. He fell to 24th. Pretty happy they did not pass on him. IN 2004, CNNSI (and many others) had Ben rated as the 2nd best QB. In fact, CNNSI had him rated almost as highly as Manning. Not only did he slide out of 2nd, he slipped to 11th. Aaron Rodgers also slipped from what would have been the #1 draft pick to the Packers.

I'm talking top-top-top-tier prospects. Guys in the mix to go between 1-5 who tumble into the teens, twenties, etc. In the case of someone like Matthews, a guaranteed LT in a league desperate for LTs, it would smell funny if he fell 10-15 spots lower than he was expected to.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
You take the BPA unless it is a QB............ we know they won't slide. As Mathews won't either.................... But like was said IF he did sure you take him.

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
Taylor Lewan is ***. MSU pushed him around like a doll the last two times they played, and he quit along with the rest of their team last year. If we draft him someone needs to be shot.

CorpusDsteelers

Reaction score
He has a better chance than clowney but.. Neither will get to us unless we trade up. I'd take the kid from ohio state ILB at 15 dudes faster than most Wr/CB