• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

If Spillane wins camp battle.......

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Do you get him on a modest 2 or 3 year deal. Or do they still have him on a Mike Hilton type contract where they seemingly get to bring him back on the cheap forever? I'm hearing a lot more Spillane and a lot less Devin Bush in everything I read. Bush might be making an uncle Jarvis exit from the Steelers where he is held on for depth with the expectation of him leaving as FA at end of year.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I think Spillane is/was a RFA and signed his tender. So next year he’s an URFA and able to sign anywhere unless we extend or tag.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I would imagine Spillane would have to increase his coverage ability substantially to be some version of a three down player but you really couldn't be worse than Bush against the run last year. That was literally as bad as I've seen. And in a pic I saw of him tackling in camp his legs are huge but he has the arms of a HS player.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Jack is the Dime LB. And with Kazee, etc. on board, I think they play a lot of Dime this year to limit exposure of having Bush, or Spillane, on the field too much. So, if Bush doesn't rebound and is beat out by Spillane, you try to extend Spillane to a reasonable deal next offseason. However, you also keep developing Johnson and Robinson (whose name I've been seeing a lot in the camp reports) AND you keep an eye on LBs coming out in the draft next year.
Not the only answer, but the course I'd pursue.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Jack is the Dime LB. And with Kazee, etc. on board, I think they play a lot of Dime this year to limit exposure of having Bush, or Spillane, on the field too much. So, if Bush doesn't rebound and is beat out by Spillane, you try to extend Spillane to a reasonable deal next offseason. However, you also keep developing Johnson and Robinson (whose name I've been seeing a lot in the camp reports) AND you keep an eye on LBs coming out in the draft next year.
Not the only answer, but the course I'd pursue.
This makes a lot of sense to me. If Bush is not the primary pass cover linebacker or hasn't COMPLETELY fixed his run stop issues he is done in my opinion.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't think there'd be much of a market for Spillane. Even if he wins the job, he still probably best profiles as a low-end run stopper and the Steelers will once again be looking to upgrade through free agency or the draft. The sweet spot for the position in the draft seems to be in the second or third round so it isn't like teams have to invest a premium into finding an ILB.

steelhurt

Reaction score
if Budh isn’t the starter or if he plays like last year he may st be considered biggest bust since the infamous Huey Richardson from Emperor Noll’s days. Much more of a bust than Uncle Jarvis, Ziggy, Artie Burns, Terrell Edmonds, since we didn’t trade up for those slugs.
Think about what we gave up to move up ten spots from 20 to 10. Our second round pick that draft and our third round pick a year later. That’s potentially three starters if we had stayed at 20. Could have had at least two premium OL. You better hit a home run when you move up that far like we did with Troy Poly and Santonio Holme.

Last edited:

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
If Bush isn't clearly the best option within a week or so then they better start trying to trade him. He knows the defense, or at least he should and now he's over a year past his injury. He has no excuses. Some teams may still be interested because of his speed.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Looks to me that his Cap hit is same as his dead cap at about 6m. They will Uncle Jarvis him if he doesn't win the position. Which is to say let him walk after he provides depth this year. He must be better than Spillane in some pass sub packages. Spillane was getting abused last year in preseason.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Looks to me that his Cap hit is same as his dead cap at about 6m. They will Uncle Jarvis him if he doesn't win the position. Which is to say let him walk after he provides depth this year. He must be better than Spillane in some pass sub packages. Spillane was getting abused last year in preseason.
and by the end of the year he was the dime LB.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted Bush to do well, and he seemed to be progressing until he tore his ACL.
last year was embarrassing. like, truly embarrassing to have such a wet toilet paper soft ILB. Would rather have had Kirkland's old *** out there instead.

Bush be gone after this year.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
I would imagine Spillane would have to increase his coverage ability substantially to be some version of a three down player but you really couldn't be worse than Bush against the run last year. That was literally as bad as I've seen. And in a pic I saw of him tackling in camp his legs are huge but he has the arms of a HS player.
His weakest muscle is his heart...I question if he even has one.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
If Bush doesn’t make a major step forward this year, he might be the biggest first round mistake in the past 20 years for the capital we gave up for him… ziggy hood and Burns were average but didn’t cost as much as he did.
Bush is trying to outdo Jarvis-sad
At least we didn’t give up assets for JJ

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If Bush doesn’t make a major step forward this year, he might be the biggest first round mistake in the past 20 years for the capital we gave up for him… ziggy hood and Burns were average but didn’t cost as much as he did.
What about Golsten?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the supposed camp battle is just pushing Bush. A little extra motivation after last year's monstrosity. If it is a true battle and not a mirage we better hope Bush is winning. As Spillane is the Rudy of ILBers. Meaning he fits a backup role a lot better than a starting position.

I think when if Bush isn't retained it will be drafting or bringing in a starter. Just don't think the team will see Spillane as a true starter.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I’m sorry guys but if Bush a top ten pick needs motivation or to be pushed then screw him, I don’t want him. He should already be motivated and be playing like a guy possessed. I just think this was much too expensive of a pick to have to be pushing him in year four. He should be playing like a guy on fire with urgency. Maybe we should look at the disgruntled ILB in Chicago and end the Bush era.

steelreeling

Reaction score
I wanted Bush to do well, and he seemed to be progressing until he tore his ACL.
last year was embarrassing. like, truly embarrassing to have such a wet toilet paper soft ILB. Would rather have had Kirkland's old *** out there instead.

Bush be gone after this year.
kirkland_bc-250.jpg

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Bush is trying to outdo Jarvis-sad
At least we didn’t give up assets for JJ

At least Jarvis played hard. The problem was he just wasn't athletic enough. His awful combine numbers showed that, but the steelers drafted him anyway.

Bush has all the athletic talent. He's short and that limits him somewhat but he still has the tools to be an impact player. He got a lot of slack last year for coming back from injury but being a step slow wasn't the problem. The problem was he looked like he had no idea how to play LB. Often out of position and easily blocked.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
True, Jarvis gave effort which is one of reasons I never turned on him…but I did blame the FO for sure. Being a UGA fan I wanted him to work, but being a UGA fan I also couldn’t help but see how many plays the ball just bounced his way…it was uncanny. Obviously the shape of the pro ball eliminates this aspect of his play making ability lol

Bush I question the effort from, that’s where ya lose me as a fan.