• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

If there was ever a Practice Squad Poach we need to do ...

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
this is it

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ctice-squad-after-charges-dropped-per-report/

Chiefs to sign former Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker to practice squad after charges dropped, per report
Baker has reportedly already found a new NFL home

By Jordan Dajani

It didn't take long for former New York Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker to reportedly find a new home after his charges were dropped on Monday, as Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network reported on Tuesday night that the Kansas City Chiefs are expected to sign Baker to their practice squad. He's scheduled for a visit in the coming days, and "barring a snag," he will be a Chief.

Baker was released by the Giants this past offseason due to his alleged involvement in an armed robbery in Florida. On Monday, the State Attorney's office dropped the charges against Baker and charged South Florida attorney William Dean with extortion. According to several reports, Dean told Baker's attorney that his clients -- three men who recanted statements last week accusing Baker of victimizing them in a robbery -- would do "anything you want, so long as the money is right," and attempted to extract $266,000 per client from Baker.

Baker was placed on the Commissioner's Exempt List this offseason, and would have to be removed from the list in order to become eligible to play in games. The former University of Georgia star was selected with the No. 30 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. As a rookie with the Giants, he played in all 16 games and recorded just eight pass breakups, but tallied 61 combined tackles.

The Chiefs are currently sitting in first place in the AFC West with an 8-1 record, and have the No. 8 pass defense in the NFL, as they allow an average of 215.7 yards through the air per game. They haven't been perfect, however, as Derek Carr passed for 347 yards and three touchdowns during the Chiefs' 40-32 loss to the Las Vegas Raiders earlier this season, and allowed Teddy Bridgewater of the Carolina Panthers to throw for 310 yards and two touchdowns in a close game in Week 9. Kansas City is currently coming off of their bye week, and is scheduled to have a rematch against the Raiders this week on "Sunday Night Football."

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
this is it

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ctice-squad-after-charges-dropped-per-report/

Chiefs to sign former Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker to practice squad after charges dropped, per report
Baker has reportedly already found a new NFL home

By Jordan Dajani

It didn't take long for former New York Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker to reportedly find a new home after his charges were dropped on Monday, as Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network reported on Tuesday night that the Kansas City Chiefs are expected to sign Baker to their practice squad. He's scheduled for a visit in the coming days, and "barring a snag," he will be a Chief.

Baker was released by the Giants this past offseason due to his alleged involvement in an armed robbery in Florida. On Monday, the State Attorney's office dropped the charges against Baker and charged South Florida attorney William Dean with extortion. According to several reports, Dean told Baker's attorney that his clients -- three men who recanted statements last week accusing Baker of victimizing them in a robbery -- would do "anything you want, so long as the money is right," and attempted to extract $266,000 per client from Baker.

Baker was placed on the Commissioner's Exempt List this offseason, and would have to be removed from the list in order to become eligible to play in games. The former University of Georgia star was selected with the No. 30 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. As a rookie with the Giants, he played in all 16 games and recorded just eight pass breakups, but tallied 61 combined tackles.

The Chiefs are currently sitting in first place in the AFC West with an 8-1 record, and have the No. 8 pass defense in the NFL, as they allow an average of 215.7 yards through the air per game. They haven't been perfect, however, as Derek Carr passed for 347 yards and three touchdowns during the Chiefs' 40-32 loss to the Las Vegas Raiders earlier this season, and allowed Teddy Bridgewater of the Carolina Panthers to throw for 310 yards and two touchdowns in a close game in Week 9. Kansas City is currently coming off of their bye week, and is scheduled to have a rematch against the Raiders this week on "Sunday Night Football."

Supe beat me to it. Mods, please merge my thread.

mdk2

Reaction score
Uh... yeah, hard pass.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think he's a problem, but then again I'm looking at this from my office in Tampa. LOL...

Yeah---he might not be...

I would just be very, very careful about who on-board the rest of the season...

Mojo is rocking right now..

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah---he might not be...

I would just be very, very careful about who on-board the rest of the season...

Mojo is rocking right now..

Berm is looking at the FUTURE...this kid is a blue chip true lockdown DB. Getting him now would be a steal and insurance on the years after Joe Haden...

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Would need to bring him to the active roster to poach him. Another team may do that before we would.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Chicken...

Come-on man...when was the last time you were charged with a crime like this. Guys don't get charges like this for no good reason...do they ?

Let's keep our roster free of the nefarious and potential 'nafarions' no matter how good they play football .....please.

We just got rid of our problems,

images

mdk2

Reaction score
Would need to bring him to the active roster to poach him. Another team may do that before we would.

Patriots written all over it. Chung played the whole season with a felony charge.. only the Patriots can pull that off.

Last edited:

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Come-on man...when was the last time you were charged with a crime like this. Guys don't get charges like this for no good reason...do they ?

Let's keep our roster free of the nefarious and potential 'nafarions' no matter how good they play football .....please.

images

Money was the reason. Along with obviously being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The "alleged" victims' attorney was charged with extortion. Shortly thereafter, the "alleged" victims recanted their stories. I'd bet the prosecution gave the "alleged" victims the choice of facing extortion charges or recanting their allegations when the whole scheme went belly up. High profile case, if there was anything to it, the case would have proceeded.
Still, the kid needs to learn (and got a good lesson in the fact) that by virtue of who he is/what he does/the money he makes, he is a target. The old "nothing good happens in/after (Insert place/time here).

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Money was the reason. Along with obviously being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The "alleged" victims' attorney was charged with extortion. Shortly thereafter, the "alleged" victims recanted their stories. I'd bet the prosecution gave the "alleged" victims the choice of facing extortion charges or recanting their allegations when the whole scheme went belly up. High profile case, if there was anything to it, the case would have proceeded.
Still, the kid needs to learn (and got a good lesson in the fact) that by virtue of who he is/what he does/the money he makes, he is a target. The old "nothing good happens in/after (Insert place/time here).

I hear ya Buckeye and I'm all about 2nd chances ...believe me..

But timing is everything...and the clock on the wall says "not now"...

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Easy...
Jayrone Elliott flips back to the PS

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

images

Uncle Chip, Buckeye beat me to it. The charges were all fake---remember the fake charges against our HOF QB??? I wouldn't suggest this otherwise...

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
You can protect practice squad players from being poached this year, and I would think KC made him one of the 4.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You can protect practice squad players from being poached this year, and I would think KC made him one of the 4.

they have to be designated by the end of the week.
right now, Baker is not designated as protected.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Supe is right, protection designations are Tuesday. He will be open to poaching all week. I'm surprised they didn't just roster him.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
This would be a very curious poaching. Wonder if another team in his division would steal him? He's a rookie first round draft pick. I don't see us messing with our roster.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
With Hilton out, the Steelers don't need some scrub LB or whatever on the roster. Pluck this guy, send the stiff that is on the roster for Hilton packing and lets see what he can do. Worth kicking the tires on.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
With Hilton out, the Steelers don't need some scrub LB or whatever on the roster. Pluck this guy, send the stiff that is on the roster for Hilton packing and lets see what he can do. Worth kicking the tires on.

Cam Sutton says hello