• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

If there was ever a Practice Squad Poach we need to do ...

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
With Hilton out, the Steelers don't need some scrub LB or whatever on the roster. Pluck this guy, send the stiff that is on the roster for Hilton packing and lets see what he can do. Worth kicking the tires on.

I thought this guy was an edge corner?

No way would I dump the best run stopping/blitzing NCB in the league for edge depth. We can talk about getting rid of Justin Layne, or James Pierre for him. I'd be leaning that he is an upgrade over Pierre, but I don't think about getting rid of Hilton or Sutton.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought this guy was an edge corner?

No way would I dump the best run stopping/blitzing NCB in the league for edge depth. We can talk about getting rid of Justin Layne, or James Pierre for him. I'd be leaning that he is an upgrade over Pierre, but I don't think about getting rid of Hilton or Sutton.

Layne has looked alright out there but I don't think he is seeing any significant snaps and is primarily on special teams. Picking him up over Pierre would assuredly be an upgrade. Question is the price tag and if the team is willing to accept his baggage.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Layne has looked alright out there but I don't think he is seeing any significant snaps and is primarily on special teams. Picking him up over Pierre would assuredly be an upgrade. Question is the price tag and if the team is willing to accept his baggage.

Layne has seen a few snaps in one of the sub package defenses. I think they like where he's progressing. Pierre was a camp darling who they are high on. If I remember correctly, he was likened to an Ike Taylor type; not as fast as Ike, but more surehanded. Had a lot of Int's in camp and "popped" on the practice film. With Haden getting up there, I'd keep both and get rid of a fringe player at another position. Elliot was mentioned as a possibility in this thread. Better to have all three because there is no guarantee that Baker would even work out here. They've taken flyers on reclamation projects at CB in the past that didn't.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Apparently he can't be officially on their practice squad until he passes Covid 19 protocals. Who knows how long that takes. My guess is that once he passes, they will have him protected in some way.