• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is a Holdout Lurking for Steelers WR1 Diontae Johnson?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have two major holes. One of those is at the safety position. The other is at wide receiver. The Steelers lost a lot of game experience when JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Washington, and Ray-Ray McCloud walked out the door during free agency. They didn’t exactly solidify it when they signed receiver, but mainly return man Gunner Olszewski. They successfully turned McCloud from a successful return man into a viable option in the slot, but it isn’t likely that their plan is to count on Olszewski being a third down option in the passing game.

Now local radio host Andrew Fillipponi from 93.7 the Fan Pittsburgh noted during his show Monday that Diontae Johnson wasn’t present for the first day of voluntary off-season work outs in Pittsburgh. Now the keyword here is voluntary, so take that into account as we don’t know who was even around. Chances are that not many veteran were.

Source: Diontae Johnson did not attend the start of the Steelers voluntary offseason program today. The man wants paid. Like his perceived WR peers. McLaurin, Metcalf, Deebo Samuel.

Should the Steelers give Diontae Johnson a new deal?

— Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) April 18, 2022

The Steelers are in a tough position with Johnson. Is he the teams best receiver? Yes. But has he been consistent enough to warrant 100 million? In the past that would be a resounding no, but with the way receivers have gotten paid this off-season he is in the conversation. This off-season the price that teams are paying receivers is off the chart. It isn’t just the super stars either. Players like Arizona’s Christian Kirk received a huge contract with incentives it could pay him 84 million.

Steelers Diontae Johnson gets a tattoo in honor of Dwayne Haskins​

Steelers Diontae Johnson Honors Dwayne Haskins

The numbers for the superstars are even more insane. The Las Vegas Raiders will pay Devante Adams over 28 million per year, and it cost them multiple draft picks just to acquire him. The same goes for Tyree Hill who will also make 28 million per year after signing a new contract with the Miami Dolphins after he was traded there.

Now think about this for a minute to put it into perspective. The Steelers gave Antonio Brown a 4-year extension in 2017 that made him the highest paid receiver in the NFL with an annual salary of 17 million. Talk about inflation.

Johnson isn’t going to be the only big name receiver that’s sitting out if he chooses to do so. Deebo Samuel, A.J. Brown, Terry McLaurin are set to skip offseason programs in search of new contracts, per report.

It’s been reported to SteelerNation.com that Johnson will not be playing in any charity events this off-season like he did last year. That also isn’t an indication that he’s going to hold out, but that he doesn’t want to take a chance at risking an injury.

WRs-1024x683.jpeg

EAST RUTHERFORD, NEW JERSEY – DECEMBER 22: JuJu Smith-Schuster #19 carries Diontae Johnson #18 of the Pittsburgh Steelers on his shoulders after Johnson’s touchdown during the first half of the game against the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium on December 22, 2019 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Sarah Stier/Getty Images)

The Steelers are in a tough spot, with Johnson. Not only because of all of the guys who left this off-season, but because they don’t know what to expect from Chase Claypool. He’s shown flashes of greatness, but is he going to mature enough mentally to be a consistant threat? Only he knows that one. They may need to address the receiver position twice early in the draft. If they don’t they should at least take a look at Jarvis Landry. If the Steelers aren’t willing to meet Johnsons’ demands then it could get ugly if he indeed is considering holding out long term.

Last year we knew a solution was coming for TJ Watt, and while he did show up to training camp he didn’t participate in any team drills. That could be something we see from Johnson, and safety Minkah Fitzpatrick if he doesn’t have a new contract yet.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Andrew is Mr. Controversy. Anywho I am not as high on DJ as others are. Ok if he stays equally ok if he ends up being traded down the road. I don't think he has done enough that he can hold the team hostage for a new contract if that's a sliver of a possibility.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
6cztuy.jpg

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Let him sit or trade him. He is not worth $20 million per. $15 million per is the absolute highest they should even consider. He may be a WR1 but he is not a top 5, 10 or even 15 WR. He might crack the top 20. Give me Deebo, Brown or McLaurin over DJ any day of the week. Or Adams. Or Hill. Or Kupp, Jefferson, Chase, Allen, Hopkins, Metcalf, Thomas, Evans, Godwin, Or, etc. etc. etc. The list could go on and on.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Trade him for as much as you can get for him

Yep, just don't get the hype. I understand he's a great route runner but there are other great WRs out there who also catch consistently and don't wilt under pressure.

@Hines57 should love this one.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Let him sit or trade him. He is not worth $20 million per. $15 million per is the absolute highest they should even consider. He may be a WR1 but he is not a top 5, 10 or even 15 WR. He might crack the top 20. Give me Deebo, Brown or McLaurin over DJ any day of the week. Or Adams. Or Hill. Or Kupp, Jefferson, Chase, Allen, Hopkins, Metcalf, Thomas, Evans, Godwin, Or, etc. etc. etc. The list could go on and on.
DJ is a good player and I view him as a guy who should come in closer to how the Steelers value him rather than the other way around. Your list is about right. There are a ton of guys I'm taking over Johnson.

Wolf44

Reaction score
Not a difference maker , just a guy that catches a ton of screens and quick outs.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Not a difference maker , just a guy that catches a ton of screens and quick outs.

C'mon now, he's ran plenty of post/corner/out routes. I just wish he had more fire and sure hands. AB had those two things. He doesn't.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, just don't get the hype. I understand he's a great route runner but there are other great WRs out there who also catch consistently and don't wilt under pressure.

@Hines57 should love this one.
No denying his ability to run great routes and get open…now consistently catching, looks like he’s gone to the Sweed School of Receiving

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Stickum is not being used properly in DJ's case.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
He did improve A Lot

He did improve a lot for most of the season, then absolutely regressed down the final stretch. Was sad to see because I know he worked his butt off in the offseason to change.

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
**** him…let him play somewhere else and drop passes.

rebuild the WRs with the draft or FA

he wants 20 million a year…then sign a contract that every drop costs you a million bucks…..he’d probably drop the pen..

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
One thing once you start paying...... might have to go wr 1.20. Never thought I'd be saying that. What would his market be. I'm sure a 2.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
BS go look at his numbers from last year again and tell me that.

I think he's just exaggerating for effect. He definitely improved but choked down the final stretch. Just feels like something he's not gonna be able to shake in pressure-type situations.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
FWIW, I don't think he's going to hold out for an absurd contract and will probably work out an agreement with the Steelers. I don't think the rest of the league looks at him as a top receiver or a big play option which will limit his value. It's the case where both sides will benefit from working out a contract.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember a short while ago he wanted 15/yr.
Compared to the other contracts that have been handed out recently? I might be able to live with that.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Not a very cognitive player and paying him more money won’t fix that. Hopefully he has more business smarts and doesn’t make the same mistakes Le’Veon Bell made.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
He did improve for the majority of the season but he went away. He looked like he regressed and had Crisco receiving gloves on.
HIs problem isn't his hands they are good. It is his head. He has a bad drop and it gets him thinking too much. Everyone has a bad drop now and then. Het lets it get to him.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Andrew is Mr. Controversy. Anywho I am not as high on DJ as others are. Ok if he stays equally ok if he ends up being traded down the road. I don't think he has done enough that he can hold the team hostage for a new contract if that's a sliver of a possibility.

Now you know why I said it. Guy throws out too much bullshit to be believable.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He did improve for the majority of the season but he went away. He looked like he regressed and had Crisco receiving gloves on.

He had 5 drops last season compared to I think 17 (lead the NFL)the season before. Unfortunately those 5 drops came at the last 1/4 season so that's what most remeber.

Salute the nation