• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is Anyone Else Going To Be Pissed If We Get Stuck With Brandon Hunt or Omar As Our Next GM?

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
We desperately need a shake-up and neither one of these guys would provide that. We need someone from the outside to come in and bring new philosophies and ideas. Tomlin needs to be put on notice from Day 1 that his days of mediocrity and hiding behind his safety net are numbered. Undeserving internal promotions need to be a thing of the past. ANY promotions or hiring needs to be based solely on talent and not judged by other criteria. We need to be open to spending to bring in some big names via free agency that could really make a difference. The days of cheaply building through the draft needs to be a thing of the past. Rooney needs to be open to new ideas and criticism.

We've become one of the most boring and predictable teams in the entire league. If we promote either of these 2 'internal candidates' expect more of the same mediocrity and predictability for at least the next decade, if not two.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have completed their general manger interviews and will choose Kevin Colbert's successor from the group of six candidates who received second interviews, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Here are the six candidates who received second interviews. Four of the candidates were external, while two candidates are currently with the club.

Brandon Hunt (Steelers pro scouting coordinator)​

Hunt, who was a member of the Steelers' scouting department when Pittsburgh won the 2005 Super Bowl, returned to the team in 2009 after spending two seasons with the Texans.

Omar Khan (Steelers VP of football and business administration)​

Khan, 44, has been with the Steeles since 2001. The Steelers have won two Super Bowls and three AFC titles during Khan's 21-year run with the franchise.

Ryan Cowden (Titans VP of player personnel)​

Cowden has spent the past six years with the Titans, who last season clinched the AFC's No. 1 seed heading into the postseason. He spent the previous 16 years with the Panthers, who won two NFC titles during his time with the franchise.

John Spytek (Buccaneers VP of player personnel)​

Spytek played an integral role in helping build the Buccaneers' roster that won the franchise's second Super Bowl at the end of the 2020 season. Spytek, who has spent the past six seasons in Tampa Bay, also won a Super Bowl as a member of the Broncos' staff in 2015. Spytek's NFL experience also includes time with the Browns, Eagles and Lions. He was Tom Brady's college teammate at the University of Michigan, where he played linebacker from 1999-02.

Doug Whaley (Former Bills assistant GM and director of player personnel)​

A Pittsburgh native, Whaley spent a decade as the Steelers' pro personnel coordinator. During that time, Whaley helped scout several future defensive standout that includes Troy Polamalu, LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons.

Andy Weidl (Eagles VP of player personnel)​

Weidl has 20-plus years of NFL scouting experience and is preparing for his seventh season with the Eagles. He helped construct the Eagles' roster that won the franchise's first Super Bowl title at the end of the 2017 season.

Whoever replaces Colbert will have big shoes to fill. Colbert, who arrived in Pittsburgh in 2000, helped build rosters that won two Super Bowls, three AFC championships, and 10 division titles. The Steelers made the playoffs 14 times in Colbert's 22 years in Pittsburgh. They had just one losing season, as their streak of 18 consecutive non-losing seasons is the longest in the NFL.

Colbert's replacement will be tasked with several pressing personnel decisions that include possible contract extensions for receiver Diontae Johnson and free safety Minkah Fitzpatrick. The Steelers are coming off a 2021 season that saw them make the playoffs after compiling a 9-7-1 regular season record. Pittsburgh's offseason has included the free agent signing of Mitchell Trubisky and the selection of former Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett with the 20th overall pick. Both quarterbacks will compete with Mason Rudolph to be the team's Week 1 starter.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I would assume they stay in house.
My wish would be Tomlin to gm and Flores to HC. But that won't happen

TheRealTazz864

Lowest IQ
Reaction score
BTW, 'mediocrity' is average... Tomlin's career as a Steelers coach has only been .500 3 times in 14 seasons... His W-L record has never been below .500... Also, he is 8-7 in the playoffs... also better than average... Therefore, your claim that he is "mediocre" is demonstrably false... I think you need a new story to tell... you know, the kind that are true...
There is a difference between building a team "cheaply" and building a team "efficiently..." For example, some of the post-triplets (Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith, Michael Irvin... Any of the three of whom I would rather hear on Fox than Tom Brady...) Cowboys teams were expensive, but "cheap" as far as quality... Colbert was an effective builder of efficient teams...

Last edited:

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
I would assume they stay in house.
My wish would be Tomlin to gm and Flores to HC. But that won't happen
Oh hell no. Tomlin needs to be shown the door, not a promotion. And f*ck Brian "football is my passion so if someone doesn't give me a HC job I'm crying racism" Flores. I have zero respect for that guy. If the scenario you 'wish' for were to materialize, I honestly think I'd follow another team.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Oh hell no. Tomlin needs to be shown the door, not a promotion. And f*ck Brian "football is my passion so if someone doesn't give me a HC job I'm crying racism" Flores. I have zero respect for that guy. If the scenario you 'wish' for were to materialize, I honestly think I'd follow another team.
if that is enough to get you to switch teams

you are not a fan anyway

troll

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Please do!

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
BTW, 'mediocrity' is average... Tomlin's career as a Steelers coach has only been .500 3 times in 14 seasons... His W-L record has never been below .500... Also, he is 8-7 in the playoffs... also better than average... Therefore, your claim that he is "mediocre" is demonstrably false... I think you need a new story to tell... you know, the kind that are true...
There is a difference between building a team "cheaply" and building a team "efficiently..." For example, some of the post-triplets (Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith, Michael Irvin... Any of the three of whom I would rather hear on Fox than Tom Brady...) Cowboys teams were expensive, but "cheap" as far as quality... Colbert was an effective builder of efficient teams...
Apologist much?

As someone who lives outside of Pittsburgh the majority of the time, I can tell you that the vast majority of neutral or non-Steeler diehards do not see Tomlin favorably (at all). VERY frequently I hear, "your owner holds you guys back by keeping that guy". OR, "under the right coach, Ben would have had 3 or 4 rings". OR, you guys still have the cheerleader, right"?

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Apologist much?

As someone who lives outside of Pittsburgh the majority of the time, I can tell you that the vast majority of neutral or non-Steeler diehards do not see Tomlin favorably (at all). VERY frequently I hear, "your owner holds you guys back by keeping that guy". OR, "under the right coach, Ben would have had 3 or 4 rings". OR, you guys still have the cheerleader, right"?
Bullshit!! I live outside the Burgh and Bengals fans would love to have Tomlin. Most fans outside Pittsburgh respect the hell out of Tomlin. You are totally full of ****!

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Apologist much?

you're full of ****

I live way outside of Pittsburgh and Tomlin is well respected and fans of several teams have said they would love to trade for Tomlin

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Whaley would feel like a very underwhelming hire and I'd prefer a personnel guy, so that puts Khan low on my list as well. I think any of the other names bring potential to the table.

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
if that is enough to get you to switch teams

you are not a fan anyway

troll
Promoting 2 undeserving individuals to key positions for reasons "other than" them earning those positions based on their body of work and talent WOULD be a VERY understandable reason to walk away from the team. I watch football with the hope of seeing my favorite team succeed.

If I watched football with the hope of witnessing "woke" I could turn on CNN and watch our Senile In Chief fumble through one of his "you're all MAGA racist" speeches.

TheRealTazz864

Lowest IQ
Reaction score
Apologist much?

Sorry, not sorry.... You screwed up.... I've never heard anything like that outside of your tiny bubble... But that isn't the point... The point is that you are mischaracterizing and misleading.... and your misstatements are embarrassing....
NOT promoting 2 individuals (deserving or not...) based on your opinions (skewed and misrepresented as they are...) is a TERRIBLE idea, and need not even be considered....

Last edited:

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Promoting 2 undeserving individuals to key positions for reasons "other than" them earning those positions based on their body of work and talent WOULD be a VERY understandable reason to walk away from the team. I watch football with the hope of seeing my favorite team succeed.

If I watched football with the hope of witnessing "woke" I could turn on CNN and watch our Senile In Chief fumble through one of his "you're all MAGA racist" speeches.
this version of you here only gets this one warning about bringing political **** into this forum....

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
Bullshit!! I live outside the Burgh and Bengals fans would love to have Tomlin. Most fans outside Pittsburgh respect the hell out of Tomlin. You are totally full of ****!
Oh yeah dude. Suuure. I'm sure that Cincy is just dying to get rid of their sharp, young HC who took them to a SB in his first 3 years (and handed us our ***** twice last season) just so they can hire some inept stooge who was never qualified to begin with and who spent his entire career riding the coattails of a HOF QB.

Yep .. I'm sure "Dey" would just love that.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I do not think he will ever be fired. best bet is to get him promoted and let someone else in. Flores is a proven winner. We could do alot worse. and since you are against this, it must be a good idea. derrrrrr

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
you're full of ****

I live way outside of Pittsburgh and Tomlin is well respected and fans of several teams have said they would love to trade for Tomlin
I think you're lying, but even if I were to take what you say at face value, these same people who would "supposedly" love to trade for Tomlin also walk around in cowboy hats and boots, right?

Enough said.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I think you're lying, but even if I were to take what you say at face value, these same people who would "supposedly" love to trade for Tomlin also walk around in cowboy hats and boots, right?

Enough said.
yeah them guys are ztupid. Cowboy hats! Boots? crasy zhit

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

Enough said.
Not all Texans, whether they are Cowboy fans or Texans fans actually walk around in boots and cowboy hats

but trust me ANY Texan is a smarter football fan than you....even the dipshit cowboy fans

and I could not care less about you thinking I am lying

just further proof you are a twatwaffle troll

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
I do not think he will ever be fired. best bet is to get him promoted and let someone else in. Flores is a proven winner. We could do alot worse. and since you are against this, it must be a good idea. derrrrrr
Is Flores a "proven winner"? Being under Belichick's umbrella doesn't really count and the guy was just fired as a HC. Is it commonplace for proven winners to have to play the race card just to get a job?

TheRealTazz864

Lowest IQ
Reaction score
Oh yeah dude. Suuure. I'm sure that Cincy is just dying to get rid of their sharp, young HC who took them to a SB in his first 3 years (and handed us our ***** twice last season) just so they can hire some inept stooge who was never qualified to begin with and who spent his entire career riding the coattails of a HOF QB.

Yep .. I'm sure "Dey" would just love that.
Didn't Tomlin WIN a Superbowl his 2nd season??? And take the Steelers to the Superbowl HIS 3rd season?? Pretty sharp.... What a maroon....

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Is Flores a "proven winner"? Being under Belichick's umbrella doesn't really count and the guy was just fired as a HC. Is it commonplace for proven winners to have to play the race card just to get a job?
you really need to keep race out of this discussion

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
can you do me a favor? can you look at what Flores did the 2nd half of the year last year. I am to ztupid to look it up myself.

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
you really need to keep race out of this discussion
Dude, give it up. Your "Hey everybody, look at me! I'm a free thinker who will defend and protect the actions of anyone who isn't caucasian" schtick has grown BEYOND stale.

If it hurts you or a friend of yours feelings that Flores did, in fact, have to resort to crying his way onto a team, maybe take up that grievance with Flores, not me for pointing out that reality. I'm merely pointing out his pathetic actions.

Blitz is claiming he's a proven winner. Proven winners don't have to cry their way into a job.

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
Didn't Tomlin WIN a Superbowl his 2nd season??? And take the Steelers to the Superbowl HIS 3rd season?? Pretty sharp.... What a maroon....
Did Tomlin win a SB, or did Cowher's team win a SB in Cowher's absence?

And please refresh my memory, how many have we had since .. what is it? 2008?