• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is it time for Penn State to make a coaching change?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think they signed him like they did because he is so good with the players similar to how the players seem to love Tomlin. 10 years is a long time but they structured it so the buyouts reduce to only a million after 4 or 5 years so they could move on from him if he continues not winning the big games. It's a good move for recruiting - I hope.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I think they signed him like they did because he is so good with the players similar to how the players seem to love Tomlin. 10 years is a long time but they structured it so the buyouts reduce to only a million after 4 or 5 years so they could move on from him if he continues not winning the big games. It's a good move for recruiting - I hope.
Recruiting is his strong point… and if nothing else get a strong enough team together and you may well get a bigger name coach to take interest if you move on from him

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Recruiting is his strong point… and if nothing else get a strong enough team together and you may well get a bigger name coach to take interest if you move on from him
With LSU, USC, and Florida jobs all open this year, it is also not a great time to be looking for a new head coach.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
So obviously Penn State opted to bet on Franklin while his value was low

I just don’t think there was a better option out there for them that was willing to talk

I think Penn State has come to grips that tgey are a very good program but not an upper tier elite program anymore… that died with Joepa. Coaches going there aren’t often going there as a destination as much as a stepping stone.. they had a chance to get a commitment with a guy that at least recruits well.

Had ucla or usc came calling for real, perhaps he does bolt, but his stock is down a lot this year… its a good time to sign him, though in the back of your head ypu have to think if he does start having some premium seasons, those calls are going to come back… ncaa contracts shouldn’t be as easy to break as they are
Franklin's value is low? There are only five college football coaches in the country that make more than $7.5 million a year. Penn State is certainly paying him like they still believe they're an upper tier elite program.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Franklin's value is low? There are only five college football coaches in the country that make more than $7.5 million a year. Penn State is certainly paying him like they still believe they're an upper tier elite program.
Thanks to that Michigan state contract, you will see the next set of major contracts escalate well past7.5 million

Frankly i am in favor for a salary cap at all schools that receive state funds… it’s absurd they pay coaches even a fragment of that…

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Ten more years of today's nonsense. Sweet.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Ten more years of today's nonsense. Sweet.
I mean he could improve…. What I really wish head coaches would do is swallow their pride, admit that they, like most people in the position, aren’t great strategists, and hire a strategy coordinator to run gameday… a head coach is supposed to wear a lot of hats, but delegating the ones that they arent good at is a sign of intelligence and maturity…

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin coaching college is an idiot's pipe dream:

Franklin wishes he was 500 in bowl games with a championship under his belt...