• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is it time to start Mason Rudolph?

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
Straight truth time. What is up with the "I love/hate Ben" or "I love/hate the coaches" positions? You are arguing against each other in a nonsensical way. Ben has been a great blessing to the team and fans. But his time is up. Tomlin brought a Super Bowl tot he 'Burgh, but his time is up. The reality is that it is time to move on from both. The ownership's obstinate obsession with not making these major changes is either stupid or fearful. This is a win now (or soon) league or you make a change (whether it works or not).

The reality is that it is time for Ben to ride into the sunset and make a crapload of money off endorsements, tv and radio. It is time for Tomlin to be released and find another job in one week. It is time for Butler and Canada to find their life's work in middle-school football. Sometimes it isn't the quality of a person that is at fault ... it just the need for change.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I dont care how great a QB is coming out of college, see Trevor Lawrence. Put him behind a ****** OLine with a ****** coach and it will fail spectacularly. Unfortunately we also fall into that category now.

Yepper. He looks like *** for the jagoffs.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Everyone knows our weaknesses. The biggest and maybe easiest to fix issue is the Oline. I believe we have decent cap space left we could bring in 2-3 lineman. There has to be a better center out there than what we have. Improvements in a couple spots could go a long ways. Not sure why they are not even trying? The D has multiple concerns, DL, CB, MLB that would be more difficult to fill.
I think we have seen enough of Mason to know he is not the answer. Another loss or 2 and i throw Haskins in there just to see what he can do.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I'm a ride this train until it's dramatic horrific conclusion. No use in pulling Ben at this point, the team sucks as a whole. You're not going to learn anything by starting any other qb. Team sucks period. A girlscout troop could drive and score on these guys. The offense doesn't do much right. Harris,dj and muth are the only guys getting anything done consistently.

I'd let Ben pad his stats and go out on his shield. Good,bad or ugly. There's no magic turning this **** show around.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Start Rudolph?? Haskins?!??

Excuse me, I have to take care of something real quick...

married-with-children-al-bundy.gif

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, if the team can help Ben get to #5 on the list they owe him that.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Mason Rudolf is not the answer, he hasn't proven that in any of the games that he's started, including one just a few weeks ago. The problems with this team are vast and many, and it's going to take much more than a few free agents and a damn good draft. This team has a cancer and it's the culture in the locker room. There is no leadership, there is no fire, this team needs an infusion of heart and attitude.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin has already answered this so why do we keep asking. He has no plans to take Ben even if we were 1-10 right now. Ben still gives us the best chance to win.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I love how many times I see how Green and Moore suck. They are ******* rookies! Both have shown flashes that they can be good players. Both will put in the work and be much better next year. You can mark my words on that one. Chuks is still in there and this is his 4th season. He IS the one that sucks. Dude is horrible. I hope they put Banner in this week because he won't be any worse even when he is getting the rust knocked off for a few games.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I love how many times I see how Green and Moore suck. They are ******* rookies! Both have shown flashes that they can be good players. Both will put in the work and be much better next year. You can mark my words on that one.
I hope they get better and they need to get better. It just doesn’t always happen that way. Both stink right now and have shown a lot of regression. Green’s inability to handle big, power rushers will probably never change because of his lack of size.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope they get better and they need to get better. It just doesn’t always happen that way. Both stink right now and have shown a lot of regression. Green’s inability to handle big, power rushers will probably never change because of his lack of size.
That is actually one part of his game he can improve on during the offseason. He needs to get stronger and he will. Most rookies, as we all know starting hitting the rookie wall by now so this wouldn't be surprising. Greene has a lot of good traits. He can definitely work on getting better at defending bull rushes with better strength and technique. I fully expect to see Greene and Moore look significantly better next year.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Green and Moore were showing regression before the rookie wall would normally hit. Pouncey struggled with power rushers his entire career, it’s something you live with when you have an undersized center. Again, you’d like to hope they get better but experience and working out doesn’t always equate to better production on the field and the Steelers should continue to explore options to improve the offensive line at all five positions.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
It won't make a bit of difference if they sit Ben and start Rudolph or Haskins, in fact, it may be worse if that's possible.

We have arguably the best running back in college from last year that hits a wall of humanity on every carry, will changing QB's fix that?

If the Steelers just had an average o-line, both Ben and Najee would be instantly better.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
No matter who the signal caller is, it’s a big **** sandwich. For me, I’m fine with it if they go with Rudy and it tanks them, or if Ben starts and it tanks them. I hope they go 5-11-1 and get a descent seat at the draft table.

mdk2

Reaction score
After watching Lamar Jackson last night I'm satisfied with Big Ben.
Yeah but isn't it awesome how he throws side arm passes??? Collinsworth and Tirico had nothing else good to say about him except how he throws side arm and how good of a RB he is. He's an atrocious QB. Hopefully the Browns give Baker a big contract and Ravens make Lamar the highest paid QB.

Stewey

Reaction score
No matter who the signal caller is, it’s a big **** sandwich. For me, I’m fine with it if they go with Rudy and it tanks them, or if Ben starts and it tanks them. I hope they go 5-11-1 and get a descent seat at the draft table.

It could never be proven, but we'd still probably be right at 5-5-1 had Rudy started the season.

The one reason I'd like Ben to stick around for the remainder of the season is for him to have the opportunity of revenging the **** Stains in the second to the last game...
The Stains may be hanging on for their playoff lives, and for Ben to knock them out would be a sweet farewell for him. Ben owns that team.

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah but isn't it awesome how he throws side arm passes??? Collinsworth and Tirico had nothing else good to say about him except how he throws side arm and how good of a RB he is. He's an atrocious QB. Hopefully the Browns give Baker a big contract and Ravens make Lamar the highest paid QB.
They'd be fools to give Jackson the big contract. Right now, you have Mahomes making about $50 million a year. Any more than that would be just plain stupid.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
PLUS their experient of not investing heavy into the OL has backfired. A 3rd & a 4th is not heavy investment.

As for the Rudoph over BEN,...... commical. Whether season is done or not, you go with best chance to win, we are nOt a loser draft pick team attitude YET.

Salute the nation
I agree wholeheartedly, Notorious DIC.
But I would like some caveats to this......

Looking at what we have in both Najee and Muuuuuuuuuuuth, I'm not sure I can say I'd rather have seen those picks go to O-Line.
It appears now that we hit those picks out of the park.
HOWEVER..........both the Harris and Pat picks are being wasted right now because we have ZERO SEMBLENCE of an O-Line that does not open lanes for Najee and forces 'Muth to stay in and block more than he should.
I guess I would have liked to have seen some off-season maneuvering, but I'm not sure who may have been available.

BEFORE the draft I wanted O-Line, O-Line, O-Line in the first three rounds and was mad when they didn't.
I understood the Najee pick, but was baffled by the 'Muth selection.
But even with Najee, I thought it was a wasted pick because now we'd have our future HOF QB and our new shiny toy both getting car killed on a weekly basis.......which is not far from reality.

I think we have a LOT of money to play with this off-season.
I sure hope that cash and our draft goes HEAVY to the O-Line.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly, Notorious DIC.
But I would like some caveats to this......

Looking at what we have in both Najee and Muuuuuuuuuuuth, I'm not sure I can say I'd rather have seen those picks go to O-Line.
It appears now that we hit those picks out of the park.
HOWEVER..........both the Harris and Pat picks are being wasted right now because we have ZERO SEMBLENCE of an O-Line that does not open lanes for Najee and forces 'Muth to stay in and block more than he should.
I guess I would have liked to have seen some off-season maneuvering, but I'm not sure who may have been available.

BEFORE the draft I wanted O-Line, O-Line, O-Line in the first three rounds and was mad when they didn't.
I understood the Najee pick, but was baffled by the 'Muth selection.
But even with Najee, I thought it was a wasted pick because now we'd have our future HOF QB and our new shiny toy both getting car killed on a weekly basis.......which is not far from reality.

I think we have a LOT of money to play with this off-season.
I sure hope that cash and our draft goes HEAVY to the O-Line.

Mr. fedderone, I agree with what you are saying. I'm a firm believer in building from the trenches up. I'm happy with Najee, who isn't. I' also very happy with Freirermuth had we brought in a more seasoned vet starting tackle or center.

I wanted 2 out the first three draft choices to be OL and there was a Plug and play Center available at our pick in Rnd 2. We needed bonafide OL We have two rookie starters who are playing their hearts out and I can't fault them for that. I also hope they both use the off-season to build on themselves to be better.

As for Najee in current state of affairs we will not see his full potential, not even close. How can anyone expecet him to do anything while being hit on his side of the line of scrimmage. Our OL has some to do with that but the OC play calling is very much a problem as well. Other teams have our system figured out. No surprise or dictation flow on offense at all. Najee has been amazing but totally on his own.

This off season we need a STUD plug and play OL, any of the 5 positions, Gaurd & RT being the weakest. It looks like we will be picking in top 10, and if we can get 2nd rnd pick for OL I'd be ok with that. Add a FA STARTER depth signing as well, that is the investment needed in 22 draft / FA.

If we don't put a heavy investment into 22 draft / FA of two quality OL we will be right back here again.

PS..................... nice post fedderone

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
This off season we need a STUD plug and play OL, any of the 5 positions, Gaurd & RT being the weakest. It looks like we will be picking in top 10, and if we can get 2nd rnd pick for OL I'd be ok with that. Add a FA STARTER depth signing as well, that is the investment needed in 22 draft / FA.

If we don't put a heavy investment into 22 draft / FA of two quality OL we will be right back here again.
We definitely need to invest heavily into the offensive line and they REALLY need their two rookies to take a huge step forward. Based on watching the games, I actual feel guard has been the strongest position with the stronger play bouncing back and forth between Dotson and Turner. Let's also be clear, they're playing at an average level right now. Okorafor hasn't been much better, but Green has stood out being worse. Moore is the worst lineman on the team, which isn't a surprise being a fourth rounder playing LT.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
Mr. fedderone, I agree with what you are saying. I'm a firm believer in building from the trenches up. I'm happy with Najee, who isn't. I' also very happy with Freirermuth had we brought in a more seasoned vet starting tackle or center.

I wanted 2 out the first three draft choices to be OL and there was a Plug and play Center available at our pick in Rnd 2. We needed bonafide OL We have two rookie starters who are playing their hearts out and I can't fault them for that. I also hope they both use the off-season to build on themselves to be better.

As for Najee in current state of affairs we will not see his full potential, not even close. How can anyone expecet him to do anything while being hit on his side of the line of scrimmage. Our OL has some to do with that but the OC play calling is very much a problem as well. Other teams have our system figured out. No surprise or dictation flow on offense at all. Najee has been amazing but totally on his own.

PS..................... nice post fedderone

Salute the nation
I’ll send the accolades RIGHT back, good sir.
You’re a man after my own heart.
I, too would rather have the multimillion dollar studs on the O and D lines. They can make average players look like game changers.
I’m with you on the coaching, but more on Tomlin than Canada.
I know this isn’t popular, but we are not a full year into Canada’s scheme. While I don’t like what I’ve seen this far, I’m not sure I’m comfortable hanging him just yet.
I don’t know enough to know when Ben’s running what Canada calls, when Ben audibles out, or when Tomlin overrides Canada.
I know we all sit here and type words like we know, but in reality we’re all guessing.
I do know that Canada has said they’re going to run what Ben’s comfortable with and Canada’s offense is mostly with the QB directly under center, which we rarely see Ben in.
Also not pointing a finger at Ben, though.
This was always a rebuild season for us. Ben restructured to help us. We kept him so he could cement his legacy and set some records. We knew our O-Line was garbage and we did nothing to address it. We needed another year to get rid of more dead money so we could pay TJ and Minkah and Dionte.
It’s also looking like we’re finding out who we can afford to lose, like Rudolph and Bush etc.
There’s no Ben replacement in the draft, at least what we all think we know now.
MAYBE we can squeeze a year or two out of A-Rodg if all the “flirting” is true. But even he ain’t coming if we don’t fix the O-Line.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I’ll send the accolades RIGHT back, good sir.
You’re a man after my own heart.
I, too would rather have the multimillion dollar studs on the O and D lines. They can make average players look like game changers.
I’m with you on the coaching, but more on Tomlin than Canada.
I know this isn’t popular, but we are not a full year into Canada’s scheme. While I don’t like what I’ve seen this far, I’m not sure I’m comfortable hanging him just yet.
I don’t know enough to know when Ben’s running what Canada calls, when Ben audibles out, or when Tomlin overrides Canada.
I know we all sit here and type words like we know, but in reality we’re all guessing.
I do know that Canada has said they’re going to run what Ben’s comfortable with and Canada’s offense is mostly with the QB directly under center, which we rarely see Ben in.
Also not pointing a finger at Ben, though.
This was always a rebuild season for us. Ben restructured to help us. We kept him so he could cement his legacy and set some records. We knew our O-Line was garbage and we did nothing to address it. We needed another year to get rid of more dead money so we could pay TJ and Minkah and Dionte.
It’s also looking like we’re finding out who we can afford to lose, like Rudolph and Bush etc.
There’s no Ben replacement in the draft, at least what we all think we know now.
MAYBE we can squeeze a year or two out of A-Rodg if all the “flirting” is true. But even he ain’t coming if we don’t fix the O-Line.

I hear that but A-rod is going to $$$cost$$$ a lot of money and more likely than not, draft capital which we don't have much and cannot afford to squander. I know the STEELERS seem to squeeze money out of turnips per sey but the draft capital and as dire a need(s) as we have make it a tough option. If everything can happen and that means heavy investment into the offensive line,... then go ahead and make it happen. Rogers would be a big 2-3yr fix and as said, we have a pretty young but talented team.

Salute the nation