• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is it time to start Mason Rudolph?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We definitely need to invest heavily into the offensive line and they REALLY need their two rookies to take a huge step forward. Based on watching the games, I actual feel guard has been the strongest position with the stronger play bouncing back and forth between Dotson and Turner. Let's also be clear, they're playing at an average level right now. Okorafor hasn't been much better, but Green has stood out being worse. Moore is the worst lineman on the team, which isn't a surprise being a fourth rounder playing LT.

You're right, both tackles, NOT RG guard. sorry not sure where my head was at while typing that. Keep in mind Dotson is out and his replacement hasn't been very good to date. In fact I'd counter that Dotson's replacement is the worse OL player.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
You're right, both tackles, NOT RG guard. sorry not sure where my head was at while typing that. Keep in mind Dotson is out and his replacement hasn't been very good to date. In fact I'd counter that Dotson's replacement is the worse OL player.
Dotson's replacement is a backup, so clearly worse. I should've added moving into next year, yes, we need a RG because there is no reason they need to bring Turner back in a starting role. I think realistically they look for upgrades at RG and RT and stick with the young guys at center and on the left side.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I am in the camp that the OL should have been fixed BEFORE going out and getting RB or TE. This year has been like going out and buying shiny new rims and tires for your car that won’t start.

I guess if they invest heavily in the OL next year, it’s not the end of the world.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
MAYBE we can squeeze a year or two out of A-Rodg if all the “flirting” is true. But even he ain’t coming if we don’t fix the O-Line.
So, you hate Rodgers too and just want to see him "legally" beaten to death behind this line?

steelhurt

Reaction score
Men, the problem imo and as we all agree start with the OL. I don’t care if it’s Ben or Rudy or anyone else for that matter, when the OL cannot pass block, cannot run block, the QB is finished. When you have zero running game it makes your game plan one dimensional hence the short passing game hoping for yac. Throw in Ben who has zero mobility and he becomes a statue easy to take down.
That’s where we are and every team we play knows it.
Now on the other side of the ball you have zero defense line except for Cam who is constantly double teamed. The other guys are strictly backup guys and not very good ones who are your starters.
Linebackers are ok with TJ being your bright spot. Highsmith still developing, Schoebert is ok but nothing special, Bush has been terrible.So now you have a front seven who cannot stop the run which makes for an efficient passing game against your defense. Burrow didn’t pass for big numbers because he didn’t have to with the running game he had.
So bottom line, you cannot run and you cannot stop the run and that my friends is a recipe for disaster and lots of losses.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I’d rather watch paint dry he’s a bust.. career back up why buy a ticket to watch backups

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Everybody talking about drafting a QB. Name one coming out this year who is actually worth drafting over OL, DL, CB, ILB, and a true deep threat WR. I know some of those needs SHOULD be filled through FA, but I don't see one QB coming out that I would want on the team at the expense of filling needs that can't be filled during FA. Not even the suddenly revered Kenny "it took me 5 years of college ball, and boy am I glad for that extra 'Covid Year' to blossom" Pickett.
Yeah, 'cause the Steelers will be much better off next year with Dwayne "I Had One Good Year in College as a Sophomore, and Boy Am I Glad that I'm Barely Hanging on an NFL Roster as a Third-Stringer Three Years Later" Haskins.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, 'cause the Steelers will be much better off next year with Dwayne "I Had One Good Year in College as a Sophomore, and Boy Am I Glad that I'm Barely Hanging on an NFL Roster as a Third-Stringer Three Years Later" Haskins.
Hmmm, did I mention starting Haskins next year in my post? No? Might just be a reason for that.
Pickett on the other hand is a 1 year wonder five years in the making. And, I personally, wouldn't waste the draft capital on him with so many other needs. I'm sure you disagree. I don't care.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm, did I mention starting Haskins next year in my post? No? Might just be a reason for that.
Pickett on the other hand is a 1 year wonder five years in the making. And, I personally, wouldn't waste the draft capital on him with so many other needs. I'm sure you disagree. I don't care.
No, you didn't mention Haskins. I brought him up because he basically had the polar opposite of Kenny Pickett's college career, and he happens to be on the Steelers roster. And he sucks. Not that hard to figure out. And you cared enough to reply...how sweet.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I also read that he only has 8" or there about hands. That is another reason to reconsider his availability. A 5 year man amongst 3 year boys and that role will be reversed should he make the NFL.

Salute the nation

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
No, you didn't mention Haskins. I brought him up because he basically had the polar opposite of Kenny Pickett's college career, and he happens to be on the Steelers roster. And he sucks. Not that hard to figure out. And you cared enough to reply...how sweet.
So nice of you to backtrack and explain. I really must apologize, it appears that my personal opinion of Pickett triggered some type of "Pickett Fence" defense mechanism with you. Not my intent of course. But one never knows what type of infatuation others may have. However, let's be clear, Pickett will not get five years to prove himself at the NFL level. He was slow to grasp the college game and will be slower to grasp the professional game. He'll be a bust.
As for Haskins, he is what he is. So what? I notice you didn't include an "assessment" of Rudolph in your thoughts of QBs who are on the roster. He's actually the only one signed for next year.
And, replying was the polite thing to do since you took the time to go out of your way to respond to my post. I think it was absolutely darling of you to do so.

Last edited:

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
So nice of you to backtrack and explain. I really must apologize, it appears that my personal opinion of Pickett triggered some type of "Pickett Fence" defense mechanism with you. Not my intent of course. But one never knows what type of infatuation others may have. However, let's be clear, Pickett will not get five years to prove himself at the NFL level. He was slow to grasp the college game and will be slower to grasp the professional game. He'll be a bust.
As for Haskins, he is what he is. So what? I notice you didn't include an "assessment" of Rudolph in your thoughts of QBs who are on the roster. He's actually the only one signed for next year.
And, replying was the polite thing to do since you took the time to go out of your way to respond to my post. I think it was absolutely darling of you to do so.
Where did I "backtrack"? I had to explain to you why I brought Haskins into the discussion. I didn't mention Rudolph because he has nothing to do with the comparison.

You've expressed your personal opinion about Pickett in at least three different threads now, that I've seen. At least. We get it -- evidently it really bothers you that the guy took advantage of the extra year of eligibility afforded to him because of COVID, and for some reason, to you, his great play this year should be completely discounted. Seems like the pattern of an agenda rather than an opinion. An infatuation, if you will. So, yeah, I thought it was time to point out that Pickett staying in school and improving himself before turning pro might not be such a bad thing.

You're doing such a great job of not caring. Keep it up, champ.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Where did I "backtrack"? I had to explain to you why I brought Haskins into the discussion. I didn't mention Rudolph because he has nothing to do with the comparison.

You've expressed your personal opinion about Pickett in at least three different threads now, that I've seen. At least. We get it -- evidently it really bothers you that the guy took advantage of the extra year of eligibility afforded to him because of COVID, and for some reason, to you, his great play this year should be completely discounted. Seems like the pattern of an agenda rather than an opinion. An infatuation, if you will. So, yeah, I thought it was time to point out that Pickett staying in school and improving himself before turning pro might not be such a bad thing.

You're doing such a great job of not caring. Keep it up, champ.
I think I will Squeaky. I think I will.
I mean, the thread was about RUDOLPH and at least my post addressed why I would not supplant him with a QB from the draft. Yours? Nah, you didn't address Rudolph at all. Which means, you just felt a little touched about my thoughts on Pickett and felt a need to offer some defense. As far as my repeating my thoughts on Kenny "Just give me five years, I'll figure it out" Pickett. I'll do that when I please too. Sorry, if that opinion triggers some type of reflex about your little man crush Snowflake.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
I don't think this year is that bad. Next year will be worse, potentially much worse. If Ben comes back for some reason then it will just be back the regular bad but if he does not come back - it will be a disaster.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I think I will Squeaky. I think I will.
I mean, the thread was about RUDOLPH and at least my post addressed why I would not supplant him with a QB from the draft. Yours? Nah, you didn't address Rudolph at all. Which means, you just felt a little touched about my thoughts on Pickett and felt a need to offer some defense. As far as my repeating my thoughts on Kenny "Just give me five years, I'll figure it out" Pickett. I'll do that when I please too. Sorry, if that opinion triggers some type of reflex about your little man crush Snowflake.
Oh, so you do care now. What a nice backtrack.

You wouldn't supplant Rudolph next year. Great. But the only quarterback you happened to mention was Kenny Pickett. Again. I don't have a man-crush on the guy, I just find your continued bashing of his great season this year to be inane and annoying. Just like you.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
So lets see you want Mason with the same line that cannot block for running or pass game and Ben has to get rid of the ball fast, cant step into pass with players all around him. Yea that would work.

diver

Reaction score
I would start whoever practices full time. If you have to miss practice time, you don't play.

Timing continues to be an issue, and it will not be solved if the QB can't practice. They can look like **** and lose with Rudolph or Haskins, too. Because they are looking like **** with Ben.

I could understand if they were winning, even if they were winning ugly keeping Ben in with his lack of practice. But not as it is.

diver

Reaction score
I remember in '08, and granted Ben was younger, but he put together a string of substandard performances...they lost to the Colts and Giants if I recall at home. Tomlin had a set of balls then, and he told Ben if he didn't get back to practicing full time he wouldn't play. Anyway, that is what was reported in the papers. Maybe they need to go there again.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, so you do care now. What a nice backtrack.

You wouldn't supplant Rudolph next year. Great. But the only quarterback you happened to mention was Kenny Pickett. Again. I don't have a man-crush on the guy, I just find your continued bashing of his great season this year to be inane and annoying. Just like you.
Sorry, not sorry, but I'm not going to read whatever drivel you wrote above.
giphy.gif

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not going to read all three pages of drivel, I'll simply state my opinion on the matter. I draw from a very recent event, one in which the New York Giants benched Eli Manning during his final year, breaking his streak of games started, all in favor of....Geno Smith. First of all, the Giants knew that Smith was not the future of the franchise, and they started him anyway. We all know that Mason is not the future of this franchise, he may end up being the starter next year, but he is not the future.

For everything that Eli did for the Giants franchise, it was a slap in the face to sit him that game. He didn't create a fuss or anything, but deep down, I just know that had to piss him off. I'm not willing to do that to arguably the greatest QB this franchise has seen. He deserves way better. Sink or swim the rest of the year, enjoy the ride because it's about to end. So hop on over to youtube, type in Ben Roethlisberger, and watch some career highlights and remember what all he has done for us, and let him go out how he wants to go out, not on the bench for Mason Rudolph or Dwayne Haskins, GTFO

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I didn't read the entire thread, but Mason and Haskins suck they aren't the future, Ben isn't anything near what he was, but he's better than those two, it's not like we are holding back a guy we picked in the first round last year so Ben can play. Let Ben play this season out and what happens, happens.