• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is Tomlin viewed more favorably outside of SN

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
of course we are

but many don't see the same shortcomings in the other "Great" coaches. they don't live and die by the decisions made by those guys, they don't watch the games with the same intensity. ALL coaches make mistakes, ALL coaches could improve on many of the same things we find fault with Tomlin for
This. For all of Shades’ shortcomings and boneheaded ****, it’s real easy to name 20 HC’s who are worse but you can’t name 10 who are better.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I would never say he is a clueless bumbling idiot. What I would say is he can't fix a problem on the team by coaching it up nor can he hire coaches who can. He also is mid at best on the x and o front. He relies upon being what they are over stopping what the other team does. Tomlin with Lebeau and Arians great. Tomlin without middle at best and that doesn't usually buy you the time he has got here.

TheRealTazz864

Lowest IQ
Reaction score
Yep. Yet the deluded want you to believe that "we're lucky" and others would die to have him (which is complete and total bullshit).

I live outside of SN and I don't know anyone who speaks highly of him, or has ever claimed to want him as their coach. That is simply a statement of fact.
That is an OPINION, and one not based on any fact, therefore, baseless... Your experience is different from most of the Steelers' fans I've encountered outside the Three Rivers' area....

TheRealTazz864

Lowest IQ
Reaction score
Yes, because all the rest of the country knows is "No losing seasons" and are unaware of his abysmal playoff record.
Hopefully that plus his creative use of language will be enough to get him a TV gig soon.
Tomlin HAS a losing record. He is 8-9
Tomlin is 8-7... above .500 in the playoffs... Above average... Hardly abysmal......

Last edited:

Steelmann

Reaction score
I would never say he is a clueless bumbling idiot. What I would say is he can't fix a problem on the team by coaching it up nor can he hire coaches who can. He also is mid at best on the x and o front. He relies upon being what they are over stopping what the other team does. Tomlin with Lebeau and Arians great. Tomlin without middle at best and that doesn't usually buy you the time he has got here.
Curiously enough you say with Tomlin and Arians great. I think 95% of this board wanted Arians gone. If not higher. Anybody that was on the board knows the reasons.
Just an observation.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Tomlin is 8-7... above .500 in the playoffs... Above average... Hardly abysmal......
5 of those wins came early with the team and staff he inherited. Since the team has been all his, he’s won 3 playoff games in the last 11 years and none in the last 6 years. Hence, abysmal.

diver

Reaction score
5 of those wins came early with the team and staff he inherited. Since the team has been all his, he’s won 3 playoff games in the last 11 years and none in the last 6 years. Hence, abysmal.
Ron, man, I agree with most of what you say, but I hate that "inherited" thing. The guy was the coach when he won, there should be no caveats there.

It's like this. Let's say we are both into fly fishing, and we are on a stream. I'm not catching ****, but you are killing them. You let me have one of the flies you are using and I begin to catch trout. Who gets credit for the trout I catch?

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I think that each season he does as good a coaching job as he can possibly do.
Which since the team has been all his, means at best 10-12 wins and a first round playoff loss.
That's his ceiling. I'm over it.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The real question should be, "Should the Steelers be satisfied with a good-not-great coach?" Tomlin is good. He rallied an 0-4 team to an 8-8 record. He had a team with rookies Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges at 8-5 and competing for a playoff spot.

However, he is most definitely not a great coach. Great coaches win in upsets in the playoffs. Tomlin has never done that. Great coaches get the most out of a team. Tomlin rarely does that.

So I answer the question, "No." Noll was great. Cowher was great. Tomlin is not great and that is not going to change at this point.

"Oh, but the Steelers could do sooo much worse!" I'll give you that. So what? Find the next great coach. Just being good is not good enough.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Ron, man, I agree with most of what you say, but I hate that "inherited" thing. The guy was the coach when he won, there should be no caveats there.

It's like this. Let's say we are both into fly fishing, and we are on a stream. I'm not catching ****, but you are killing them. You let me have one of the flies you are using and I begin to catch trout. Who gets credit for the trout I catch?
Except the team got increasingly worse as Cowher’s players and coaches retired or moved on. Shades has had 11 years to do it on his own and hasn’t showed me anything yet.

The better fly gets the credit, just like better players and staff. You haven’t changed the way you fish.

diver

Reaction score
Except the team got increasingly worse as Cowher’s players and coaches retired or moved on. Shades has had 11 years to do it on his own and hasn’t showed me anything yet.

The better fly gets the credit, just like better players and staff. You haven’t changed the way you fish.
I'm not arguing the first part.

So I can't brag about the fish I caught?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
The real question should be, "Should the Steelers be satisfied with a good-not-great coach?" Tomlin is good. He rallied an 0-4 team to an 8-8 record. He had a team with rookies Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges at 8-5 and competing for a playoff spot.

However, he is most definitely not a great coach. Great coaches win in upsets in the playoffs. Tomlin has never done that. Great coaches get the most out of a team. Tomlin rarely does that.

So I answer the question, "No." Noll was great. Cowher was great. Tomlin is not great and that is not going to change at this point.

"Oh, but the Steelers could do sooo much worse!" I'll give you that. So what? Find the next great coach. Just being good is not good enough.
Exactly. Tomlin is a good coach but not a great coach. The Steelers can beat bad teams (usually). They can beat a good team that’s having a bad day. They cannot beat a good team that’s having a good day.
Note to the newbie here…. Until proven otherwise I will always say that Tomlin won everything he won with Cowher’s players and staff. Get used to it.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I'm not arguing the first part.

So I can't brag about the fish I caught?
You can, but I know the truth.
The MT nuthuggers brag about him too.

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers are 8-9 since 2007, who's responsible for the other two losses?

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Note to the newbie here…. Until proven otherwise I will always say that Tomlin won everything he won with Cowher’s players and staff. Get used to it.

Hooooold up there, Ron. It's not like Tomlin got a team with a HOF QB in the prime of his career, a should-be HOF WR, another very good WR, an excellent TE, a superb DL, a HOF safety, another guy who as DPOY-to-be, an elite CB, and a HOF defensive coach.

Wait ...

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Curiously enough you say with Tomlin and Arians great. I think 95% of this board wanted Arians gone. If not higher. Anybody that was on the board knows the reasons.
Just an observation.
Arians would have gotten Ben killed and he would have played 2/3 to 3/4 of of what he played. However, he got the most out what Ben was at the time. They were unpredictable. Tomlin needs X and O and technique people so he can focus in the things he does well. Without they have problems.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
If only MT gave the reigns to capable OCs and DCs to handle the playcalling x & o's he would look freaking brilliant and HoF bound.

Hopefully the Flores hiring paired with Austin is a good start, not so much faith in Canada though

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, yes he is. Steeler Nation is spoiled. Many here must not watch any games other than the Steelers or pay attention to what other teams do

is Tomlin perfect, definitely not, but he is not the clueless bumbling idiot several here want you to believe he is

Well I don’t need to watch other teams to know a 14 Year HC that can’t grasp game prep or clock management is mediocre at best.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
The real question should be, "Should the Steelers be satisfied with a good-not-great coach?"
Art The Deuce is okay with it as long as the money keeps rolling in. Obviously.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
If only MT gave the reigns to capable OCs and DCs to handle the playcalling x & o's he would look freaking brilliant and HoF bound.

Hopefully the Flores hiring paired with Austin is a good start, not so much faith in Canada though
We’ll have to see if he can keep his mitts off the defense and leaves Flores and Austin to do their jobs. Although if he was going to hire Flores I’d prefer he was the DC and not Austin but Austin might have already been promoted when Flores became available.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
We’ll have to see if he can keep his mitts off the defense and leaves Flores and Austin to do their jobs. Although if he was going to hire Flores I’d prefer he was the DC and not Austin but Austin might have already been promoted when Flores became available.
I think Austin will take the DBs and Flores the front 7. Probably the play call should go to Austin as was first hired but with flores input in the design and weekly game plan

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin is NOT 8-7 in the playoffs. He IS 8-9 in the postseason. And 0-4 in his last 4 playoff games.

Stop posting bullshit.