• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is Tomlin viewed more favorably outside of SN

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Meh im a coaching and strategy snob… I’ve said it before… Tomlin is probably top five and definitely top ten in coaching, butvthecstate of current NFL head coaches is abysmal… take cheaty mcCheaterson out of the mix and you have a heavily flawed andy reid and a bunch of mediocre strategies and visions there… noll was a finely aged Scotch, Cowher was just a high proof whiskey with a brand name. Tomlin is an expensive french wine

Noll was the real deal and was worth every penny.
Cowher sounded good and was just looking to batter you with his scheme and players… he was best blended with other coaches

Tomlin sounds great and what he does good he does great, but he still is most likely going to be beaten by some 9 dollar bottle of no name wine in most situations..

TheRealTazz864

Lowest IQ
Reaction score
Tomlin is NOT 8-7 in the playoffs. He IS 8-9 in the postseason. And 0-4 in his last 4 playoff games.

Stop posting bullshit.
It's amazing what refreshing a website can do.... Technically, he was 8-7.... Technically, he was 8-5.... not too shabby... I wonder how many HCs, in general, have come and gone since he's been HC... I can't think of any black coaches that have lasted longer in the NFL...
Now hold on here.... If the Steelers have retained Tomlin for 15 seasons... he's lost 7 in the first round of the playoffs in 15 years... True, he was unsuccessful in the playoffs... eventually...

Last edited:

diver

Reaction score
You can, but I know the truth.
The MT nuthuggers brag about him too.
The truth is that even with the better fly, if I am some kind of a hack out there I'm not gonna catch anything. I have to guide the fly properly, place it where it needs to be, keep it from getting caught up and then when I get a hit, make the hookup. The fly can't do that all on it's own.

Nobody is arguing Tomlin was give a nice "fly." But in 2008 he deserves the credit for guiding that team to a SB and then setting the hook and winning it. That shouldn't be minimized.

Would ya rather he lost?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Personally, I find it absolutely amazing that there's this supposed hot market for a HC that:

- Can't make in game adjustments to save his life
- Manages the clock horribly
- Is unable to control a locker room
- Has consistently played down to sub par teams through the years (and would have lost to good teams too had Ben not saved his *** on numerous occasions)
- Tied an 0-8 Lions team
- Sounds like a complete and total tosser at ALL of his press conferences
- Could never beat Belichick when it mattered most
- Hires and promotes sh*t coordinators

So, there are teams that would kill to be this lucky?

Has a losing record in the playoffs. 43+ other coaches who have at least coached four playoff games have a 500 or better record. 1 coach that I can think of is worse.

It has been six years since we won a playoff game. The vast majority of NFL teams have won one over the course of six years. Can you name them? That's how irrelevant we have been for six years.

RankCoachWLW/L%Champs *Super
Bowls
1Bill Belichick31130.70566
2Tom Landry20160.55622
3Andy Reid19160.54311
3Don Shula19170.52822
5Joe Gibbs1770.70833
6Chuck Noll1680.66744
7Mike Holmgren13110.54211
8Tom Coughlin1270.63222
8Bill Cowher1290.57111
10Dan Reeves1190.5500
10Bill Parcells1180.57922
10Pete Carroll11100.52411
10Marv Levy1180.57900
10John Harbaugh1180.57911
15Bud Grant10120.45500
15Mike McCarthy1090.52611
15George Seifert1050.66722
15Bill Walsh1040.71433
19Paul Brown980.52970
19Sean Payton980.52911
19Tony Dungy9100.47411
19John Madden970.56311
19Vince Lombardi910.952
19Jimmy Johnson940.69222
25Mike Shanahan8 6
25Mike Tomlin890.47111
25John Fox870.53300
25Tom Flores830.72722
29Chuck Knox7110.38900
30George Halas630.66760
30Mike Ditka660.511
30Dick Vermeil650.54511
30Bruce Arians630.66711
30Sean McVay630.66700
35Jeff Fisher560.45500
35Hank Stram530.62531
35Jon Gruden540.55611
35Gary Kubiak520.71411
35Brian Billick530.62511
35Jim Harbaugh530.62500
35Barry Switzer520.71411
43Weeb Ewbank410.831
43Norv Turner440.500
43Bum Phillips430.57100
43John Robinson460.400
43Rex Ryan420.66700
43Ken Whisenhunt420.66700
43Doug Pederson420.66711
43Don McCafferty410.811
43Kyle Shanahan420.66700
53Curly Lambeau320.660
53Don Coryell360.33300
53Buddy Parker310.7520
53Lovie Smith330.500
53Sam Wyche320.600

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
We’ll have to see if he can keep his mitts off the defense and leaves Flores and Austin to do their jobs. Although if he was going to hire Flores I’d prefer he was the DC and not Austin but Austin might have already been promoted when Flores became available.
I'm a little concerned about two many cooks in the kitchen.

TheRealTazz864

Lowest IQ
Reaction score
Has a losing record in the playoffs. 43+ other coaches who have at least coached four playoff games have a 500 or better record. 1 coach that I can think of is worse.

It has been six years since we won a playoff game. The vast majority of NFL teams have won one over the course of six years. Can you name them? That's how irrelevant we have been for six years.
This is why I hated statistics in high school.... You are cutting corners.... It has been 4 SEASONS since the Steelers (You still didn't make the team, there still is no "we...") have made the playoffs. If you've paid any attention at all, you've noticed that football seasons are defined by TWO years each (for instance, the upcoming season is the 2022-2023 SEASON...even though we're not even halfway to 2023...)

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
The truth is that even with the better fly, if I am some kind of a hack out there I'm not gonna catch anything. I have to guide the fly properly, place it where it needs to be, keep it from getting caught up and then when I get a hit, make the hookup. The fly can't do that all on it's own.

Nobody is arguing Tomlin was give a nice "fly." But in 2008 he deserves the credit for guiding that team to a SB and then setting the hook and winning it. That shouldn't be minimized.

Would ya rather he lost?
He's been losing in the playoffs. Regular season record is pumped up by having the Browns and Bengals in our division.
2008 team had 27 players from the 2005 SB team and the 2010 team had 11 players, mostly starters, and almost the entire coaching staff.
I'd give him more credit if he could do it on his own but the last 11 years have proven that he can't.
He's got to ONE AFCCG in the last 11 years, beating two teams with backup QB's to get there, and then Belicheat and Br*dy kicked his *** as they usually do.
Since the team has been all his except for a Hall of Fame QB, he has accomplished nothing. I repeat...nothing.
If him and the MT Fanboys want to shut me up then fine, get to a Super Bowl. Heck, even win a playoff game.
Until then, I will always be here saying he won everything he won with Cowher's players and staff. I'm sure he knows it and I'm sure he hears it, so if he doesn't like it then he can go out and win a playoff game or two with HIS team.

diver

Reaction score
He's been losing in the playoffs. Regular season record is pumped up by having the Browns and Bengals in our division.
2008 team had 27 players from the 2005 SB team and the 2010 team had 11 players, mostly starters, and almost the entire coaching staff.
I'd give him more credit if he could do it on his own but the last 11 years have proven that he can't.
He's got to ONE AFCCG in the last 11 years, beating two teams with backup QB's to get there, and then Belicheat and Br*dy kicked his *** as they usually do.
Since the team has been all his except for a Hall of Fame QB, he has accomplished nothing. I repeat...nothing.
If him and the MT Fanboys want to shut me up then fine, get to a Super Bowl. Heck, even win a playoff game.
Until then, I will always be here saying he won everything he won with Cowher's players and staff. I'm sure he knows it and I'm sure he hears it, so if he doesn't like it then he can go out and win a playoff game or two with HIS team.
You are arguing two things. I do not disagree with you about Tomlin since his Super Bowl victory. He deserves credit for being the head coach in that season though. Totally and absolutely with no caveats.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think that each season he does as good a coaching job as he can possibly do.
Which since the team has been all his, means at best 10-12 wins and a first round playoff loss.

I have a tendency to agree with this, at best 10-12 wins but more often than not (lately) less than 10 wins and like Ron says, early out in the POs.

If he could just get a little bit ore traction he might ake a climb and then we (most) can all eat crow for a year or twenty. I'd gladly eat the crow if Coach Tomlin can consistently step up his game.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He has a losing playoff record with a HOF QB his entire career ,Cowher was 5 - 1 in the playoffs with the same QB.Tomlon does less with more than any head coach in NFL history.

THIS

T
This is my biggest disappointment with coach Tomlin, bar none.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I have a tendency to agree with this, at best 10-12 wins but more often than not (lately) less than 10 wins and like Ron says, early out in the POs.

If he could just get a little bit ore traction he might ake a climb and then we (most) can all eat crow for a year or twenty. I'd gladly eat the crow if Coach Tomlin can consistently step up his game.
With the talent we've had, 3 playoff wins in 11 years (with 2 of them against backup QB's) simply isn't good enough.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
With the talent we've had, 3 playoff wins in 11 years (with 2 of them against backup QB's) simply isn't good enough.

FULLY agree.!! Especially with the talent we have had. HOF QB and two very good players, RB & WR. We've had great talent his entire tenure so far but yet nothing in PO production.

Salute the nation

diver

Reaction score
@Ron Burgundy - thanks for speaking for me. You're nailing it.

Ben's career was squandered on arena league coach.
No it wasn't. If his career was "squandered," he himself is also responsible for that. It wasn't like Ben was tearing it up in the playoffs after the 2010 AFCC game.

I'll always come back to this point on Tomlin. I agree with most of what is said about his coaching. I wish they had moved on. But I don't like certain arguments. I don't think they are necessary. The results are enough.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
No it wasn't. If his career was "squandered," he himself is also responsible for that. It wasn't like Ben was tearing it up in the playoffs after the 2010 AFCC game.

I'll always come back to this point on Tomlin. I agree with most of what is said about his coaching. I wish they had moved on. But I don't like certain arguments. I don't think they are necessary. The results are enough.
Except Ben doesn't play defense. Only team in history to allow more than 40 points in three consecutive playoff games.
You would think if we scored 37 points or 42 points it would be enough to win, but noooo..... Made Baker Mayfield look like Tom Br*dy and hung 48 on us.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Except Ben doesn't play defense. Only team in history to allow more than 40 points in three consecutive playoff games.
You would think if we scored 37 points or 42 points it would be enough to win, but noooo..... Made Baker Mayfield look like Tom Br*dy and hung 48 on us.

ALSO some of the stupidest f-ucking game plans ever. Instead of exploiting the opposing teams weakness he comes out and tries to exploit their stregnth.

Oponent Top 5 against the run and 28th against the pass and all we do is try to rush and not pick on the weak secndary. even though it's there.

What about in game we find something that works offensively and then abandone it ?

to many bonehead in game type **** to just ignore.

Salute the nation

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score

I just disagree.

Ben carried that team very often. Any mid-tier scheme would have won more. Any coach who CHANGED HIS SIGNALS AND SETS WHEN PLAYING THE CHEATERS would have won more. Any coach who has heard of halftime adjustments, or getting rid of non-performing plays, playing to an opponents weaknesses, not just "I called a play. You didn't execute" would have done better.

Tomlin won't, can't, or never heard of these things.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I just disagree.

Ben carried that team very often. Any mid-tier scheme would have won more. Any coach who CHANGED HIS SIGNALS AND SETS WHEN PLAYING THE CHEATERS would have won more. Any coach who has heard of halftime adjustments, or getting rid of non-performing plays, playing to an opponents weaknesses, not just "I called a play. You didn't execute" would have done better.

Many let the stats get to his betterment but fail to remember some of the most stupidest things on field. Inoportune attemps at the 2 point conversion coming back to haunt, Non-field goal attemps to haunt later in game. 1st and goal from the 3 and all pass plays saving clock for opponent, amongst many many more.

That is how you squander a HOF qaurterback.

Salute the nation

diver

Reaction score
I just disagree.

To me this is all speculation and too easy for someone to say, 'Well, we don't know that and veer the discussion.

I know they have lost. They haven't won **** in what, 14 years? That is absolutely indisputable and should have been, or should be enough for a change. There is no speculation there, it is easily provable.

diver

Reaction score
Like the squandering a QB thing, let's not do revisionist history. Yes, the defense sucked and when you look at the stat line Ben looks great. But the truth is those numbers came when the game was getting away from them. ben was also a culprit getting them in that situation, throwing picks or forcing low percentage throws or whatever.

Has Green Bay squandered Rodgers or does he share some of the blame for their failures? Or is it only Ben that was some lump of clay who had no control over outcomes?

Wolf44

Reaction score
When the Packers were losing secondary players and Tomlin did not attack their rookie replacements and said after the game we were not going to change our gameplay to take advantage of the replacements is when he lost me. Dumb guy, dumb coach, stubborn as a mule and a word salad guy who thinks he is always the smartest guy in the room when he is in fact usually the dumbest.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
It's amazing what refreshing a website can do.... Technically, he was 8-7.... Technically, he was 8-5.... not too shabby... I wonder how many HCs, in general, have come and gone since he's been HC... I can't think of any black coaches that have lasted longer in the NFL...
Now hold on here.... If the Steelers have retained Tomlin for 15 seasons... he's lost 7 in the first round of the playoffs in 15 years... True, he was unsuccessful in the playoffs... eventually...
Technically, refreshing a website has sh*t to do with factual information that's been the same for months. Since you seem to be having great difficulties with the simple certainty that Tomlin is indeed 8-9 in the playoffs, I'll spell out the details for you (I'll try to type slowly):

Tomlin has coached the Steelers for 15 seasons. His teams have made the postseason 10 times.

Super Bowl win (2008): 3-0
Super Bowl loss (2010): 2-1
AFC Championship loss (2016): 2-1
Divisional round loss (2015): 1-1
Six others one-and-done: 0-6 (not 7 as you indicated above)

Now, if you add up the grand total there, my friend, what do you get? Why, yes, it's 8-9! See how that works? Amazing!

This is why I hated statistics in high school.... You are cutting corners.... It has been 4 SEASONS since the Steelers (You still didn't make the team, there still is no "we...") have made the playoffs. If you've paid any attention at all, you've noticed that football seasons are defined by TWO years each (for instance, the upcoming season is the 2022-2023 SEASON...even though we're not even halfway to 2023...)
Jesus Christ. No, it's not been 4 seasons since the Steelers made the playoffs, since they made them last season. It has, however, been FIVE seasons without a postseason win, which last came in January of 2017 (the conclusion of the 2016 season).

Let's count them together!

No playoff wins in the 2017 season...one!
No playoff wins in the 2018 season...two!
No playoff wins in the 2019 season...three!
No playoff wins in the 2020 season...four!
No playoff wins in the 2021 season...five!

Yay!

All cleared up, big guy? Ready for a Juicy Juice?

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
If only MT gave the reigns to capable OCs and DCs to handle the playcalling x & o's he would look freaking brilliant and HoF bound.

Hopefully the Flores hiring paired with Austin is a good start, not so much faith in Canada though
This is MT's biggest weakness in my opinion. His ego won't allow him to hire assistants he deems smarter than he is, and those he does hire aren't given
control to do the job they were hired for. Wash, rinse, repeat.