• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

It’s time to let Roethlisberger call his plays

FordFairLane

Reaction score
This IS Roethlisberger’s last season and the only time the offense looked good was at the end of the GB game when Roethlisberger played backyard football and called plays at the line. Lets send him out calling his own shots. Win or lose who cares. Let him go out swinging.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't think it'll look a whole lot different. Throw out patterns and short passes to receivers through three quarters. Take a few token deep shots that are overthrown. When the game is out of reach in the fourth, take advantage of the defense giving you space and give fans the fodder needed to say the QB still has it. It's been the same thing every week this season and for the back end of last season.

I agree letting him start the rest of the season as it gives the Steelers their best chance to draft a QB high.

Steelmann

Reaction score
This IS Roethlisberger’s last season and the only time the offense looked good was at the end of the GB game when Roethlisberger played backyard football and called plays at the line. Lets send him out calling his own shots. Win or lose who cares. Let him go out swinging.
Sorry. I had to laugh at this. “ the only time Ben looked good.........” Have you not noticed the only time he looks good and gets stats is when they are behind and the D is giving them yards. For a long time now. Sorry. But seriously.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Sorry. I had to laugh at this. “ the only time Ben looked good.........” Have you not noticed the only time he looks good and gets stats is when they are behind and the D is giving them yards. For a long time now. Sorry. But seriously.
What do we have to lose? We are going to lose 15 games the way we are going. And it was early enough in the game where they weren’t playing prevent defense. It was cover 2 zone. I say win or lose let Ben run the offense. It’s his last year and we are a **** team. Worst case scenario it doesn’t help and we still lose 15 games. Best case scenario our offense starts to move the ball and we sneak into the playoffs. We literally have nothing to lose.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I don't think it'll look a whole lot different. Throw out patterns and short passes to receivers through three quarters. Take a few token deep shots that are overthrown. When the game is out of reach in the fourth, take advantage of the defense giving you space and give fans the fodder needed to say the QB still has it. It's been the same thing every week this season and for the back end of last season.

I agree letting him start the rest of the season as it gives the Steelers their best chance to draft a QB high.
There isn’t a single qb coming out that i give a high probability of being a franchise QB… this past draft was tge draft to grab one… we probably will need to wait two years to get a solid prospect… seriously given their size and arm talent, I don’t think one of next years guys would be a first round pick in the last draft…

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The play calling is not causing Ben to miss throws to receivers 8 feet away.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
There isn’t a single qb coming out that i give a high probability of being a franchise QB… this past draft was tge draft to grab one… we probably will need to wait two years to get a solid prospect… seriously given their size and arm talent, I don’t think one of next years guys would be a first round pick in the last draft…

I'm thinking we will fly with Rudolf next season and then look hard for up-coming QB.

Salute the nation

maowv

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben may be washed up, maybe he has a bit left. We don't know for sure because anyone other than Jesus Christ playing QB for the Steelers right now would fail with these stupid play calls.

How many 4th and whatevers are we going to watch a dump off pass that is 3 yards behind the first down markers before a change is made????? It isn't working, it didn't work last year under the prior OC, and there is no reason for the new guy to continue to employ the same stupid plan that hasn't worked in the first 4 games and didn't work last year.

I know Ben is done or nearly done but would any other QB do a better job of executing a bad gameplan? We are not only a bad football team right now, we are a STUPID football team right now.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Ben may be washed up, maybe he has a bit left. We don't know for sure because anyone other than Jesus Christ playing QB for the Steelers right now would fail with these stupid play calls.

How many 4th and whatevers are we going to watch a dump off pass that is 3 yards behind the first down markers before a change is made????? It isn't working, it didn't work last year under the prior OC, and there is no reason for the new guy to continue to employ the same stupid plan that hasn't worked in the first 4 games and didn't work last year.

I know Ben is done or nearly done but would any other QB do a better job of executing a bad gameplan? We are not only a bad football team right now, we are a STUPID football team right now.
Yeah, another dump off to Harris on 4th down gave me Forest Whitaker eye. Ben has never been a cerebral QB like Manning or Brady. He’s closer to Brett Favre in the sense he slings it. Let him call the plays, keep the tempo up, wear down the defense. Ben will mix up enough run plays to keep the defense honest and at the very least it will be entertaining to watch. Right now I need a barf bag to watch this offense

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
First drive. Offense looked good.
There are certainly short periods where the offense looks somewhat competent, but they are few and far between. I honestly think Ben is worried about getting hit and either being sacked or fumbling on pretty much every play, and due to that he's rushing and he's not as accurate as he should be.

While I prefer the idea of Ben calling his own plays, and certainly I suppose he'd feel more comfortable, unless the line can give him some concept of confidence in them, I don't know how he's going to get beyond expecting to get hit on every play and thus playing to get rid of the ball as fast as possible, regardless of the accuracy or timing of the throw.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The play calling is not causing Ben to miss throws to receivers 8 feet away.
No. I think it's the deep down belief that if he doesn't get rid of the ball in under 2 seconds he's going to be crushed and possibly fumble the ball or lose yardage on the sack.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
How many 4th and whatevers are we going to watch a dump off pass that is 3 yards behind the first down markers before a change is made?
I love Ben. But on the first one, he had Muth wide open in the middle of the field and he never even looked that way. Right now, Ben is just running the plays the way their drawn up and he doesn't seem to be willing to try to extend anything or create something.
Mentioned in another thread, younger Ben NEVER throws that ball to Harris. Younger Ben finds a way to extend the play and throw to someone who has a chance. What was most concerning to me is that Ben didn't even LOOK at the middle of the field. He took the snap and he was going to Harris come hell or high water. He just wanted to get rid of the ball so HE wasn't the one who got tackled for a loss.

mdk2

Reaction score
It's crazy that there is not a no huddle offense in place. Even down 17, no no huddle. It's so weird.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I'm thinking we will fly with Rudolf next season and then look hard for up-coming QB.

Salute the nation
Thats the smart money bet… give the two we have the chance to battle it out… the last thing we should do is commit to the first qb prospect that comes along and sink 3 or 4 years into a bust

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I love Ben. But on the first one, he had Muth wide open in the middle of the field and he never even looked that way. Right now, Ben is just running the plays the way their drawn up and he doesn't seem to be willing to try to extend anything or create something.
Mentioned in another thread, younger Ben NEVER throws that ball to Harris. Younger Ben finds a way to extend the play and throw to someone who has a chance. What was most concerning to me is that Ben didn't even LOOK at the middle of the field. He took the snap and he was going to Harris come hell or high water. He just wanted to get rid of the ball so HE wasn't the one who got tackled for a loss.
Its very very possible that he is gun shy and unwilling to step up in the pocket for fear of being crushed

mdk2

Reaction score
I see Ben trying to extend plays, but I also see 2 to 3 defenders running through the OL almost every play. There's nowhere for Ben to even go to extend the play.

When Ben does try to extend the play, he gets sacked and everyone is complaining he's holding the ball too long.
In the same breath, people are complaining he's not trying to extend the play and make plays on his own.
It's a lose-lose situation for Ben behind this atrocious OL and terrible OC. Ben should have free range of the no huddle offense.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
I was blaming Ben for some of these three yard passes, yesterday on those fourth downs Ben throw's right away which means these are the plays called. WHY? Yea he did miss some finally open receivers but all in all the plays calls and when they are called are very questionable. The line does not help a few times they were cleaning his teeth they were so close to him when he was trying to throw a pass. Hard to watch and really hard to get why the same stuff as weeks before just over and over. That shifting if that is the new offense means nothing.

mdk2

Reaction score
Rogers threw atleast 5 or more bubble screens yesterday and they gained 10 yards on it several times. Their WRs blocked downfield and their WRs made defenders miss.. two things you rarely ever see our WR unit do. Those bubble screens work when you have willing blockers, we don't have that(besides Juju).

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think Ben has any progressions in the plays. The ball is snapped and he throws to his primary target on almost every play. If it's not a quick play, which 90% of them are, he may be able to look around. The play calling is horrendous. When we needed to score last week from the 8 and when we needed 8 yards this week for a first down, those plays were what was called. Ben had no progressions to come up with something else. He should have but that's not this offense. This offense and its play-calling are ridiculous. Let Ben call his own plays at least half the time. We might actually put points on the board. This quick, short **** with no options for Ben to change the play is ridiculous. You can't change these quick, short plays and Ben's hands are basically tied behind his back. And, Ben needs to practice all week through the bye to hopefully finally get in sync with his receivers.

Steelmann

Reaction score
First drive. Offense looked good.
There are certainly short periods where the offense looks somewhat competent, but they are few and far between. I honestly think Ben is worried about getting hit and either being sacked or fumbling on pretty much every play, and due to that he's rushing and he's not as accurate as he should be.

While I prefer the idea of Ben calling his own plays, and certainly I suppose he'd feel more comfortable, unless the line can give him some concept of confidence in them, I don't know how he's going to get beyond expecting to get hit on every play and thus playing to get rid of the ball as fast as possible, regardless of the accuracy or timing of the throw.
I stand corrected. I think I was in a state of shock when they scored on the first drive. It’s been awhile. I have no problem with Ben calling his own plays. I also have no problem with the hurry up. As long as he uses the middle of the field and throws more than 2 yards. I got a little abused at work again this week. It’s getting a little much. Embarrassing. Hopefully it doesn’t become the norm.