• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Jack Deloplaine Passed Away

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
If you're way old-school like me, you remember Jack "The Hydroplane" Deloplaine. Never a superstar but a solid lunchbucket backup RB and ST player. Got two SB rings with the Steelers. After the NFL he played a couple seasons with my cousin on the Pittsburgh Wolfpack semi-pro team and they remained friends to this day.

Jack "Hydroplane" Deloplaine, a former Pittsburgh Steelers running back and two-time Super Bowl champion, has died. He was 68.

The Steelers Alumni office confirmed Deloplaine's death to Pittsburgh's Action News 4 Wednesday.

A Pottstown native, Deloplaine was drafted from Salem College (now University) in West Virginia. He spent four seasons in the NFL, winning two Super Bowl rings with the Black and Gold. He also spent time with the Chicago Bears and the Washington Redskins (Commanders).

Deloplaine got the nickname "Hydroplane" during the 1976 preseason for his ability to run the football well in the rain.

Jack "Hydroplane" Deloplaine #35 of the Pittsburgh Steelers runs with the football against the New England Patriots during a game at Three Rivers Stadium on September 26, 1976 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

George Gojkovich/Getty Images
Jack "Hydroplane" Deloplaine #35 of the Pittsburgh Steelers runs with the football against the New England Patriots during a game at Three Rivers Stadium on September 26, 1976 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

"We are saddened by the news and send the best to his family and friends," Salem's Athletic Director Alexander Joseph said in a statement.

A cause of death was not immediately confirmed.

Funeral arrangements have not been publicly released.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
R I P Hydroplane.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Condolences to family and friends, I hope they all find peAce.

Thank Jack for ll his play efforts with the PITTSBURGH STEELERS.

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, there sure have been a lot of famous sports folks passing in the past couple weeks. Vin Scully past today as well.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I remember him well. The nickname "Hydroplane" was bestowed on him by Myron Cope, naturally. Three Rivers Stadium was Astroturf which is kinda slick when wet and Deloplaine did have an uncanny ability to maintain his footing in the rain.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't realize he was so close in age with me (he's 6 years older). He's also from the next town over from where I live now. I lived in Pottstown for about 6 years.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

DanielZavala

Reaction score
Just stumbled upon this thread and wanted to say sorry for the loss of Jack "The Hydroplane" Deloplaine. It's always tough to hear about the passing of someone who made such a big impact, especially in the sports world. Btw, I've always been intrigued by mausoleums and how they work. I've recently come across the article and thought it could be interesting for you guys. Here it is How Do Mausoleums Work? Anyway, just my 2 cents. Apologies for bumping the thread.

xjx

Reaction score
He was still young. I liked that guy.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Just stumbled upon this thread and wanted to say sorry for the loss of Jack "The Hydroplane" Deloplaine. It's always tough to hear about the passing of someone who made such a big impact, especially in the sports world. Btw, I've always been intrigued by mausoleums and how they work. I've recently come across the article and thought it could be interesting for you guys. Here it is How Do Mausoleums Work? Anyway, just my 2 cents. Apologies for bumping the thread.
Very poor taste bumping a thread of someone passing for an agenda.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

BTW……………………….. how about condolences and call it good……?
5 posts and never to see her again

Salute the nation