• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Jackson > Rudolph

Stewey

Reaction score
This is why I hate it when people drool over the new QB who looks good for a stretch. How many times have we seen QBs be on top of the world and then the league gets enough film on them, figures out their weakness and they go to ****?

It seems to happen most frequently with running QBs. They have early success because most teams don't have the time to prepare to stop a quirky offense. They have success running and they get to throw against easier coverages.

I think the Pats caught on by the end of the game against Jackson but it was too late then.

We saw it with Kordell. When it works, it looks unstoppable, but then there's always that game where the defense stops the run, they grab a lead and that running QB has to make plays from the pocket.

That's what happened to Jackson last year vs the Chargers.

This morning on the radio I heard the host pretty much putting Jackosn in the HOF. He had on a guest, former Safety Bernard Pollard and he expected him to agree, Pollard said No. Jackson will get to the playoffs and then get stopped because he'll face teams with a year's worth of film on him and they will shut him down. The host seemed pissed that anybody would dare question the great Lamar Jackson.

Baker Mayfield

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Excuse me for putting in print what many were thinking and probably yourself.

Hahaha no one is thinking super bowl...

Just that in the long run pocket passers get better and qbs that are more RB than passer tend to get worse... i mean historically in the nfl... thats just the way it is

That doesn’t mean Rudolph will be better than Jackson... but Jackson is checking all the boxes of the Running Qb that never amounts to anything...

There is a difference between guys like ben, elway, or even russel Wilson who can keep plays alive but are still pass first guys, and the vicks and newtons and rh3’s of the league that are looking to run...

The option type qbs always eventually come back to earth.. teams spy them better and safeties quit biting on them run faking and then their stats come back to earth, they quit winning, and tge team moves on...

Again first it’s
Ooooooooohhhhh.... Awwwwwwwwww.... Wooooowww
Then...
huh? Really? Wtf?

Bricks56

Reaction score
Jackson is 100x better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bricks56

Reaction score
Said it once and I’ll say it again. I think by 2022 or 2023 Lamar Jackson will be out of the NFL and Kyler Murray will be in the A’s organization.
I disagree with these racial undertones

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I disagree with these racial undertones

Jackson won’t be out of the nfl, but his career path is probably going to follow RG3 or the soonto be moved cam newton... again run first qbs that rely on their running ability to get their passing open just don’t last long... look at Jackson’s first long completion sunday... the only reason why the guy is open is the deep safety bit on a run fake by Jackson... eventually that stops... teams plan for the guy better... in the Steelers ravens game this year, the safeties were Basically told just to play the pass on him and he did miserably.
they are running a college simplified offense...with the freaken option... its just not sustainable

The next wave of star qbs are guys like Mahomes and Watson... not glorified running backs... if Jackson contines to rush 10 times a game he is getting broken... if he doesn’t he will turn into Kordell...

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Here is the thing... in his first year as a starter... LJ was sprinkled in occasionally until he took over with seven games to go... in those 7 games he started threw for 1100 yards(160ypg) 5 Tds, 3 interceptions and was sacked 15 times. His completion percentage was 58, and his yards per attempt was 7

Mason Rudolph has played the equivalent of 6 full games now( 1 half when ben was hurt, 1/2 when he was hurt)... he has 1300 yards passing
11 tds 4 interceptions, 9 sacks and has completed 64.5% of his passes for 6.6 ypa...

Not star numbers by any means, but definitely better than Jackson’s first starts as a passer...

After hearing that a running qb is changing the game in his first few seasons a half dozen times in my football watching career and every one of them regressing within five years i just simply don’t believe it

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Dual-threat QBs: You could argue that we’ve never seen a QB quite like Baltimore’s Lamar Jackson. The second-year player out of Louisville is on pace to finish the 2019 season with 1,248 rushing yards, which would shatter the current single-season high for a QB (1,039 by Mike Vick back in 2006). Aside from Vick, the only other QBs with even 900+ rushing yards in a season are Bobby Douglass (968 in 1972) and Randall Cunningham (942 in 1990). Jackson’s not just a runner, either, with a 101.7 passer rating that is the fifth-best for a QB to rush for 500+ yards in a single season. The only fleet-footed QBs who had a better passer rating were Russell Wilson (110.1 in 2015), Steve Young (107 in 1992), Deshaun Watson (103.1 in 2018) and Robert Griffin (102.4 in 2012).

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
It's the perfect time for a running QB, with the league going pass heavy and defenses trying to stop the passing games, alot of defenses play a ton of nickle, dime, or some other DB heavy defense as their base. There are no more 3 or 4 big Dlinemen that are all 300+ trying to stop the run.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Dual-threat QBs: You could argue that we’ve never seen a QB quite like Baltimore’s Lamar Jackson. The second-year player out of Louisville is on pace to finish the 2019 season with 1,248 rushing yards, which would shatter the current single-season high for a QB (1,039 by Mike Vick back in 2006). Aside from Vick, the only other QBs with even 900+ rushing yards in a season are Bobby Douglass (968 in 1972) and Randall Cunningham (942 in 1990). Jackson’s not just a runner, either, with a 101.7 passer rating that is the fifth-best for a QB to rush for 500+ yards in a single season. The only fleet-footed QBs who had a better passer rating were Russell Wilson (110.1 in 2015), Steve Young (107 in 1992), Deshaun Watson (103.1 in 2018) and Robert Griffin (102.4 in 2012).

I would argue we have seen many like Lamar Jackson. The only difference is no team before the Ravens has gone all in on running the option. Previously, running QBs were primarily tasked with making plays from the pocket but then taking off and running when there’s an opportunity. The ravens have said screw it, let’s just build our offense around designed QB runs.

his passing stats are inflated. When you watch them play, the defense are selling out on the run and they are getting lots of wide open WRs. I have a hard time giving a QB credit for being a great passer when a play fake leaves a guy open by 10 yards.

this is something that makes it tough to grade so many QBs these days with all these read option and spread offenses. There are tons of QBs putting up big stats by throwing to wide open guys .

i think there’s a ton of guys who could do what Jackson is doing. These option QBs are a dime a dozen coming out of college.

let’s see how much they run Jackson after they pay him over $100 Million. I’m guessing they hope he can become a pocket passer by that time because there’s no way they will keep running him once he’s getting big money.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Jackson > Rudolph

What’s interesting is Jackson’s league attention curve is mirroring another former QB, who played for Pitt. Kordell. How long did it last? 3 years at the most? Defenses will figure out his tendencies and the shine will wear off.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

ianv2012

Reaction score
I despise the race baiting here. Deplorable. BTW, I’d take Deshaun Watson and Mahomes in a heartbeat.

Yeah it's amazing how race can never be mentioned, just names and yet somehow there is a racial undertone? Gtfoh, I'd have taken Moon, McNair, and McNabb in their heyday anytime as my QB, and I agree I'd take Mahomes or Watson now. Race is irrelevant, style and success is relevant, keep that race baiting bs to your "progressive" circle jerks

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Randall Cunningham > Lamar Jackson

I admit, I haven't watched much LJ. I just don't catch much football outside Steelers games anymore. But RC...that cat was just a pleasure to watch. One of the very best athletes I ever saw across any sport.

Vader

Reaction score
I don't like comparing players across eras. To me Jackson is a short term player. Once teams start playing against him more often they'll get use to his tendencies and habits. I'm not going to crown him just yet.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Most here must not of watched much of Jackson. Yes he runs. But the majority are designed runs. Kudos to the Ravens for building an offense where defenses have to gameplan for the designed runs and everything that comes off of it. But since college Jackson has been a guy who will stand in the pocket to pass the ball doesnt look to just take off. The traits are there to be a pocket passer. Definitely not crowning him cause I hope he stinks everytime we play him but I wouldnt be surprised if he becomes a good NFL QB.