• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

James Washington

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
You mean in the 2 offensive snaps he was in the game and the 1 pass that was thrown to him that he caught?

Arguably, you and I haven't done much either. Course, we've never been put on the field or thrown the ball. But I'm pretty sure we're busts anyway.
I would say that is very true. My 33 year rec touch football career ended this season and I don't see the Steelers calling. A coach buddy of mine always says "players play". If Washington was a player he'd play. No one has anything against him.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
So, light a fire under Claypool and sit him for a week and start James.
Being benched did wonders for other players. Look at Ike. He was sucking it up, and Cowher sat him for a couple games. Ike came back much more focused.
Actually Ike was a guy I think Tomlin made better. He seemed ready for the scrap heap under Cowher and was in a constant doghouse. He really bloomed with Tomlin. My opinion.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually Ike was a guy I think Tomlin made better. He seemed ready for the scrap heap under Cowher and was in a constant doghouse. He really bloomed with Tomlin. My opinion.
Maybe it was Tomlin that benched Ike. I need to take a look at that. But didn't Tomlin win his first year? Certainly he couldn't have done that with a benched Ike.

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
Where did Washington make mistakes?
I think I recall, sometime last year, didn't he run the wrong route in the end zone and cost us a TD? I think Ben called him out on it. Maybe I'm wrong. Seems like Washington never has really gotten many opportunities. Too bad. Reminds me a little of Ernie Mills, who was by no means a big star, but a solid receiver that I liked.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Washington had an injury a couple weeks ago but so did/does Claypool. Claypool was limping all over the field last night. There's just no excuse or reason for Washington not playing. He has produced when given the chance.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Maybe it was Tomlin that benched Ike. I need to take a look at that. But didn't Tomlin win his first year? Certainly he couldn't have done that with a benched Ike.
This is my memory of it Wig. Cowher broke Ike down Tomlin built him back up.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I think I recall, sometime last year, didn't he run the wrong route in the end zone and cost us a TD? I think Ben called him out on it. Maybe I'm wrong. Seems like Washington never has really gotten many opportunities. Too bad. Reminds me a little of Ernie Mills, who was by no means a big star, but a solid receiver that I liked.

You might be right, but hell, our WRs run the wrong routes quite a bit sometimes. I just don't understand his lack of playing time. And if somebody says "injury", Claypool was hobbling all over the field last night and the week before.

Last edited:

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
they need to dress Anthony Miller and see what he's got. He'll have two weeks with the playbook and some reps.

I thought with JuJu going down, JW would step right in and pick up the slack.
Should not be too hard. Just run towards the first down marker and stop approximately 4 yards before you get there and turn around.

If the first 3 guys miss you, and you do happen to pick up the first down, a slight knee bend, in the direction of the drive, extend the forearm and say, "First Down"

Did I miss anything? .....

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
So, light a fire under Claypool and sit him for a week and start James.
Being benched did wonders for other players. Look at Ike. He was sucking it up, and Cowher sat him for a couple games. Ike came back much more focused.
Or demote him by forcing him to play slot for a game and have James play your spot. That may light a fire as well.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Defensive schemes predict the offensive personnel. Basic football.

None of us really know what Coach Canada is trying to do 'schematically' but last night obviously wasn't a night to deploy JW.

I don't think he's in the doghouse or hate house I just think the plan it to keep Ben upright as much as possible and that means more TE's on the field...

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Why does Tomlin dislike him so much? Juju is out, figured he'd get a significant bump in snaps. Started the game off with some snaps, even a nice 9 yard catch on a first down, and then they trot out Ray Ray the rest of the game. Now I know that there are some on this board that think the world of Ray Ray, even just as a returner. I am not one of them. I don't see the moves, I don't see the decision making... Hell, every time we are receiving a KO, I hope and pray that it's deep and he lets it go into the EZ. How many times has he brought it out and NOT got even to the 20??

But I digress. I see Washington make plays when given the opportunity. He's not a small guy, 5'11" 213lbs, he's got pretty good speed, his hands are solid. I just don't get it.
I agree. I would say Washington has been a top 3 receiver on this team since being drafted. Ray-Ray is god awful. Below average return guy and not even close to being an NFL caliber receiver. I think Mathew Sexton showed a ton more for a return guy and Anthony Johnson showed a ton more as a receiver. Not sure what RayRay did to make the 53 man.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Defensive schemes predict the offensive personnel. Basic football.

None of us really know what Coach Canada is trying to do 'schematically' but last night obviously wasn't a night to deploy JW.

I don't think he's in the doghouse or hate house I just think the plan it to keep Ben upright as much as possible and that means more TE's on the field...
More TE's doesn't explain why Ray Ray was on the field so much. He is NOT an NFL caliber WR. Washington is.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Claypool is probably the hardest working WR we have on the field. Sit him? Are you people ******* nuts? You do know he's been playing hurt? Go back and watch him limping around in this last game. He did leave the field early in the game as well to go to the locker room. He probably got a pain shot or something so he could keep playing. Pay attention.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Claypool is probably the hardest working WR we have on the field. Sit him? Are you people ******* nuts? You do know he's been playing hurt? Go back and watch him limping around in this last game. He did leave the field early in the game as well to go to the locker room. He probably got a pain shot or something so he could keep playing. Pay attention.
agreed...now that JuJu is done.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Is he? Johnson went out this offseason and worked on (and significantly improved) his biggest weakness. It shows as he's much more reliable. Has Claypool improved in any area? I want to see Claypool get more touches because he's a big play threat nearly every time he gets the ball.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I think he was still hurting last night. The verdict will come after the bye week.

If he was still hurting to the degree of hurting his game to the degree it did,...... then bench him. At some point injured become detrimental to the team.

This bye week will be a great benifit for a lot of our players. Dan Moore nees the bye as well and Chase too !!

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Should not be too hard. Just run towards the first down marker and stop approximately 4 yards before you get there and turn around.

If the first 3 guys miss you, and you do happen to pick up the first down, a slight knee bend, in the direction of the drive, extend the forearm and say, "First Down"

Did I miss anything? .....

The "GROIN" pull..............................

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I hear what you are saying TDX27 but there is also that at some point that playing injured becomes a detriment to the team. I don't know how much Chase was being held back / hampered due to his injury but that is where everyday there COACHING comes into play, they would know a hell of a lot better than any of us. We have to trust their judgement but we as humans (all of us) seem to think we know better.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying TDX27 but there is also that at some point that playing injured becomes a detriment to the team. I don't know how much Chase was being held back / hampered due to his injury but that is where everyday there COACHING comes into play, they would know a hell of a lot better than any of us. We have to trust their judgement but we as humans (all of us) seem to think we know better.

Salute the nation
A somewhat injured Claypool or Diontae, for that matter, is still better than Ray Ray or Cody. I'm still not sure why Ray Ray got so many snaps. He is NOT better than Washington. I sure hope they get their heads out of their ***** and use Diontae, Claypool, and Washington as their top 3 WR's.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
A somewhat injured Claypool or Diontae, for that matter, is still better than Ray Ray or Cody. I'm still not sure why Ray Ray got so many snaps. He is NOT better than Washington. I sure hope they get their heads out of their ***** and use Diontae, Claypool, and Washington as their top 3 WR's.
According to Ike Hilliard, Washington had an injury when they were putting together the game plan. He wasn't able to fully participate in practice until Friday (after the game plan was installed). And he was still somewhat injured on Sunday. He also said that limited practice time in the slot and the fact that he normally plays the same spot as Claypool, whose hamstring injury held up better than expected, meant limited opportunity to make an impact this last game. They expect to have both Claypool and Washington practicing more in the slot and Washington to receive more snaps moving forward.

So, it appears the short form answer to the "Why didn't Washington receive more snaps?" question is: Availability limited by injury, coupled with the coaching staff's failure to have him practice in the slot enough to feel comfortable with him in the game at that position.

*Nice answer, but if Claypool's hamstring held up better than expected, why not have him work out of the slot a little more last game and put Washington on the outside?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
According to Ike Hilliard, Washington had an injury when they were putting together the game plan. He wasn't able to fully participate in practice until Friday (after the game plan was installed). And he was still somewhat injured on Sunday. He also said that limited practice time in the slot and the fact that he normally plays the same spot as Claypool, whose hamstring injury held up better than expected, meant limited opportunity to make an impact this last game. They expect to have both Claypool and Washington practicing more in the slot and Washington to receive more snaps moving forward.

So, it appears the short form answer to the "Why didn't Washington receive more snaps?" question is: Availability limited by injury, coupled with the coaching staff's failure to have him practice in the slot enough to feel comfortable with him in the game at that position.

*Nice answer, but if Claypool's hamstring held up better than expected, why not have him work out of the slot a little more last game and put Washington on the outside?

Good insight SteelBuckeye. So we should expect change this next game (2-weeks). This Bye will help both players and coaches.

Not to change subject but do the Coaches have to take mandatory time off as the players ? My thought is no but I haven't thought about either.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully, all of the pulled groins and hammies will be completely healed after the bye. I still think this team has a lot of potential if Canada can figure out how to call a game and continue reimplementing the potential for using a no-huddle periodically in games.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully, all of the pulled groins and hammies will be completely healed after the bye. I still think this team has a lot of potential if Canada can figure out how to call a game and continue reimplementing the potential for using a no-huddle periodically in games.
no-huddle and some play action.
like highschool.
Ben is old, but I think he can still step backwards a couple times.