• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Jason Worilds

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert hasn't ruled out using the transition tag on free agent OLB Jason Worilds for the second-consecutive year.
Playing under the tag in 2014, Worilds made $9.754 million. It would cost closer to $11 million in 2014. Speaking Tuesday, Colbert all but ruled out using the franchise tag on his edge rusher. The franchise tag is more costly, and Pittsburgh has one of the league's worst cap situations. The transition tag gives teams the right of first refusal, but no compensation if a tagged player signs an offer sheet elsewhere and the tagging team decides not to match.
Source: Gerry Dulac on Twitter

And the hits keep coming...admit the mistake and move on..its taking this long for them to admit the Worilds mistake just imagine how long the Baby Huey fail will take..

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
*cough*MaxStarks*cough*

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I cannot figure out whether Tombert is in love with Worilds, or if they view the OLB position as such a dumpster fire they feel they cannot afford to let Worilds go.

Paying him elite player money in consecutive seasons would be inexcusable, IMO.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
may as well cut bait, imo.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Total BS. No way you pay him $20 million for 2 years. He is nowhere near good enough even with the limited resources at OLB that we have. NO F'ING WAY! He is worth $20 million over a 5 year contract, maybe. I even read that elsewhere yesterday. However, they also said the Steelers may over pay for him because of their lack of other OLB's. I still say NO WAY! Bring back Harrison at the end of camp, if he will play again. Get someone in free agency and draft other OLB's. We will be just fine without Worilds if he wants that kind of money.

Slaine

Still wants to trade Fu for a third
Forefather
Reaction score
I cannot figure out whether Tombert is in love with Worilds, or if they view the OLB position as such a dumpster fire they feel they cannot afford to let Worilds go.

Paying him elite player money in consecutive seasons would be inexcusable, IMO.

You nailed it. We've swung and missed too often at OLB to let even a semi-competent one get away.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
This:
Total BS. No way you pay him $20 million for 2 years. He is nowhere near good enough even with the limited resources at OLB that we have. NO F'ING WAY! He is worth $20 million over a 5 year contract, maybe. I even read that elsewhere yesterday. However, they also said the Steelers may over pay for him because of their lack of other OLB's. I still say NO WAY! Bring back Harrison at the end of camp, if he will play again. Get someone in free agency and draft other OLB's. We will be just fine without Worilds if he wants that kind of money.

Worilds is Just A Guy, which is fine, as long as you are paying him Just A Guy money. I would make him a fair offer based on his (lack of) performance but if someone wants to pay him a few million more then let him walk. Me, I cut bait and look for a FA for less money. If Tombert transition tags him again, I wouldn't be surprised though. Pissed, but not surprised. If they let him walk then it's admitting they made a mistake and they'd rather overpay an average LB and **** up their cap space than admit they made a mistake.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Colbert should get canned ASAP if he's even considering to tag Worilds again, make a final offer, 5 years/ 30 millions if he doesn't like it then let him walk and see what he gets in FA.

Vader

Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked at all if they tagged him. Tombert doesn't like to admit a mistake and because of poor drafting they have no one to take his place. I'd put Moats at LOLB. He played a ton less than Worilds and had almost as many sacks. Let diva Worilds walk and get paid by another chump.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Funny that the only thing that might save us from another year of Worilds would be Ben's new contract. And save Tombert from themselves.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
They are not using any kind of tag on Worilds. The headline is misleading.

Steelers1356

Reaction score
Total BS. No way you pay him $20 million for 2 years. He is nowhere near good enough even with the limited resources at OLB that we have.

I don't disagree, but who do you replace him with unless you're spending a 1st rounder on OLB?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I don't disagree, but who do you replace him with unless you're spending a 1st rounder on OLB?
1. I would spend the entire draft on defense and maybe one OL if they find a good one.
2. Tombert has given me no confidence in their ability to draft anyone good on defense.
So in other words I predict a bunch of rookies on defense who all suck.

keslerclan

Reaction score
The real issue is, even if we had the #1 pick this year and could take whomever we wanted, a player like Moats would still be better THIS season than anyone we could pick IMO.

Worilds is coveted (though I don't quite understand why). He has been in the league how long and he still hasn't reached his peak? Sorry, we should either go all out on a better LOLB free agent option like Brandon Graham or just resign Moats and try to find an eventual replacement through the draft. As long as we can hold up on the edges against the run, we can manufacture sacks/pressures with schemes and better secondary play, IMO.

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score
The real issue is, even if we had the #1 pick this year and could take whomever we wanted, a player like Moats would still be better THIS season than anyone we could pick IMO.

Worilds is coveted (though I don't quite understand why). He has been in the league how long and he still hasn't reached his peak? Sorry, we should either go all out on a better LOLB free agent option like Brandon Graham or just resign Moats and try to find an eventual replacement through the draft. As long as we can hold up on the edges against the run, we can manufacture sacks/pressures with schemes and better secondary play, IMO.

I don't really think Graham is better than Worilds don't think he is worse and sure as hell wont cost $11 mill

deljzc

Reaction score
Funny that the only thing that might save us from another year of Worilds would be Ben's new contract. And save Tombert from themselves.

A new contract with Ben will lower his cap hit and give us more room to tag Worilds.

I've said this is coming since they didn't sign Worilds long term in August. I put the chances at another tag at over 75% right now.

The only thing I can think to save us from this mistake is the fact this draft class is LOADED with edge defenders. I'm at 20 deep right now in my film review and almost all of them are draftable players (and likely top-half of the draft).

Troglodyte

Reaction score
No other NFL team places value on retaining their own players like the Steelers do.

deljzc

Reaction score
I had proposed a 6-year, $43 million deal last year for Worilds with $18 million the first two seasons as guaranteed money.

I thought that type of deal was something agreeable to both parties as an alternate to the path we are taking now.

If we tag him with an $11 million tag and now that Worilds is coming off almost a $9 million W-2 form and money in the bank, I don't know why Worilds would sign ANY long-term, team friendly deal. Why?

He's basically making $20 million over two seasons and is STILL a free agent at age 28 for yet ANOTHER pay day of guarantees as the cap continues to climb faster than inflation. It would have to be a deal that guarantees me at last $22-25 million to NOT just play out 2015 for $11 million and hit free agency.

There just isn't a win situation for the Steelers at all since they got themselves into this mess with the transition tag last year and didn't back down to Worilds' long-term contract demands last August. They can be as stubborn as they want about a players' value and where he's "slotted" on the salary list on defense, but this is just a cluster **** if they tag him again.

Doc

Reaction score
Every time I see this guys name I immediately go "Oh ya, he's on our team. I forgot."

freak

Reaction score
A new contract with Ben will lower his cap hit and give us more room to tag Worilds.

I've said this is coming since they didn't sign Worilds long term in August. I put the chances at another tag at over 75% right now.

The only thing I can think to save us from this mistake is the fact this draft class is LOADED with edge defenders. I'm at 20 deep right now in my film review and almost all of them are draftable players (and likely top-half of the draft).

i would sign harrison another year and let worilds go while developing a draft pick ..

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Sign Harrison! Adios Worilds.Not worth a big contract. Draft another olb and hope Jarvis Jones takes that next step up.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
i would sign harrison another year and let worilds go while developing a draft pick ..
I'd be fine bringing harrison back, paying Moats whatever he's making, hope Howard takes a big leap forward, and Jones stays healthy. Then tell Worilds to get lost. prior to last season he said something along the lines that he shouldn't have to compete for a starting job, then he whined this year about not being used correctly. when he rushes the qb he's not that good at it, and he sure as hell isn't good vs the run or in coverage or he wouldn't be bitching about having to do that. So, why in the hell is this guy even being discussed as returning?