• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Joe Greene didn’t want to play in Pittsburgh

Spike

Reaction score
Strange as it may sound to folks who have followed football for most of the last five decades, the Steelers at one point stunk. They stunk bad. The turning point, in hindsight, came with the hiring of coach Chuck Noll in 1969.

When Noll and the Steelers made defensive tackle Joe Greene the fourth overall pick in the ’69 draft, no one knew that things were going to change. As a result, Greene wasn’t happy to learn he’d be coming to Pittsburgh.

Greene explained his adverse reaction to becoming a Steeler during a Thursday visit to PFT Live. He also talked about the one time that he was actually intimidated on an NFL field, via a story that is well worth your time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/23/joe-greene-didnt-want-to-play-in-pittsburgh/

-----------------

Now THAT was a 4-3 defense

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
hell...he almost walked away after a tough loss also.....

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Can you blame him? We were like the Browns back then

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
THa browns.................................... ****

He ended his reign a happy camper er, football player..!!!!!!

Salute the nation

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Man I miss that 70's team. Great childhood memories with my dad watching them on our tv way out in the western pa boonies. Had a 20 foot antenna to pick up the games. Glad they retired his number.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I read something about him lately where he said he would have let AB walk.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I would bet that comment wasn't reffering to AB ability to play, but AB ability to be a team member............

Salute the nation

Stewey

Reaction score
Strange as it may sound to folks who have followed football for most of the last five decades, the Steelers at one point stunk. They stunk bad. The turning point, in hindsight, came with the hiring of coach Chuck Noll in 1969.

When Noll and the Steelers made defensive tackle Joe Greene the fourth overall pick in the ’69 draft, no one knew that things were going to change. As a result, Greene wasn’t happy to learn he’d be coming to Pittsburgh.

Greene explained his adverse reaction to becoming a Steeler during a Thursday visit to PFT Live. He also talked about the one time that he was actually intimidated on an NFL field, via a story that is well worth your time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/23/joe-greene-didnt-want-to-play-in-pittsburgh/

-----------------

Now THAT was a 4-3 defense

Mean Joe not wanting to be a Steeler is pretty much common knowledge amongst us old farts. He even packed up his locker, loaded up his car and was ready to GTFO when he was talked into staying by I forget who.

This video is great. Worth the time watching it.

Reactions: GMC

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score

Greene not only thinks that the video was wrong, but also should have been reason enough not to bring him back with the biggest contract ever given to a wide receiver.

“My first thought was, I would have to say goodbye,” Greene added with a slight chuckle, “but that’s me.”

Greene did admit that the catch Antonio Brown made on Christmas Day to beat the rival Baltimore Ravens may have been one of the more outstanding plays in Steelers history, but then, two weeks later, something very different happened.

“How do we bridge between that play and that action two weeks later?” Greene said. “Well, I guess intelligent people wouldn’t throw out the baby out with the bathwater.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017...ene-would-have-said-goodbye-to-antonio-brown/

Stewey

Reaction score
Unlike the other Greene...Kevin, who always wanted to be a Steeler.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Unlike the other Greene...Kevin, who always wanted to be a Steeler.

Kevin didn't come to a team that had never won anything and didn't play for a team that won only two games.....Mean Joe may not have liked the team, but he gave all he had when on the field

Stewey

Reaction score
Kevin didn't come to a team that had never won anything and didn't play for a team that won only two games.....Mean Joe may not have liked the team, but he gave all he had when on the field

Absolutely!.. Kevin loved the Steelers because of their tradition, Mean Joe did not like the Steelers because of their tradition....regardless they both gave it their all.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Absolutely!.. Kevin loved the Steelers because of their tradition, Mean Joe did not like the Steelers because of their tradition....regardless they both gave it their all.

one did it for a ****** team and helped build the tradition the other one had to strive to uphold....

Stewey

Reaction score
Suck my balls - not everyone knows this stuff - lots of casual fans here - you can tell by their mock drafts

I wasn't criticizing your thread as the other guy implied. There are no doubt many younger fans who do not know this about Greene.
Just sayin that what he said in that recent interview about not wanting to be a Steeler wasn't a new revelation by him.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure Greene doesn't see AB as a team player. I don't. I think that mentality is holding our team back. Bell. Bryant. AB. As selfish people. Great talent on the field but very selfish people.

Stewey

Reaction score
one did it for a ****** team and helped build the tradition the other one had to strive to uphold....

One started poor and ended up rich (4 SB wins), the other started rich and ended up poor (0 SB wins).

Beat that Coolie! LOL

But not really, even though he won no lowB repuSs, you're right, Kevin Greene helped maintain a tradition that remains rich to this day.

Dammit, we had Dallas on their heels, we literally coulda, woulda, shoulda won that SB in '95. We were beating them on the stat sheet as well I believe.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
One started poor and ended up rich (4 SB wins), the other started rich and ended up poor (0 SB wins).

Beat that Coolie! LOL

But not really, even though he won no lowB repuSs, you're right, Kevin Greene helped maintain a tradition that remains rich to this day.

Dammit, we had Dallas on their heels, we literally coulda, woulda, shoulda won that SB in '95. We were beating them on the stat sheet as well I believe.

Yup. Thanks Neil O'donell. ****** jacktard.

Spike

Reaction score
I wasn't criticizing your thread as the other guy implied. There are no doubt many younger fans who do not know this about Greene.
Just sayin that what he said in that recent interview about not wanting to be a Steeler wasn't a new revelation by him.

I know - people think they know so much

I won a Dermontii Dawson signed helmet last year with my predictions here

you should pay to be in my flock

yea verily

Spike

Reaction score
I was a Vikings fan in 69 when the Steelers went 1-13 - no **** - my Purple People Eaters got beat down down by the big fat Chiefs in SB IV

...I remember...since that day I'm a Steeler

I've watched every Steelers game and SB since then

so now u know

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
That's bad memories for all of us..haha. I can't even think about that game without getting perturbed .

Still sticks out cause that was my earliest memory as a sports fan in general. I was 5 years old. Damn. After that it was a fun ride as a fan. Used to get picked on in the 4th and 5th grade cause the 1998 and 1999 Steelers were bad teams. One of my friends in school was a falcons fan, I remember the Steelers beating them that year the Falcons made the SB. ****! Lol. Good times good times