• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

John Clayton – Tuitt Better Than Heyward

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Sorry but Tuitt is very much overrated. He plays well in spurts and takes plays off. I would take Heyward over him any day of the week. Tuitt isn't even close to being as good as Heyward is. Sure, it'd be great to have him back but, ****, we were doing very well with Alualu in there full time. Tuitt is replaceable. Heyward is not. Heyward is a leader. Tuitt is not. I hope Heyward keeps this up for a couple more years and solidifies his deserved spot in the HOF.

Tuitt was pretty dominant early in the 2019 season before getting injured and had 11 sacks last season.

His problem has been availability.

When he plays, he isn't quite as consistent as Heyward, but is probably more talented.

They definitely miss him right now.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Sorry but Tuitt is very much overrated. He plays well in spurts and takes plays off. I would take Heyward over him any day of the week. Tuitt isn't even close to being as good as Heyward is. Sure, it'd be great to have him back but, ****, we were doing very well with Alualu in there full time. Tuitt is replaceable. Heyward is not. Heyward is a leader. Tuitt is not. I hope Heyward keeps this up for a couple more years and solidifies his deserved spot in the HOF.
Is he overrated? His book is injured too often, elite defender when playing at his best but doesn't consistently bring that effort. I think Tuitt plays exactly as described and the defense is much better with him on the field.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tuitt can be very good but he is injured a lot and he takes too many plays off. Heyward goes 100% every play like Watt does. If Tuitt did that, then we could be having the conversation of comparing him to Heyward. As of now, he's not close.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Tuitt can be very good but he is injured a lot and he takes too many plays off. Heyward goes 100% every play like Watt does. If Tuitt did that, then we could be having the conversation of comparing him to Heyward. As of now, he's not close.

I just think you're selling Tuitt a bit short.

There's no doubt that Heyward has more energy and is the better technician, but Tuitt is just as strong and more athletic.

Heyward is the better player, but Tuitt has been playing at an All pro level when he's played, IMO.

Both of them, as well as Watt, have a habit of disappearing in playoff games, though.

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
Tuitt, when healthy, is highly underrated. Of course, his extreme lack of availability makes him highly overrated when he isn't playing (i.e. we are paying a lot of money for only occasionally seeing his great play. Heyward is a more complete player in both tangibles and intangibles. First and foremost, as Tomlin would say, he is a leader of men. He brings tremendous pressure even when double teamed (which happens a lot with Tuitt out) out. Which results in strong performance in sacks, tackles, etc. He is crazy good at being in the right place and knocking balls down. Outside of a couple injuries his availability is pretty solid.

Also, Clayton ... who cares? lol

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I just think you're selling Tuitt a bit short.

There's no doubt that Heyward has more energy and is the better technician, but Tuitt is just as strong and more athletic.

Heyward is the better player, but Tuitt has been playing at an All pro level when he's played, IMO.

Both of them, as well as Watt, have a habit of disappearing in playoff games, though.
They disappear along with every other defensive player we have.....but you do expect your best guys to shine in times it means most. At what point do you move on from the DC that is coaching these guys? I would bring up the HC also but we all know he isn't going anywhere.

coupon

Reaction score
I completely forgot about Tuitt

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Ironhead's kid, in conjunction with Watt, saved the win last week. When their running game was gashing our D left and right, he was one of the few who could step up and put the brakes on it. So JC can F the hell off and go talk to his dog...Maybe the poor mutt will listen to him. I'd take Ironhead's kid to be on my team any day. The dude is a leader and gives 100% every game.
so heywards does step

Reactions: JMM

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Tuitt is not better than than Heyward. He needs to get on the field...if he can. We might be picking DL first. It a weak QB class.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Strongly disagree with this opinion. Not only is Tuitt soft, he gets pushed around and they run right at him. Heyward is a beast and doesn't get anywhere near enough credit for being the leader of this defense.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Was it Noll that said "You can't make the club in the tub", referring to rehab? Anyone on the field is better than anyone who isn't available.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They disappear along with every other defensive player we have.....but you do expect your best guys to shine in times it means most. At what point do you move on from the DC that is coaching these guys? I would bring up the HC also but we all know he isn't going anywhere.

DC, when Dick Lebou retired is when you should have brought in outside organization DC. Butler isn't the answer as it took about 10 first rounders before this defense became relevant. Now as some of the first rounders are leaving or injured this defense becomes lesser relevant. Doen't seem to be any "coaching" up of players or not enough of it. Tackling has left the building more times than elvis and along with some other coaching 101 things.

We are stuck with the coaching as is and it's been wasting careers away.

Saute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw where Dulac of the PG said Tuitt is very close physically to being ready to play. Mentally, no one has any idea if or when he will play.

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
Not bumping for the drama of it, but another great game by Heyward. Quiet and dominating. Another game Clayton didn't watch.

Chicoman

Reaction score
I'll never question Cam Heyward's heart when it comes to playing in an NFL game. Stephon Tuitt on the other hand needs to prove he has the heart to play this game at the same level Cam Heyward is doing. I know Tuitt had a rough off season with the loss of his brother and some type of knee injury! SUCK IT UP TUITT! We all lose family and friends in life and have things happen that drag you down. Time to put your BIG BOY pants on and contribute to this team this season...MAN UP!

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not bumping for the drama of it, but another great game by Heyward. Quiet and dominating. Another game Clayton didn't watch.

John Clayton is probably laying in an alley somewhere wondering where he went wrong..........................................

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Tuitt is more talented than Heyward…. That doesn’t mean that he is better or not….

There are a lot of people that will tell you that natural talent and skill wise Malkin has more pure ability than Crosby but that doesn’t mean he is better…

If someone got in to the hall of fame between them it would be heyward hands down… guy is a productive beast and leader… we tweaked our 3/4 setup to accommodate him… that’s how good he is…

Tuitt is a megastud, sure, but that isn’t HOF criteria… its not just natural born ability…