• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Johnny Football, The press is calling on a stack of $100 dollar bills...

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Manziel isn’t ready to play with patience in the pocket. Can he get there with experience? Maybe. But he has a lot to overcome to be a high-level NFL quarterback. He’s a small quarterback with average arm strength and almost no pocket skills and discipline at this point.

How do the Browns NOT get somebody like Luck? I mean eventually?

Supersteeler

Reaction score
They jumped on the hype train with both feet. Now they have to ride it out for better or worse.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Eh, he may yet turn out to be okay. People thought Doug Flutie was too small and ran around too much but all he did was go out and win games.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

In a draft with Eli, Ben and Rivers, they took Kellen Winslow.

in a draft with Luck and RG3, they traded up for Trent Richardson

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Eh, he may yet turn out to be okay. People thought Doug Flutie was too small and ran around too much but all he did was go out and win games.

The episode of A Football Life on Flutie was very good. BOston College was his only offer. Tom Coughlin was an assistant coach. Flutie was 7th on depth chart when he arrived. Almost immediately went to 3rd then 2nd. They put him in as a freshman vs a highly ranked Penn State when they were behind by a lot. He led them right down the field for a TD, then another. They were too far behind to win but he started the next game and never lost the job.

Pretty much the story of his NFL career was that the coach didn't want him, he'd get in a game and win, then they'd bench him for a supposed franchise QB. He'd suck. Flutie gets in and wins, they bench him again.

Flutie would probably dominate in today's NFL.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Doug Flutie had something Manziel definitely doesn't have in my opinion. He was ridiculously accurate.

Flutie may not have been able to see over the line, but he could throw the ball EXACTLY 26 yards downfield and 13 yards to his left every single time. And he could deliver that ball 2.6 seconds from the moment he got it into his hands. So as long as a receiver was there. Well you were going to have a ball there too.

If you had a precision passing offense, Flutie was your guy. He could make a living off a timing route. Jump into a zone and start covering up those timing routes and suddenly he wasn't such a great passer though.

But then you suddenly discovered the OTHER thing that Doug Flutie could do... Move.

He could move around and THEN throw the ball to EXACTLY the right place.

That guy was a complete stud. Just a complete stud. If he had been 4 or 5 inches taller who knows what he could have done.

Steelz

Reaction score
In a draft with Eli, Ben and Rivers, they took Kellen Winslow.

in a draft with Luck and RG3, they traded up for Trent Richardson
And Wilson in that draft. And you can make a argument they missed out on Bridgewater this year. The Brown's is just a factory of sadness.

Steel G

Reaction score

Flutie wasn't an *** clown though.

Steelerfan

Reaction score

Well, they are 0 for 22 or something like that from 1999 or thereabouts. So I guess the odds are never in their favor (I feel a Hunger Games reference coming on). That, plus they drafted a QB more interested in Snickers commercials than football, lol.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Flutie wasn't an *** clown though.

Well like I said, it's early yet. He may turn out to be good in the NFL. Or suck. Granted, the Stains' track record ain't that good. Our QB was an assclown too for a while until a district attorney or two put the fear of God into him. Just sayin'.
They don't need to try to turn Johnny Football into a pocket passer but he'll have happy feet for a while until he gets broken in half a few times.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
So they expected Manziel to grown 5 inches, become disciplined like Brees, morph into pocket passer like Rodgers, prepare like the elder Manning?

I expected him to broken and out of the NFL in 4 years.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I expected him to broken and out of the NFL in 4 years.

If I was betting money that's where I'd be too. I'm just saying, the guy has played one game. Sure he sucked but when you read John Elway's recollection of his first NFL game and facing Jack Lambert, he didn't think he'd last that long either.

Last edited:

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Missing on a draft pick is one thing but IMO the Bears should be more embarrassed for what they've invested in Cutler.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Luck sucked in his first game too. 3 picks, a 52.9 rating, and a 20-point loss.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Luck sucked in his first game too. 3 picks, a 52.9 rating, and a 20-point loss.

the difference is the attitude, the physical atributes and the pocket presence that Luck already had when drafted and what Johnny F has right now

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Doug Flutie had something Manziel definitely doesn't have in my opinion. He was ridiculously accurate.

Flutie may not have been able to see over the line, but he could throw the ball EXACTLY 26 yards downfield and 13 yards to his left every single time. And he could deliver that ball 2.6 seconds from the moment he got it into his hands. So as long as a receiver was there. Well you were going to have a ball there too.

If you had a precision passing offense, Flutie was your guy. He could make a living off a timing route. Jump into a zone and start covering up those timing routes and suddenly he wasn't such a great passer though.

But then you suddenly discovered the OTHER thing that Doug Flutie could do... Move.

He could move around and THEN throw the ball to EXACTLY the right place.

That guy was a complete stud. Just a complete stud. If he had been 4 or 5 inches taller who knows what he could have done.

^^^^this plus he wasnt/isnt an arrogant littler prick.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
the difference is the attitude, the physical atributes and the pocket presence that Luck already had when drafted and what Johnny F has right now

Indeed. But I'd be willing to give the guy more than one start before burying his career.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Indeed. But I'd be willing to give the guy more than one start before burying his career.

I think it all starts with the attitude, if he doesn't change it I think he's toast

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I think it all starts with the attitude, if he doesn't change it I think he's toast

His attitude seems to be that he is the walk-on greatest of the NFL. Reminds me of Bosworth in that regard - another bust due to ego.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Doug Flutie was no Rob Johnson though. I have NO idea how head coaches kept putting that guy on the bench, trotting out some ******* dickwad, losing games, and NOT getting fired. If I had a head coach bench someone like Flutie, I'd fire his *** the next day. Sometimes people fall in love with the numbers, when a guy on the bench is kicking *** every time he hits the field.

Joe