• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Johnson signs two year deal

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
With these crazy WR deals, this is great for the Steelers. They still get him cheap this year. If he doesn't work out or if the other WR's play well, you can easily trade him for a good pick and keep your younger players. But, I'd have to think he will be here for the next 3 years. Claypool is here for 2 years and the rooks are here for 4. That's a good young WR crew for at least the next 2 years. Good move.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
With these crazy WR deals, this is great for the Steelers. They still get him cheap this year. If he doesn't work out or if the other WR's play well, you can easily trade him for a good pick and keep your younger players. But, I'd have to think he will be here for the next 3 years. Claypool is here for 2 years and the rooks are here for 4. That's a good young WR crew for at least the next 2 years. Good move.

agreed. well done, Omar...Omar Kahn, that is.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I was against signing DJ to one of these long mega deals that WRs are getting but this is below market value and only 3 years so it’s a great deal for the Steelers.

Wolf44

Reaction score
Not a great player but is being paid like one.oh well

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think this is actually a smart move on his part.
1. Steelers normally allow players to play out their contracts, as well as offer attainable incentives.
2. In reality, he only gave up 3-5 million. He stands a really good chance of making that back long term.
3. It also shows that he is more of a team player, which is always good for your future.
4. Now there will not be any bad press on him for being considered “selfish”.
5. With the right investment help, he could earn more than he gave up.

we can debate where he ranks against others, but he is doing what other idiots didn’t.

diver

Reaction score
Dulac said they weren't close. He said no way to a QB in the draft. You'd think after all these years of being a Steeler fan I'd learn these "experts" know nothing.

In the book "Three Bricks Shy of a Load" Roy Blount tells a story about someone who overheard Chuck Noll and Myron Cope talking. The guy said after hearing that conversation Myron Cope as an insider for Steeler knowledge was dead to him. Hahaha.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
After this deal how much do steelers have on salary cap?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Every man's dream, getting their Johnson extended.

If you are using your Johnson extensively you like to be compensated.

😁

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Q. Is it a two year contract extension as he is a Steeler for next three seasons? Or is really a one year extension as he was already under contract for this season.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
???? DJ had less drops than Kupp and Chase in 2021. He had 5 total.
Johnson should have gotten more $$$$$$ than he did. So in essence he dropped the ball.....not literally.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Not a great player but is being paid like one.oh well

It's actually a good deal given the market. And he is right on the edge of being great. He moves like a ******* cheetah in the open. The trouble has been our offense has blown for several years because of a subpar OL and this ridiculous short passing game.

DJ,Claypool, Pickens,Muth,Austin and Harris. That's some damn good talent. Give some solid OL play this year and an accurate qb?

Think you'll see a lot of big plays from the boys this year.

All bets are off if the line blows and the OC repeats last.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Q. Is it a two year contract extension as he is a Steeler for next three seasons? Or is really a one year extension as he was already under contract for this season.

I keep seeing $18 million per year, but it's a three-year deal at a ridiculously low $13 million per year.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

I keep seeing $18 million per year, but it's a three-year deal at a ridiculously low $13 million per year.

Correct, and it's all about the guaranteed money in the first 2 years $27M. If he does well the Steelers will give him another payday after 2 seasons. If no new contract is given then, it may be a holdout/trade scenario for year 3.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Correct, and it's all about the guaranteed money in the first 2 years $27M. If he does well the Steelers will give him another payday after 2 seasons. If no new contract is given then, it may be a holdout/trade scenario for year 3.
And depending on how Claypool plays this year he could be a trade prospect instead of a resign. And the play of Pickens and Austin III play a part too. I think it's a good bridge deal with flexibility for everyone.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It's the same, they are counting his current rookie year salary left. 36M new money
I don't follow how it's the same. On average he's making $13 million per year over 3 years. I get that the $18 million per year is for the extra two years, but that isn't his average per season.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't follow how it's the same. On average he's making $13 million per year over 3 years. I get that the $18 million per year is for the extra two years, but that isn't his average per season.
He still plays one year under his rookie contract value and 2 more years under the new one. He had one year left