• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Johnson Using Disrespect as Motivation

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers find themselves in a bit of a situation coming into the 2021 campaign. I wouldn’t call this particular situation an issue, just nothing less than an influx of players at a specific position. In re-signing JuJu Smith-Schuster this past month, the team now has three viable options for the number one wide receiver spot on the depth chart when training camp opens up — Smith-Schuster himself, Chase Claypool, and Diontae Johnson. Not to say that being the “go-to” guy in this offense means too much. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has shown the ability to spread the ball out evenly throughout his career and, with the many dynamic weapons we have on this offense, it’s a safe bet to say we may see more of the same.

Steeler Nation is aware of the relationship Roethlisberger has developed with Smith-Schuster over the past few seasons and, honestly, that was probably one of the main reasons why the Steelers decided to bring him back for at least another year. Smith-Schuster’s presence is one that is needed in this offense when utilized as more of a slot type of receiver, which is where I believe he is used best. He is a huge help in the running game, being used as an inside blocker, and is the type of guy that won’t be afraid to catch a ball across the linebacker’s face. He may not necessarily be the guy you would expect to line up one on one with a cornerback on the outside 10/10 times, but he certainly is capable of doing so if needed.

That being said, an interesting point I seem to have come across in watching last year’s season is that it seemed like Roethlisberger was trying to force the ball more into Johnson’s direction anytime he saw an opening to do so. In my opinion, this could have been done intentionally. Being the leader Roethlisberger is, he could have noticed the early struggles Johnson had with drops and wanted to make sure his confidence did not take a plunge by continuing to feed him the football. In turn, this would reassure Johnson himself that even his own QB did not lose faith in him, despite those early struggles he had. So why should he lose confidence in himself?

It was well documented the amount of work Johnson, himself, was putting in to make sure his mistakes were not repeated ones, and that work showed. Johnson ended the 2020 campaign with 88 receptions for 923 yards and 7 touchdowns, just short of his first 1,000 yard season. Earlier on, Johnson let all of his minor issues get to his head; he seemed to be thinking more than just simply playing the game that he knows how to play. Johnson took the high road and showed maturity and confidence in himself, being able to attack the issue at hand, and attack it the right way. In doing so, I believe not only did Johnson gain the trust from his future Hall of Fame quarterback, but also gained the respect from his peers. Or at least I thought.

It’s all good
🤷🏾‍♂️
https://t.co/A1RGmmLPsv

— Diontae Johnson (@Juiceup__3) April 12, 2021

It’s only one short video, so I don’t want to make a huge deal out of it, but I do think something should be taken from it. The video, posted by the NFL itself, seems to imply that the 2019 draft class was loaded at the wide receiver position, showing last season’s highlight reels of each “baller” drafted that year. Except one thing was missing, and that’s Diontae Johnson. The video mentions the likes of young up and coming stars in D.K. Metcalf, A.J. Brown, Terry McClaurin, Hunter Renfrow, and Mecole Hardman — all who are deserving of the recognition given, but certainly not without Johnson’s name being in that same sentence.

The only guys that can compete with Johnson on a statistical level are Metcalf, McClaurin and Brown, respectfully. All three have each put up more yards, receptions, and touchdowns in each category than Johnson, and have done a good job solidifying themselves as stars in this league. The other players mentioned don’t have nearly the statistics to compete with these other receivers, or even Johnson himself. Again, it’s just one short video, but the fact that Johnson is not mentioned or shown at all throughout is something we, as fans, can only hope he uses as an inner motivator for the upcoming year. Johnson has put in the time and work to be able to be recognized as one of the top young WRs is this league. His route running ability is second to none paired with his playmaking ability, and Steeler Nation should be excited for this guy’s future in the black and gold.

Are you excited to see Johnson’s progress next season? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Excited to see but hope he bought himself a top-end jugs machine like JuJu did a couple years ago. As a WR, he absolutely should have one and use it daily.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
If Johnson can limit his drops and stay healthy he would be a one. In my opinion he is built a little fragile for that. I was always amazed at AB's durability considering his size. like this kid coming out from Alabama. He looks like there is nothing he can't do on the field, until he meets a 215 lb Safety.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
One thing you can't teach is quickness. Route running, catching technique, hand usage, etc can be worked on.

DJ has some tools that few do, if he works on the other stuff he can become a terror for defensive coaches.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
I just dont get how a kid making millions of $$ to play a game can feel disrespected, but if it makes him a better receiver then cool
Sometimes money isn't a priority for someone mastering their abilities as they drive towards their goals. I had dinner with an Olympic/World Champion and he didn't just wrestle, it was his lifestyle. Everyday he woke up and his life was dedicated to his craft. When someone like Johnson wakes up to his lifestyle and hears that he isn't worthy of mention in a discussion about his position, in his draft class, do you think he opened the banking app on his phone and with a smile said..."**** it...I'm good bro"?

Nah, that's what guys like you and I would do. That's why we're talking **** on a message board and he's playing a game, wearing the uniform, that we wish we had the opportunity to do.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes money isn't a priority for someone mastering their abilities as they drive towards their goals. I had dinner with an Olympic/World Champion and he didn't just wrestle, it was his lifestyle. Everyday he woke up and his life was dedicated to his craft. When someone like Johnson wakes up to his lifestyle and hears that he isn't worthy of mention in a discussion about his position, in his draft class, do you think he opened the banking app on his phone and with a smile said..."**** it...I'm good bro"?

Nah, that's what guys like you and I would do. That's why we're talking **** on a message board and he's playing a game, wearing the uniform, that we wish we had the opportunity to do.

Lets hope that is the case when it comes to resign him.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I love the kid but he needs to clean up his drops...then he'll be excellent. He's not in AJ or Metcalf's league atm.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Johnson was hyped up going into last season based on what he did as a rookie. He follows it up by leading or being near the league lead in drops. He did it to himself. But hey, whatever motivates him to be a better player I'm all for it.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
He was a receiver on a team that threw the ball 50 times a game and was last in league in running the wrs got their opportunities. Neither Washington or johnson stood out as anything but average. the golden domer though looks like he’s got the potential to be another Hines. Johnson has a ways to go doesn’t look anything but ordinary. AB flashed early on that he had big play talent and the work ethic to get to next level Washington and johnson not so much. The worse thing about promoting fichtner to OC is we lost a good wr coach and good passing game guy...he obviously wasn’t a running game guy. what weve got in canada is a huge question mark. we’ll see...

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I just dont get how a kid making millions of $$ to play a game can feel disrespected, but if it makes him a better receiver then cool
I for one want the guy who takes his motivation from how well he plays, and being the best at it, and not his bank account. The guy pushing to be the best because he wants to be the best will always outplay the guy doing it for money.

Joe

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
That's literally what Tom Brady has done his entire career.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Disrespect as motivation...did the jugs machine laugh at him again?
Wait a minute, he's never spent time to get to know that machine.
puh-lease just catch a damn ball and stfu until you start with step 1 of your job

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I for one want the guy who takes his motivation from how well he plays, and being the best at it, and not his bank account. The guy pushing to be the best because he wants to be the best will always outplay the guy doing it for money.

Joe
I hope he ends up "the best" but to me he is starting to sound like a little whining *****. I hope I am wrong

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I completely disagree. He cheated through most of his career and got a bit lucky last year
You can disagree all that you want but that will never change his approach. He still uses that chip and it was a topic of conversation when Trevor Lawrence basically said he won’t use that same style of motivation. In fact, the media tried to criticize him for it.