• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Jones ready to put in work to get better

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bust! He sucks! Retire now!

/Jones Haters

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
He is too small and has no moves. How can you improve when you are the best you will already be? Bust like Bust-A-molo.

Love the attitude, hope Worilds can also put in the work. Joey should impact both

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Ready? What's he waiting for? Shouldn't he be on that already. Lol

clearly you didn't read the article, so I pull some quotes for you.

Jones knows in order to take it to the next level he is going to have to use this offseason to its fullest, both in the weight room, film room and class room.

"There is always room for improvement," said Jones. "As much as you can learn, you have to take advantage of the offseason, know what to expect, prepare for. Taking advantage of the offseason, going over the things I need to learn. This offseason will be great for me to continue to learn the playbook and ask questions.

"I want to work on physical conditioning, building strength. The mental part I want to become a student of the game. I don't want to go out there and just play, but understand the game of football as far as formations and tendencies. This offseason I want to hone in on the mental part of the game so when game time comes I can look at the formation and know what's going on and not wait for somebody to tell me. It will help me play faster."

This wasn't an interview that he gave today, just a story that was PUBLISHED today.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Always will take positive attitude, from our players!!!!!!!!

Salute the nation

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I'm hoping he turns into another Lloyd, Porter or Harrison, but the best I see is Carlos Emmons.

If one recalls, Emmons was a terrific LB who could not rush the QB for sh1t, and as a result, did not realize his potential until he played in the 4-3 with the Eagles.

It's as if the Steelers actually forgot that a 3-4 OLB needs to be able to rush the QB in the NFL. As it pertains to Jones, I hope they know what they're doing.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
It is easy to say the right things... it is a lot harder to do the right things... hopefully, like Go Steelers said, he is practicing what he is preaching.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
I'm hoping he turns into another Lloyd, Porter or Harrison, but the best I see is Carlos Emmons.

If one recalls, Emmons was a terrific LB who could not rush the QB for sh1t, and as a result, did not realize his potential until he played in the 4-3 with the Eagles.

It's as if the Steelers actually forgot that a 3-4 OLB needs to be able to rush the QB in the NFL. As it pertains to Jones, I hope they know what they're doing.

Heres the thing- I thought JJ did an adequate job of rushing the QB- but simply not having the strength to turn the corner or get a hand on the QB. I distinctly remember a few whiffs from him that could have been potential sacks. I am actually very confident he will get stronger, and those 'maybe's' become actual sacks.

My only concern is his ability to hold the edge. In fact, thats what scares me about both our OLB's for next year...

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Heres the thing- I thought JJ did an adequate job of rushing the QB- but simply not having the strength to turn the corner or get a hand on the QB. I distinctly remember a few whiffs from him that could have been potential sacks. I am actually very confident he will get stronger, and those 'maybe's' become actual sacks.

My only concern is his ability to hold the edge. In fact, thats what scares me about both our OLB's for next year...

He actually was very good against the run last year. I too remember him getting close alot last year but not being strong enough to finish.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Given the **** 8-8 last season, I'm not sure why anyone really cares what Uncle Jarvis actually did as a rookie in a complex, new system. Whether he sucked or blew the lights out, the only concern should be his performance this coming season; his attitude seems correct, with Porter to help out, he can make a good/great contribution this year.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Given the **** 8-8 last season, I'm not sure why anyone really cares what Uncle Jarvis actually did as a rookie in a complex, new system. Whether he sucked or blew the lights out, the only concern should be his performance this coming season; his attitude seems correct, with Porter to help out, he can make a good/great contribution this year.

you dont have to look hard to find the naysayers and boo birds.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I hope he explodes. I truly do. We need it. But, Jones was not exactly known as a film room or workout junkie at Georgia. In fact, he admitted that he was not a workout junkie and said he trained by "playing football". That is all well and good, but it does not build your core strength and you can bet there are hundreds of NFL guys that hit the weight room every day that will whip his *** if he does not develop that same attitude. I will take a hard worker with little talent over talent that won't work everyday. So, I'll take a wait and see approach.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with TMC. Jones seems to realize he wasn't strong enough last year. Plus, that had to be in his ear all the time as everyone who watched him play said the same thing. He wasn't strong enough to go against the linemen. Once they got their hands on him, he was done. Hopefully, he can put on 5 or 10 pounds of muscle this offseason, along with studying film. If he does that and continues to do that, we might have something there but we will have to wait and see.

I

Idioteque

I don't think strength is his only issue. It shouldn't be much of one at all, considering he's already older than almost everyone in his draft class. (I'd also worry about him packing on weight, as he doesn't run or change direction very quickly as it is.) Jarvis also needs technique, to develop some semblance of a pass rush arsenal. To this point, all I've seen him do to beat a LT is bull rush, which was effective in school and not so much as a rookie.

I don't care that much about his knowledge of the playbook, or ability to grasp our scheme, quite so much as I want him to learn what NFL OTs do and how to counter it. Woodley was raw as a rookie, but learned quickly how to beat the OT and get into the backfield consistently.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I honestly think Joey Porter was brought back primarily to work with Jarvis. They are simarily built guys. Woodley was and is a different animal. He was a DE in college. Bigger guy. I was more worried about how he would do in coverage then rushing. I dont think Jarvis is far away from being productive he was close alot. Just couldnt finish the deal. I thought it was cause he wasnt strong enough looks like he thinks so too. We will see.