• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

JuJu Explains Why He Chose to Stay in Pittsburgh

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This off-season for the Pittsburgh Steelers was one of bittersweet departures. Many key players the Steelers drafted and fans watched constantly develop and become household names decided to move on. However, one fan favorite that chose to stay in Pittsburgh was wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster. Smith-Schuster recently joined the Michael Irvin Podcast and explained his reasoning for staying in the black and gold in 2021 over the reigning AFC Champion Kansas City Chiefs.

“Just seeing K.C. and bro, Andy Reid was just calling me and he was sending me Lombardi Trophy pictures like constantly. We had a good talk, so it would’ve been K.C. after the Steelers. Being somewhere in an atmosphere and environment, knowing where the team knows you, they know your history, they know how you are, how to use you and stuff like that. Coming back and knowing that I would have Ben Roethlisberger back for one more year and playing my last year, it was just like, ‘Yo, I’m gonna take my chance, I’m gonna play with Ben.'”.

Smith-Schuster had multiple other offers outside of the Steelers including the Baltimore Ravens, Philadelphia Eagles and the aforementioned Chiefs. Smith-Schuster signed a one-year year deal for $8 million with the Steelers and also spoke on his main reasoning for staying.

“But I think with me it’s more so staying home, staying loyal. In my situation, we have a new offensive coordinator, Ben’s coming back, my relationship with my receiver coach, Ike Hilliard, is amazing. You can’t beat that.”

Smith-Schuster has built a great relationship with veteran quarterback Roethilsberger and clearly felt that if he was going to sign a one-year extension, then playing with a quarterback he’s built such a solid rapport with would be in his best interest. I think I’m speaking for many Steelers fans when I say that I am extremely delighted to have JuJu back for one more year and am hopeful the salary cap situation in 2022 allows for a long-term extension to keep him in Pittsburgh much longer.

What was your opinion on the Smith-Schuster contract? Sound off in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent write up Zachary, thank you kindly.

Make no mistake I am glad he is back and the $$$$chAchiG$$$$ was right for us as well. I want him to produce and help the team in any way possible and hopefully we can sign him long term.

I'm also hoping this experience helped mature him up a little and add in more team first VS his actions.

Salute the nation

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Smith-Schuster had multiple other offers outside of the Steelers including the Baltimore Ravens, Philadelphia Eagles and the aforementioned Chiefs.
The Eagles never made an offer to JuJu. That was a false report.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I think it was a mistake to pass up a chance to play with Mahomes.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it was a mistake to pass up a chance to play with Mahomes.

How much do you think he would have gotten to play ??? If injury to one of their guys then he'd step right in but initially I think he'd be fighting for targets.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
How much do you think he would have gotten to play ??? If injury to one of their guys then he'd step right in but initially I think he'd be fighting for targets.

Salute the nation
I dunno. They made him an offer. I think his best move money-wise was to stay here and be a FA again next year when the cap goes up but KC is the new hotness and the Steelers are old and busted.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He is saying all the right things. He is also betting on himself, in hopes of cashing in the following year.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I'm still thinking the Steelers will sign him long term before he hits the market again. I think he's going to have a great year. Guy is definitely working and turning into more of a physical specimen every year. He's certainly not getting fat&lazy playing video games.

I'm absolutely rooting for him and everyone on the team to have a monster year.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Ju Ju thinks he's a #1 WR here, he wont be on KC.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I think JuJu is smart enough to realize if he plays really well this year and endears himself to the fans by staying he can get A. A really good payday from us next year and B. Cement his Pittsburgh brand to maximize his endorsement opportunities and future business ventures by showing loyalty whether real or calculated.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ju Ju thinks he's a #1 WR here, he wont be on KC.
You know what he thinks now? So what even if he does, all players strive to be the best they can be. KC like Pittsburgh he would be an option. They lost a WR so he probably would have fit in nicely and been productive with who they have at QB. You always seem to knock everyone and everything. Once a twatwaffle always a twatwaffle.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Happy JuJu stayed. As long as he dons a Steelers uni, I’ll cheer for him to be successful.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Happy JuJu stayed. As long as he dons a Steelers uni, I’ll cheer for him to be successful.

Definately glad he stayed but also hoping someone mentioned team first persona as well (meaning no more ******* dancing on team logos or things of that nature). May he make us proud he is wearing the STEELERS uniform.

I think he will have a great season as well as Ben & Co..

Salute the nation