• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Just watched some 2008 playoff games...

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
5cxmo7.jpg

Ole Mendenhall wasn't so bad either...
Parker had speed but not footwork. Result of not playing a lot in college. Before he broke his leg in 2007 - when he would have likely won rushing title - he was a different player. He lost just enough of a step that his speed wasn’t the same afterwards. He also didn’t have great hands.

I’ve always said Mendenhall was the engine on offense that got Steelers to 2010 Super Bowl. He was same in 2011 and torn ACL ended that team’s chances. Always thought the 2011 team was better than than the 2010 version—injuries at end did them in. He had a great initial burst and footwork but not break away speed.

But despite his ugly departure - Bell was overall the best of them. He wasn’t going to break 80 yard runs, but he was a play maker. He screwed himself leaving like he did, but it is what is

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
One thing for sure is that Fast Willie had more 20+ yards runs than Bell. Willie was also a pretty good blocker as well. Leveon had some good traits but his numbers are skewered due to how many touches he had. Hell, Bell had missed the last game of season and still had 1 2/3 games more touches than the next closet "touch" RB. This "great generational" L. Bell was way over used and depended upon thus NOT opening up and giving anyone else a chance to expand our offense as much.

Willie has a SB record rushing TD, what SB rushing attempts yet alone records does L.Bell have?

Salute the nation
Eh, is that a fair statement? Parker had a 75 yard TD run yet didn’t even have hundred yard game.

Bell had more hundred yard playoff games. Was better receiver. And really, he shouldn’t have been used as much as he was…. not with guys as good as Blount & Williams who could spell him.

That was coaching & Cowher using Bettis. But it’s also, at least with Super Bowl , Parker had that great Defense

Bell got hurt 3 times and the Steelers D vanished when needed most (while already extremely weak in secondary)

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Willie Parker Was the man. Ben has no rings without Fast Willie Parker. **** Rashard Mendenhall
There is no 3rd Super Bowl appearance without Mendenhall. He crushed the Jets in AFCCG and was huge part of the reason they rallied in 2nd half

bigben

Reaction score
Parker had speed but not footwork. Result of not playing a lot in college. Before he broke his leg in 2007 - when he would have likely won rushing title - he was a different player. He lost just enough of a step that his speed wasn’t the same afterwards. He also didn’t have great hands.

I’ve always said Mendenhall was the engine on offense that got Steelers to 2010 Super Bowl. He was same in 2011 and torn ACL ended that team’s chances. Always thought the 2011 team was better than than the 2010 version—injuries at end did them in. He had a great initial burst and footwork but not break away speed.

But despite his ugly departure - Bell was overall the best of them. He wasn’t going to break 80 yard runs, but he was a play maker. He screwed himself leaving like he did, but it is what is
Parker was pure speed and all heart, My favorite Steeler, a true underdog. alot of people didn't give him the respect he deserved, they wanted a bruiser in Black and Gold like Bettis. Fast Willie when healthy was the most exciting guy to watch. I remember him leading the league in rushing ahead of LT. Ahh the good old days.
Hoping Harriss can resurrect the run game.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Parker was pure speed and all heart, My favorite Steeler, a true underdog. alot of people didn't give him the respect he deserved, they wanted a bruiser in Black and Gold like Bettis. Fast Willie when healthy was the most exciting guy to watch. I remember him leading the league in rushing ahead of LT. Ahh the good old days.
Hoping Harriss can resurrect the run game.
Parker was a extremely gifted RB. He still owns the team’s single season TD record and was a sure thing to win 2007 rushing title.

He just didn’t get the reps in college to develop the rest of what it took to be a great RB in pros. One has to wonder what those coaches were smoking

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Did you appropriately reply SUHWEEEEET TITTIES!
I remember this from way back when. What was the origin behind it?

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Parker was a extremely gifted RB. He still owns the team’s single season TD record and was a sure thing to win 2007 rushing title.

He just didn’t get the reps in college to develop the rest of what it took to be a great RB in pros. One has to wonder what those coaches were smoking

I think they overused Parker in the 2005-2007 period. He just wasn't built for the kind of work load that Cowher then Tomlin put on him.

His yards per carry declined each year, and despite the overall production in 2007, there were signs that his speed was declining even before the injury. The game-breaking type runs we saw in prior seasons just weren't there.

People who think he was even in the same universe as Leveon Bell are on crack.

He was faster. That's it.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately the young RB wants every carry possible. Their willingness combined with coach attitude to run them till the wheels fall off make for "wear out" before their time.

Bell's hold out only delayed the inevitable of wear out. He had been carrying to big a work load and it would have shown a lot had he payed on his 1 year hold out. In NY you can say what you want about coaching but one could see the wear on LeVeon every time he touched the football. His career was headed down from the huge load he had endured so I'm glad we didn't sign him to long term cap hit deal.

Willie Parker carried a big work-load as well. He was asked in an interview and he said he wanted the rock as he can handle it. His work load led to his demise as well, prematurely as it was. His 2007 injury was partly due to he was just wore down.

Loved Willy for his "underdognism". Loved Bell before his ignorantism.

Salute the nation