• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Just watched some 2008 playoff games...

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
5cxmo7.jpg

Ole Mendenhall wasn't so bad either...

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
One thing for sure is that Fast Willie had more 20+ yards runs than Bell. Willie was also a pretty good blocker as well. Leveon had some good traits but his numbers are skewered due to how many touches he had. Hell, Bell had missed the last game of season and still had 1 2/3 games more touches than the next closet "touch" RB. This "great generational" L. Bell was way over used and depended upon thus NOT opening up and giving anyone else a chance to expand our offense as much.

Willie has a SB record rushing TD, what SB rushing attempts yet alone records does L.Bell have?

Salute the nation

bigben

Reaction score
Willie Parker Was the man. Ben has no rings without Fast Willie Parker. **** Rashard Mendenhall

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
One thing for sure is that Fast Willie had more 20+ yards runs than Bell. Willie was also a pretty good blocker as well. Leveon had some good traits but his numbers are skewered due to how many touches he had. Hell, Bell had missed the last game of season and still had 1 2/3 games more touches than the next closet "touch" RB. This "great generational" L. Bell was way over used and depended upon thus NOT opening up and giving anyone else a chance to expand our offense as much.

Willie has a SB record rushing TD, what SB rushing attempts yet alone records does L.Bell have?

Salute the nation

That was a stand up on the table full screaming gooooooo moment for me on that 75 yd run. The whole Steeler bar went ******* nuts

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Willie Parker Was the man. Ben has no rings without Fast Willie Parker. **** Rashard Mendenhall
Oh, it hurt when bloodline came crashing through unblocked and crushed Mendenhall the moment he got the ball. I believe in my heart that if that play isn't made, the Steelers go on to score in that drive, breaking the Packer's lead and their spirit and they win the game.

That fumble sucked. But as I remember it, sadly the FB completely whiffed on on the block.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, it hurt when bloodline came crashing through unblocked and crushed Mendenhall the moment he got the ball. I believe in my heart that if that play isn't made, the Steelers go on to score in that drive, breaking the Packer's lead and their spirit and they win the game.

That fumble sucked. But as I remember it, sadly the FB completely whiffed on on the block.

That Full Back is proudly known as "whiff" Johnson.

Mendenhall shouldn't be judged on one play as he was pretty good considering the OL at the time. I agree with you on the possible change of momentum and out come of game had we went on to score in that drive.

Salute the nation

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My fave FWP moment is his first start against the Bills on the last game of the regular season...only Steeler fans knew who he was and what he was capable of. Of course, he ran all over the Bills and knocked them out of playoff contention.

My buddy (in the band I was with) is from Niagara Falls and is a YUGE Bills fan...calls me up and sez "who the **** is Willie Parker?" Lolz.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My fave FWP moment is his first start against the Bills on the last game of the regular season...only Steeler fans knew who he was and what he was capable of. Of course, he ran all over the Bills and knocked them out of playoff contention.

My buddy (in the band I was with) is from Niagara Falls and is a YUGE Bills fan...calls me up and sez "who the **** is Willie Parker?" Lolz.
Did you appropriately reply SUHWEEEEET TITTIES!

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Thread regarding 2008 Steelers with 11 posts before me and not 1 mention of that defense. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
against
LT Mike Adams, LG Ramon Foster, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG David DeCastro, RT Kelvin Beachum

So do we still think Najee Harris is gonna light the world on fire this year?
against
LT Mike Adams, LG Ramon Foster, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG David DeCastro, RT Kelvin Beachum

So do we still think Najee Harris is gonna light the world on fire this year?

Najee will be the best RB we've had in a long time. Scheme will help him immensly and his ability is lights out. Our OL will give him enough to be a factor in our overall scheme of offense.

LeMEon Bell's style of run would not bode well for this OL.

Salute the nation

steelreeling

Reaction score
Najee will be the best RB we've had in a long time. Scheme will help him immensly and his ability is lights out. Our OL will give him enough to be a factor in our overall scheme of offense.

LeMEon Bell's style of run would not bode well for this OL.

Salute the nation
i think Najee has to be even better than that because scheme-wise the OLine is a terrible, terrible fit. Let's hope that Najee is the next Walter Payton because...

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
i think Najee has to be even better than that because scheme-wise the OLine is a terrible, terrible fit. Let's hope that Najee is the next Walter Payton because...

Just curious as to how they are a miserable fit when the starting OL hasn't actually been determined yet? Time will tell as TRAINING CAMP is fastly approaching. A lot will be determined and believe me, CANADA's scheme will be hands down better than Fitchner's ever was, how did that OL do in that scheme?

My comment is we will do much better with Najee in this new scheme than with himin the O'l Randy scheme.

Salute the nation

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
yes Johnson whiffed completely on his block Mendy got through the hole and without the FB he was 1-3 and it was when Clay AJ were solid LB's who hit him really hard.

steelreeling

Reaction score
Just curious as to how they are a miserable fit when the starting OL hasn't actually been determined yet? Time will tell as TRAINING CAMP is fastly approaching. A lot will be determined and believe me, CANADA's scheme will be hands down better than Fitchner's ever was, how did that OL do in that scheme?

My comment is we will do much better with Najee in this new scheme than with himin the O'l Randy scheme.

Salute the nation
i say miserable fit because amongst the guys that we do have on the OL - the unit neither road-grades man-on-man against the big-boy DL of the AFC, nor can they get out quick and seal-off DL/LBers in a zone scheme. Though there are 1-2 OL that can do either ONE of the afore mentioned schemes fairly well, none great.

Canada comes in with a quandry: move to an outside (or inside) zone scheme so that the weaker OL dont have to win their battle every time. They just have to skeddadle, position quickly, push, scrub and wash. Or move to an inside game with unbalanced sets where your interior guys beat the **** out of DL and allow the superior numbers, TEs and C, etc. to move up to the second level and win against lighter D, nickel, FS, etc.

Now Canada has nothing to fit either scheme. Green was great out on the kick, out in space in college - prolly good pro at the outside running game (he'll learn the inside w/ time in the pros), DeCastro is declining in that area but serviceable. Dot & everyone else just cant get there; and as a consequence they get rag-dolled and thrown down. As far as chewing up & moving people, Dot is pretty damn good with Chucks being serviceable, the rest get their lunch money stolen.

That leaves you w/ Najee. In the pros he's a jump-cut inside running guy bulldozing the D at the second level. With an OL decent at mauling, Najee will look damn good in the pros. But he's REALLY NOT McFarland (w/ Canada in Maryland) or Travis Etienne. He'll do okay zipping out east-to-west but he doesnt have the afterburners to stretch the D on a Terrell Davis-like 25-30 yards lateral pitch and cut.

Let's HOPE to Jesus that people are low-balling Freiermuth's run-blocking prowess. You might rue the day we let Fitchner go. Yearn for last year's running game! how sick would that be?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
i say miserable fit because amongst the guys that we do have on the OL - the unit neither road-grades man-on-man against the big-boy DL of the AFC, nor can they get out quick and seal-off DL/LBers in a zone scheme. Though there are 1-2 OL that can do either ONE of the afore mentioned schemes fairly well, none great.

Canada comes in with a quandry: move to an outside (or inside) zone scheme so that the weaker OL dont have to win their battle every time. They just have to skeddadle, position quickly, push, scrub and wash. Or move to an inside game with unbalanced sets where your interior guys beat the **** out of DL and allow the superior numbers, TEs and C, etc. to move up to the second level and win against lighter D, nickel, FS, etc.

Now Canada has nothing to fit either scheme. Green was great out on the kick, out in space in college - prolly good pro at the outside running game (he'll learn the inside w/ time in the pros), DeCastro is declining in that area but serviceable. Dot & everyone else just cant get there; and as a consequence they get rag-dolled and thrown down. As far as chewing up & moving people, Dot is pretty damn good with Chucks being serviceable, the rest get their lunch money stolen.

That leaves you w/ Najee. In the pros he's a jump-cut inside running guy bulldozing the D at the second level. With an OL decent at mauling, Najee will look damn good in the pros. But he's REALLY NOT McFarland (w/ Canada in Maryland) or Travis Etienne. He'll do okay zipping out east-to-west but he doesnt have the afterburners to stretch the D on a Terrell Davis-like 25-30 yards lateral pitch and cut.

Let's HOPE to Jesus that people are low-balling Freiermuth's run-blocking prowess. You might rue the day we let Fitchner go. Yearn for last year's running game! how sick would that be?

Good post !

I'm more a guy 1/2 full as I think our offense will be way better this year than last. We drafted a pretty good RB and FO (front office) mandated a committment to the run. Randy Fitchner is gone and we can't celebrate that enough.

I realize there are obstacles but still moving forward and up as last season left us near nowhere to go but up.

alute the nation

steelreeling

Reaction score
Good post !

I'm more a guy 1/2 full as I think our offense will be way better this year than last. We drafted a pretty good RB and FO (front office) mandated a committment to the run. Randy Fitchner is gone and we can't celebrate that enough.

I realize there are obstacles but still moving forward and up as last season left us near nowhere to go but up.

alute the nation
Thanks man. i hope the glass is half full. I think Canada uses decoys and motion for momentum and situational calls to be more unpredictable than Fitch. It did work better.

I just scared that all the trapping and scheming can blow up in your face - big time - if the Line is weak, and particularly if it's weak in the middle. Which is why i'd like the picks and FAs to have more cohesion on the OL and RB.

Having Ben back helps a TON. noodle-arm should be stronger this year.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score

That would be one David 'whiif"Johnson

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score

That play and Kemo getting bull rushed into Ben's arm when he threw an INT early in the game also ****** us.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Fast willie had the jets man… fast Willie+Allan faneca = instant offense

steelreeling

Reaction score

So i see they brought in Chaz Green to compete for a tackle position. Green coming into the league in 15 was notable only for his eye-opening athleticism. While being pretty quick, he was the guy that could actually get to those impossible reach blocks 15-20 yards on outside at the next level. Clearly a zone-running blocker if there was one.

What a mind-**** Canada is oh-so desperate to put together on the OL here. Someone should tell him that we dont have a small burner wideout like Tyreek Hill.

What the EF is he tryin to do?! If CG makes the 53-man cut I just throw the clipboard at Canada.

I mean really - we CANNOT field a team with such a mix-matched personnel that the opposing defense would have to respect 1. a dive, 2. a 5-wide go-route, 3. a Green-Bay toss sweep, 4. an inside trap, 5. a RB screen, 6. a double reverse, or 7. deep crossing routes.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

The last line here is the best !!!! I'd responded with "why he is a PITTSBURGH STEELERS player, that's who"

Salute the nation