• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kalijah Cancey

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Pitt fans - explain why we'd draft this dude. Yeah, I get that he's compared to Aaron Donald, and I've seen him mocked to us in a few drafts. I just don't believe he'll be the plug on the DL we need.

Especially when you look at who we pass over.

Yeah I wanted Donald so badly even though I didn’t know how he would fit in the 3/4 system we were using then… Cancey is very similar but I just don’t have the same feeling about him… i don’t even know why… i was passing him up in mock drafts at 49 early on… he has definitely climbed up into first round territory and Im still not really convinced that he’s going to be great…

Id rather them target several other Pitt players in the lower rounds instead

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Cancey is no where near Donald's level. His arm length and lack of mass will get him washed out in the run game. If you draft Cancey, you're drafting him for his quickness and ability to generate pressure from the interior--something he has been excellent at over the course of his career. For the Steelers, he'd be a situational defensive lineman specifically for his ability as a pass rusher and shouldn't be in play until 2.49 or 3.80.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Where would Cancey play? Definitely NOT 0-tech. He would be tossed off the LOS by 325 lb. centers. 5-tech? Nope. Not nearly big enough to take on those athletic, 6'5" OT's. So 3 or 3i? Yeah, sure. Cam is 6'5", 300 lbs. and it took him 3 years to become a force at that spot but yeah, 280 lb. Cancey should fit right in there, you betcha.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Cancey is no where near Donald's level. His arm length and lack of mass will get him washed out in the run game. If you draft Cancey, you're drafting him for his quickness and ability to generate pressure from the interior--something he has been excellent at over the course of his career. For the Steelers, he'd be a situational defensive lineman specifically for his ability as a pass rusher and shouldn't be in play until 2.49 or 3.80.

Thank you, I think one of the big three LTs will be there an I’d go that instead of this guy. Like many here are saying, maybe later round pending on who is there.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he's there w/ our second pick - but I doubt it...

I don’t think I even take him there. We have bigger needs and I’m thinking better players still there at 2.1 & 2.17.

Salute the nation

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
But would he be compared to Donald as much if he went to any other school?

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Cancey May turn out to be a solid pro, but he just doesn’t fit the type of defense PIT uses. The pass rush is generated primarily by the OLBs and dog blitzing from the ILBs or stunts from the DE/DT. The D Line with hands in the dirt are typically 6’4” 290-300 on ends and 320+ at the 0 tech or shading the center or guard.

He be a player, just not in our system.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t think I even take him there. We have bigger needs and I’m thinking better players still there at 2.1 & 2.17.

Salute the nation
See that is the dilemma could the Steelers say there is a spot that they equivalently start him over a player with the appropriate size requirements, would he be a part time starter? Would he be a liability in some way form or fashion? Flipping the script backwards isn't that somewhat what happened with Bush? Lovely speed but can he get off blocks? Can he hold up and stay injury free being a smaller player? Bush came with concerns and so does Kancey. In those 1,2A, and 2B picks you really want less questions and more starter capable check marks.

And this is with liking the prospect. I even mocked him plenty. If he is there in the third, I am more willing to take on multiple question marks. As this team needs starter capable players. As many as possible.

Last edited:

steelreeling

Reaction score
Cancey May turn out to be a solid pro, but he just doesn’t fit the type of defense PIT uses. The pass rush is generated primarily by the OLBs and dog blitzing from the ILBs or stunts from the DE/DT. The D Line with hands in the dirt are typically 6’4” 290-300 on ends and 320+ at the 0 tech or shading the center or guard.

He be a player, just not in our system.
On defense, the coaching staff considers where a player fits his role in a particular position. So I agree with you and Supe that he doesn't fit and that he won't be drafted by the Steelers.

Of course on offense, the coaches draft players for Noah's Ark*. If there is any chance Cancey is able to play Right Tackle, then I believe the coaches will consider drafting him in the first round.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
nowhere in a 3-4 unless you get him to drop 10-15 lbs to play OLB, 6"1 280 is 3 T size in a 43 he would get pushed worse than ziggy hood in a 3-4 as a 5t, he is freaky athletic and would need to be next an old school NG like a Hampton, Wilfork, Vea to command a double team and free him to freelance.
I see him as a perfect LE in a 4-3 penetrating shooting gaps scheme like what Philly or the Dungy Colts ran. Or if he on a big dl like the giants or jets where the 1t is big and easily can clogg the b gap he could be perfect 3t, he will fully depend on team scheme.

Like teams he could start and thrive
buffalo next to 1t Phillips
tampa next Vea
Philly next to Davis
Giants next to Dexter

Last edited:

keslerclan

Reaction score
A guy like Donald doesn't come around too often and while I like Kancey, he is EXACTLY HALF as good as Donald at virtually the same size.

Donald had twice as many TFLs in one year as Kancey had in 2. Donald had twice as many sacks, total tackles and more than double the solo tackles roughly in each year at Pitt.

Big Snack was so dominant that at a power 5 school, he led the team in total tackles from the DL with over 90.

While there may be a top 5 DL list every year, the Donald's and Hampton's are very far and few between.

There might be a future Cam Heyward in this draft who takes a few years to put on "good weight" and learn how to play/prepare as a pro but there are "0" Cam Heyward's coming directly "outa the box" in this draft.

Donald, Heyward, Simmons, Jones, Wilkins...just to name a few are not in every draft, regardless if they are rated as top 10 picks.

We won't get a Heywardish guy to contribute this year or even a Tuitt but there may be a few worth picking to get more than Ogunjobi or Wormley give us.

Stewey

Reaction score
nowhere in a 3-4 unless you get him to drop 10-15 lbs to play OLB, 6"1 280 is 3 T size in a 43 he would get pushed worse than ziggy hood in a 3-4 as a 5t, he is freaky athletic and would need to be next an old school NG like a Hampton, Wilfork, Vea to command a double team and free him to freelance.
I see him as a perfect LE in a 4-3 penetrating shooting gaps scheme like what Philly or the Dungy Colts ran. Or if he on a big dl like the giants or jets where the 1t is big and easily can clogg the b gap he could be perfect 3t, he will fully depend on team scheme.

Like teams he could start and thrive
buffalo next to 1t Phillips
tampa next Vea
Philly next to Davis
Giants next to Dexter
Ugh...Ziggy Hood. Coach warned us about drafting him.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
See that is the dilemma could the Steelers say there is a spot that they equivalently start him over a player with the appropriate size requirements, would he be a part time starter? Would he be a liability in some way form or fashion? Flipping the script backwards isn't that somewhat what happened with Bush? Lovely speed but can he get off blocks? Can he hold up and stay injury free being a smaller player? Bush came with concerns and so does Cancey. In those 1,2A, and 2B picks you really want less questions and more starter capable check marks.

And this is with liking the prospect. I even mocked him plenty. If he is there in the third, I am more willing to take on multiple question marks. As this team needs starter capable players. As many as possible.

Those first three picks should be players that aren’t a “what if”, but more of a “yes, he fits here” type.

I know BPA is always in play but can’t that BPA be a player that also is a player of need.

We have many needs, that should play into BPA handily and with Weild in the mix, I feel more confident in the picks.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Those first three picks should be players that aren’t a “what if”, but more of a “yes, he fits here” type.

I know BPA is always in play but can’t that BPA be a player that also is a player of need.

We have many needs, that should play into BPA handily and with Weild in the mix, I feel more confident in the picks.

Salute the nation
It absolutely should be BPA at an area of need. We know they aren't taking a QB or RB in the first 4 rounds. I can't see a WR in Rd 1 but they could do something dumb and take one in Rd. 2. They should be looking at BPA in Rd. 1 at OL, CB, DL. They also could sneak in OLB or ILB and maybe even S in the first 4 rounds. Ideally, we can get the BPA at OL, CB, and DL with our first 3 picks if the draft goes our way. That would go a long way to filling our biggest holes.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It absolutely should be BPA at an area of need. We know they aren't taking a QB or RB in the first 4 rounds. I can't see a WR in Rd 1 but they could do something dumb and take one in Rd. 2. They should be looking at BPA in Rd. 1 at OL, CB, DL. They also could sneak in OLB or ILB and maybe even S in the first 4 rounds. Ideally, we can get the BPA at OL, CB, and DL with our first 3 picks if the draft goes our way. That would go a long way to filling our biggest holes.

Absolutely, our OL is close to being relevant And all we need is 2 pieces. If we can get that stud LT, that would go a long way towards relevancy.

I hope if the LT is there, we actually pick him and NOT put off the investment.

Remeber it is an offensive league, let’s make our offense great again……. Starting in the trenches

Salute the nation

Stewey

Reaction score
Actually his last name starts with a 'K' not a 'C', and his first name starts with a 'C' and not a 'K'.
It's Calijah Kancey.

You guys don't know anything about football.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It’s not a great WR draft, but this team needs depth. They have two right now and need a slot receiver.

Actually his last name starts with a 'K' not a 'C', and his first name starts with a 'C' and not a 'K'.
It's Calijah Kancey.

It’s like trying to get Vernon Haynes or Vernon Hayes correct. lol

Stewey

Reaction score
It’s not a great WR draft, but this team needs depth. They have two right now and need a slot receiver.

It’s like trying to get Vernon Haynes or Vernon Hayes correct. lol

Yes, but that's a little different, The K and C were backwards in Calijah Kancey.

Yours is a pronunciation mistake. Regardless, your point taken. It's easy to make those kinds of mistakes.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
It's Calijah Kancey.

I thought something looked off on the spelling but just went with it.😅

Always had the ability to look at a word and tell it is misspelled. Spelling it correctly that still might be hit or miss but yeah. (Google is our spelling friend)

Stewey

Reaction score
I thought something looked off on the spelling but just went with it.😅

Always had the ability to look at a word and tell it is misspelled. Spelling it correctly that still might be hit or miss but yeah. (Google is our spelling friend)

Yeah, but that was really no big deal. It's easy to make mistakes with new names.