• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Keep or Cut: Mark Barron

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
By CJ Lester SteelerNation.com The Pittsburgh Steelers made a few “nothing to write home about” type splashes last off-season during the free agency period. Three headline additions to the roster during free agency were WR Donte Moncrief, CB Steven Nelson, and LB Mark Barron. Moncrief was cut in the middle of season due to struggles […]

More...

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Keep he isn't dead weight...

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
If you had to choose between keeping him or keeping Hilton who would you choose?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
If you had to choose between keeping him or keeping Hilton who would you choose?

Neither command big money one restructure allows you to keep one or both.

But let us say if I HAD to choose......

I would keep Barron. Slot Cbs are a little easier to find than LBers who can cover. Plus we have Sutton who can step in and nobody behind Barron. Which for me is an easy decide.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Barron is depth and needs to be paid accordingly. Bush will get more snaps and Williams is the starter.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
If Bush can become a true three down LB then Barron's value increases. Last year William's was required to stuff the run. Which meant Barron was redundant to Bush.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bush is a 3 down LB and you will see more of that this year. I expect him to take his good rookie year and I expect him to have a great year this year. He really showed signs of why they moved up to get him and with a season and an off-season under his belt, he will make that big leap you expect going into a second season. With Watt, Bush and Minkah at the 3 levels of the D, they will be the backbone of our D for the next 6 to 8 years.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Bush and Barron didn't always have the same coverage assignments and let us not forget Vince is deficient in that area.

Depending on what coverage dime etc.

So we are assuming Bush will be able to handle every coverage and then on top of it not get injured.Even if it is short term a game loss due to an area being exposed. Could be the difference on if the team stays home or sees the playoffs.

At the very least Barron would be a rotational player

Sorry I will continue to pimp keeping Barron, extend him or free up money elsewhere.

Last edited:

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I keep Barron as long as he can be extended thus lowering his cap hit to maximum 3M this coming season. That way we have 5M available to keep hilton and banner

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Bush and Barron didn't always have the same coverage assignments and let us not forget Vince is deficient in that area.

Depending on what coverage dime etc.

So we are assuming Bush will be able to handle every coverage and then on top of it not get injured.Even if it is short term a game loss due to an area being exposed. Could be the difference on if the team stays home or sees the playoffs.

At the very least Barron would be a rotational player

Sorry I will continue to pimp keeping Barron, extend him or free up money elsewhere.

It will cost under 6 million to keep him vs. cut him. I agree with you. He is worth that. In fact you could cut Chick with the exact same effect on the cap. All I'm saying is that if Bush is better vs. teh run, Barron's value increases. You are definitely better with the two of them on the field vs. the pass. But they didn't fair to well vs. the run without Williams.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
It will cost under 6 million to keep him vs. cut him. I agree with you. He is worth that. In fact you could cut Chick with the exact same effect on the cap. All I'm saying is that if Bush is better vs. teh run, Barron's value increases. You are definitely better with the two of them on the field vs. the pass. But they didn't fair to well vs. the run without Williams.

You forget about Ulysses Grant III. Vince for run and Gilbert for pass. If we get another safety we could drop Edmunds in the box during passing plays and let Minkah and draft pick play safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
You forget about Ulysses Grant III. Vince for run and Gilbert for pass. If we get another safety we could drop Edmunds in the box during passing plays and let Minkah and draft pick play safety.

Grant is a unknown. always best to not factor in a high degree of unknown.

Like it was said you can let Foster and Chick go those are dead weights. Then they can restructure from the top down until they achieve their desired availability.

If a player isn't on the field, or doesn't bring value I see cutting them. You don't build championship teams by depleting value. ..

Muddler

Reaction score
Unless he can be replaced by someone better at a reasonable cost - Keep. The fact is that the defense played great last year and Barron was a part of that. Guys with the size and speed to cover TEs and RBs are a critical piece of NFL defenses these days.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Unless he can be replaced by someone better at a reasonable cost - Keep. The fact is that the defense played great last year and Barron was a part of that. Guys with the size and speed to cover TEs and RBs are a critical piece of NFL defenses these days.

**** I would even let McDonald hit pavement before letting Barron go. And I see the Steelers keeping both..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Barron didn't play up to what we paid him. If I extend him, I'd do it for less than what he was getting or the same pay with something easy to cut him. He really sucked the first quarter to third of the season. He played better as the season went on but still only an average ILB. I'm not sure if he has any upside left than what we saw later in the season.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Grant is a unknown. always best to not factor in a high degree of unknown.

Like it was said you can let Foster and Chick go those are dead weights. Then they can restructure from the top down until they achieve their desired availability.

If a player isn't on the field, or doesn't bring value I see cutting them. You don't build championship teams by depleting value. ..

I know Barron isn’t worth what we are paying him. I know Edmunds excelled in the box. I know Grant flashed a lot during preseason.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I know Barron isn’t worth what we are paying him. I know Edmunds excelled in the box. I know Grant flashed a lot during preseason.

preseason means squat. Edmunds plays a totally different position.they did not have the same defensive assignments.

I think he is worth what thet are paying him this is where I strongly disagree with a few posters.

he was in a new scheme so the beginning of the season didn't take a lot of stock in. He made some improvement as the season progressed which is what I do take stock in.

Andd as a poster said you don't have a equal to greater replacement.

Last edited:

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Barron is depth and needs to be paid accordingly. Bush will get more snaps and Williams is the starter.

but the cap is the problem....he may well be a cut to keep bud. i guess it all dependson the cba and how much the cap goes up

FordFairLane

Reaction score
preseason means squat. Edmunds plays a totally different position.they did not have the same defensive assignments.

I think he is worth what thet are paying him this is where I strongly disagree with a few posters.

he was in a new scheme so the beginning of the season didn't take a lot of stock in. He made some improvement as the season progressed which is what I do take stock in.

Andd as a poster said you don't have a equal to greater replacement.

Regular season proves Barron sucks. Different positions but same assignment. When Edmunds was tasked to play the run or cover the RB out of the backfield excelled. Where he fails is covering deep. He excelled in college at the rover position, and that’s the position we need him to play more of.

If we play Williams, Grant, and Edmunds correctly in our subpages we don’t need Barron.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Regular season proves Barron sucks. Different positions but same assignment. When Edmunds was tasked to play the run or cover the RB out of the backfield excelled. Where he fails is covering deep. He excelled in college at the rover position, and that’s the position we need him to play more of.

If we play Williams, Grant, and Edmunds correctly in our subpages we don’t need Barron.

no it didn't. but apparently your opinion spewed beyond reality.

And no not the same assignments. cover 1,2,3,4,dime,nickle.

If they lined up at the same spot I am sure it was minimal.

Film I saw showed improvement as the year progressed...

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd keep him but not at the expense of possibly losing a better player.

What better player would get cut?

The only ones mentioned was McDonald which Cope I think it was that showed the advantage there is minimal. and Foster and Chick which have strong arguments for being let go.