• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kelvin Benjamin- I hope we don't take him

ZACKB

Reaction score
Neither of those guys is really what the FO wants. They are looking, it seems, for Red Zone guy. I guess that I would take Benjamin if Tuitt and Nix are gone in rd 2, but I really feel we can get a tall wr in rd 3-4. What about Coleman...he is 6'6''?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
a WR who can't catch is not what we need.
we have a few of those as is.

ZACKB

Reaction score
I agree Superman, I'm not that high on Benjamin for a number of reason...his inconsistent hands being one of them. His acceleration is also kinda weak, and he can't get off the jam well. Supposedly he is kinda lazy too.

Personally I take Tuitt or Nix (who I am really starting to love) in rd 2. Best tall wr in rd's 3 or 4.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Pass, no pun intended, on Benjamin.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Honestly, If we traded down with Miami (extra third rounder) drafted Dennard/Gilbert/Fuller and then got Nix or Tuitt in rd 2 I would be so damn excited. In rd 3 it would allow us to possibly get a wr and Ellis(assuming Nix was not drafted). I'm still holding out hope we trade with San Fran. Benjamin would not be in the equation at all.

Wingman

Reaction score
If all the want is size in the red zone teach Adams to catch, he has been playing tight end. Hell the first time he does this he'll likely be wide open. He is likely fast enough to get to the goal line from the redzone. Trick plays may work well especially with Adams on the right with an unbalanced line think two right tackles all receivers to the other side. After that they will assign some one to cover him and another player could get open. If you can't dazzle them with Brilliance baffle em with bullshit.

I have to agree with the previous posters the wide outs might be the same skill set later than what will be available when we pick in round one. In fact this could be the year that at almost all positions the later spots rounds two and three offer pretty much the same thing that is available from 15 on back. Hopefully we will pick a player not based on how tall he is and end up with another player like Brown. It would be nice to find one with the production of Ward and his ability to hit people. Maybe what is needed is a second very good tightend. Two tight ends and three wides or two wides and a running back on the field that can catch. It might be very effective in the red zone.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
it'd be absolutely ******* nice to trade down with the 49ers and have those ***** take Benjamin at 15. Two birds, one stone.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Like I said Bandon Coleman is 6'6''. Just draft him in rd 4. Tall wr problem solved.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like we need an ILB more so than we need a tall WR right now.

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
I know a drop is a drop, but David Bryan over at Steelers Depot looked at all of his drops and said most of them were of the turning up-field before securing the ball type, and not the Sweed/DHB/Ike type drops.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
I think guys like Robinson and Abbrederis would be excellent redzone WRs. Robinson is 6025 while Abbrederis is 6010. Neither are true burners, but both have the ability to get open in the first 10 yards of a play. They both show good explosion out of their breaks and get great separation. Both have excellent hands. Both are excellent route runners. They do the things in short areas that translate well to the redzone.

In order for me to want a bigger WR for my redzone target, he has to get after the football in the air. He has to be strong at that. Not many in this draft are great at it.

That being said, KB is probably one of the best, if not the best, at grabbing the ball out of the air of any of the WR's coming out this year

ZACKB

Reaction score
I think ILB will be a committee approach opposite Timmons. I think Williams, Moats, Spence will all get their shot. Don't be surprised if Williams and Spense battle it out to start. Don't expect an ILB before round 5...if at all.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I just know we can't play Troy at ILB like we did last year. He was playing out of position. We need a second ILB we can start and keep on the field on passing downs. I don't think we are drafting anyone in round 1 this year that fits that bill. Maybe we go spend some money next off season UFA and grab a starting ILB to fill that hole like we did with Mitchell this year at S.

ZACKB

Reaction score
My guess is that if Spence and Williams cannot handle the job this year we will prob draft someone next year. ILB does not appear to be very high on the FO wishlist. We have so many other glaring needs.

I

Idioteque

Found an interesting article on this very topic. This article was written around midseason of last year and tracks all passes to that point from the 3-7 yard lines.

* Of throws that went to the sidelines in the end zone (mostly fades I'd say), 24.5% were completed. That's a pretty small number, and it illustrates just how difficult it is to throw and catch that type of pass. Ben's game-winner to Santonio is amazing because of the degree of difficulty of the throw and catch. The ball has to be lofted perfectly over the outstretched arms of an NFL DB, who will typically have about a 37" vertical. It has to travel at a trajectory that, once it gets past the DB, will wind up catchable WHILE the receiver stays in bounds. It's not simply a matter of "throw it high and the taller guy will catch it." If that were the case, there wouldn't be guys like Brandon Marshall who are great receivers and stand 6'4" but can't catch a short pass in the end zone to save their lives. And there wouldn't be turds like Sweed and James Hardy who are 6'5" but can't make a roster. I mean, if height is all you need, then how would any wideout who's 6'3" or taller ever go unemployed?

* In fact, taking the whole sideline thing out of the equation, we see that only 33.8% of all passes into the end zone were completed. The ****'s hard to do. On the other hands, 66.7% of all passes thrown short of the end zone were completed. This is how guys like Wes Welker and Victor Cruz get schemed into the end zone. Neither are big and neither are particularly physical; they create absolutely no size mismatches whatsoever on a secondary. Yet they tend to catch 8+ short TDs a year, because their offenses use their shiftiness and toughness. Not their height.

In other words, most of the time, your red zone success comes from throwing short and working into the end zone. Not throwing it up for a 6'5 guy to leap and catch it.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Bouchette said that Haley likes him...dammit....

LT Dan

Reaction score
like him in the second but not if DE Crichton is still there.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Benjamin has tremendous potential. I think he will be used almost like a F-TE in a 2 TE set. He's young and only had 1 year as a starter, so there's plenty of room to improve. He showed improvement at FSU.

dobre shunka

Reaction score
Not really scumbagging the guy. Just that those things are probably related, and in response to him being young and just scratching the surface. Just saying, I wouldn't stake my job on it if I were a coach/GM/scout. If it took that long to squeeze one good college year out of him, how's that next and much greater step gonna go? There's still a lot to like, but he's a total wildcard. No idea what you're gonna get in the pros. Quintessential boom/bust. Not sure this is the year to roll the dice on such a player. And he'd probably just eat them anyways. Ok, that was a little scumbaggery.