• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kelvin Benjamin- I hope we don't take him

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
What if Haley cut the playbook down so he could learn it in his rookie season? That could help....maybe something like:

Benjamin_zps3f84da53.png

Kidding...just kidding.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Carolina will prob take him in rd 1.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Can one imagine the magnitude of meltdown this board will experience if Benjamin's the pick?

If they do draft a player mid-1st with glaring holes in his game for the second consecutive year, Colbert and Tomlin will need to be drug tested ASAP.

kev4heels

Reaction score
Benjamin would be a fantastic redzone target.

Not to mention a tough cover on drag routes and crossers.

I'm fine with him in a trade down in the 1st.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Benjamin would be a fantastic redzone target.

Not to mention a tough cover on drag routes and crossers.

I'm fine with him in a trade down in the 1st.

All that is assuming he actually holds on to the ball and doesn't forget the play after leaving the huddle.

ZACKB

Reaction score
I'm not fine with it. He can't beat the jam, can't run routes, is slow...what else? If he wasn't tall he wouldn't get draft until round 6.

In Ben We Trust

Reaction score
Not sure why but I have the weirdest feeling that the Steelers are going to draft Benjamin at 1.15. If they do, I go postal and will need another new remote control.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I'm not fine with it. He can't beat the jam, can't run routes, is slow...what else? If he wasn't tall he wouldn't get draft until round 6.

Given his size and physicality, I'd be willing to ignore all of that IF his hands were considered a strength, but that's a question mark as well.

The fact that multiple writers that cover the team think there's a great chance they take him has me scared shitless.

Vader

Reaction score
There is no way Benjamin is taken at #15 by the Steelers. They can't be the stupid.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Now, although I am not hig on him I would maybe, maybe not explode if we took him in rd 2. I prefer that we don't. I heard Carolina may take him, or an OT, at the end of rd 1.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
There is no way Benjamin is taken at #15 by the Steelers. They can't be the stupid.

I felt the same way about Jones last year, but the predraft man crush speculation was validated.

Though not to the same extent, there's some of the same type of talk with Benjamin.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Take Beckham at 15. Hold on to him and see what Philly may offer. That way you can see what could be available as the countdown continues from 16 down to Philly's pick. If they want him bad enough as been reported, they may trade their 1'st and 2'nd for him and if you're CB like Fuller is still there, grab him in Philly's spot when you make the trade.The worst that can happen Philly doesn't bite and you still have Beckham. This way you by not trading your pick first, you don't have to sweat it out hoping Fuller will still be there.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
At 8-8 for two seasons we need someone that can play, this guys attitude is suspect, not fast. Does this help us??

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
If you assume Benjamin will stink and Beckham will be great then it's no decision at all. But what if you assume they are both good and you are choosing not between players, but between skill sets. What would each bring to the team?

benjamin potentially brings much more to the Steelers than Beckham because of his size. He is simply tougher to cover. That's why Mike Evans will go so high despite the fact he doesn't even run routes, he just shoves a DB and looks for the ball.

Plaxico was very effective despite not really being a great WR. He had his share of drops and wasn't a great route runner, but the simple fact that he was a matchup problem demanded double teams.

Joe Haden can cover Beckham. He may not be able to cover Benjamin without help.

Michael Irvin loves Benjamin. He worked out with him and some other WRs in the draft. He noted that he is raw but that just in the short time he worked with him, he saw improvement.

Benjamin would help the other WRs get easier coverages just like Plax did.

What package do you use to defend Benjamin? Maybe you play him like a TE in a 2 TE set close to the line and you run the ball if the defense goes nickel.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Benjamin is an astoundingly lazy player.

How so?

This is why I hate this elongated draft. People start just speculating about anything- especially character.

Rag on him for his drops, absolutely. But to call him 'lazy' for cxcl'ng 1 workout? Was there ever a knock about the kids character up to this point?

I

Idioteque

How so?

This is why I hate this elongated draft. People start just speculating about anything- especially character.

Rag on him for his drops, absolutely. But to call him 'lazy' for cxcl'ng 1 workout? Was there ever a knock about the kids character up to this point?

Why do you assume I'm speculating based on his skipped workout? Watch him play. He jogs through the routes in which he's a secondary target, even sometimes when he's open. Then consider that he's an absolute monster who towers over everyone in the game but didn't make an impact until last year.

Last edited:

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
From watching him play, sir. ******* A.

I'm assuming you are calling him lazy because you see plays where he's not running his hardest. Could that have something to do with FSU winning 12 of 14 games by at least 27 points? They won 5 games by 48 or more.

I think he plays harder than a guy like Hageman who disappears for long stretches.

I see Benjamin jogging sometimes but it looks like it's for 2 reasons. 1. He was a first year starter and did not always look like he knew exactly what he was supposed to do each play. 2. It was mostly blowouts for him and lots of guys jog through games like that.

Where you determine laziness is in the meeting room when you interview a guy. You find out about his character.

Not all Steeler picks pan out but they rarely draft guys who aren't workers, at least not with a 1st rounder. Tomlin loves high motor guys. If the Steelers did draft Benjamin, then it must means they like his character.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So you're saying there's a chance?

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
1. He was a first year starter and did not always look like he knew exactly what he was supposed to do each play.

With a Wonderlic of 7, that is a pretty safe assumption.

I think one thing you have to take into account as well, the Steelers like to draft underclassmen, usually (almost always) young players. Last year, Jones and Thomas were exceptions, but usually they like young guys. Benjamin just turned 23.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
With a Wonderlic of 7, that is a pretty safe assumption.

I think one thing you have to take into account as well, the Steelers like to draft underclassmen, usually (almost always) young players. Last year, Jones and Thomas were exceptions, but usually they like young guys. Benjamin just turned 23.

But starting last year, they began talking more about getting young guys to contribute quicker. Part of why their rookies have taken longer is because they are young and inexperienced.

Benjamin is inexperienced but he has a skill set where you can stick him out there immediately and give him a defined role.

Wallace played early as a one trick pony. That can be Benjamin. He just knows a different trick.

I

Idioteque

I'm assuming you are calling him lazy because you see plays where he's not running his hardest. Could that have something to do with FSU winning 12 of 14 games by at least 27 points? They won 5 games by 48 or more.

No. First quarters too. Big-time opponents too.

ZACKB

Reaction score
He is so raw, so, can't get off the jam at all, body catcher (for the most part). Completely overrated. If he wasn't 6'5" he would be a 6th rounder. I want no part of him in rds 1 or 2. Maybe you take a risk in rd 3 with him. Carolina will prob take him in rd 1, so no worries.

I am scared though that if all our guys are gone, and we can't trade down, that we will take him. That would mean that OBJ, Fuller, Dennard, and Gilbert are all gone. I doubt that happens. I would prob take Roby there ahead of Benjamin.

I

Idioteque

Benjamin is inexperienced but he has a skill set where you can stick him out there immediately and give him a defined role.

Wallace played early as a one trick pony. That can be Benjamin. He just knows a different trick.

If that were the case there would be no tall receivers without a job. Even Limas Sweed would still be kicking around somewhere. Look at the last few years. Brian Quick, Stephen Hill, Jon Baldwin, Aurrelious Benn were all early-round big wideouts who busted horribly; I wouldn't be surprised if all of them were out of the league by this time next year. Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Britt have fallen apart. Brandon LaFell is a nobody who may not make a roster this fall. Ramses Barden, Patrick Turner, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, James Hardy, and Sweed are nobodies. If all you needed was height, all of these guys would be contributors in some way.

You need more than height, and I don't see much more in Benjamin's game. He tends to loaf through intermediate routes. He's not an option in the short/screen game. And as TMC pointed out, we're talking about a guy who's 6'5" but just became a contributor last year. At 23.