• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kobe Bryant dead...

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Helicopter crash. He was known for taking his helicopters back and forth through California. Very sad as his youngest daughter was just born in June 2019 I think.

RIP

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
RIP Mamba.
13 year old daughter is gone too soon. Damn

Stewey

Reaction score
Along with his daughter, "another parent" killed if I heard correctly.

RIP

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
damn...devastating news. RIP to the one and only Kobe Bean Bryant, his daughter Gianna, and the others whom were on board.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
From what I understand it was him, his daughter, his daughter's friend and that girl's father. Sounds like the bird went inadvertent IMC. That is bad news. Very sad news all around.

43Hitman

Contributor
Reaction score
From what I understand it was him, his daughter, his daughter's friend and that girl's father. Sounds like the bird went inadvertent IMC. That is bad news. Very sad news all around.

They are saying now that there were 9 on board including the pilot. Just terrible news. Prayers out to all those involved.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
They are saying now that there were 9 on board including the pilot. Just terrible news. Prayers out to all those involved.

This is bad. So sad for the families, I cannot imagine what they re dealing with right now.

Reading what the weather was like, clouds and fog, I would bet my left nut the bird went inadvertent IMC. Happens a lot. Sometimes you make it out, sometimes, sadly, it ends like this.

Ask any helicopter pilot about it, and if they are honest, aside from crashing there isn't anything worse that could happen.

For those that don't know, IMC (instrument meteorological conditions) is a condition where pilots are required to fly primarily by reference to instruments under instrument flight rules (IFR) rather than visual flight rules (VFR). Inadvertent means is wasn't part of the flight plan, so you just have to react when it happens. From what I have read, when they turned out toward Calabasas, there were hills and mountains, and they ran into clouds and fog. When you get into clouds and fog, you have no reference to the ground or horizon, and it doesn't take much to develop spacial disorientation and end up in a world of ****. Often times, pilots will identify what is known as a "sucker hole" which is a hole in the clouds where you can see the ground for a few seconds, and they go for it. Sometimes, it closes and and then you are ******. I think some form of that probably happened here based on the weather reports when the bird went down.

43Hitman

Contributor
Reaction score
An unplanned IFR can be devastating, especially in those weather conditions. Add in the fact that a lot of helicopter pilots will tell you that all those things want to do is crash, and its a recipe for disaster. They teach you in sUAS(UAV's) school that you always have to be alert to changing conditions but man that's gotta be tough when you can't see anything. I feel so bad for all of those families.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
An animated short from last year that Kobe was involved in. If you haven't seen it, gives you a little glimpse into the man:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This animated short about <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Kobe?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Kobe</a> won an Oscar last year.<br><br>Watching it will give you chills.<br><br>"My mind can handle the grind but my body knows it's time to say goodbye.<br>And that's OK.<br>I'm ready to let you go."<br><br>RIP <a href="https://t.co/UffY9v3aLl">pic.twitter.com/UffY9v3aLl</a></p>— Benny (@bennyjohnson) <a href="https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1221545545426186240?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
This is bad. So sad for the families, I cannot imagine what they re dealing with right now.

Reading what the weather was like, clouds and fog, I would bet my left nut the bird went inadvertent IMC. Happens a lot. Sometimes you make it out, sometimes, sadly, it ends like this.

Ask any helicopter pilot about it, and if they are honest, aside from crashing there isn't anything worse that could happen.

For those that don't know, IMC (instrument meteorological conditions) is a condition where pilots are required to fly primarily by reference to instruments under instrument flight rules (IFR) rather than visual flight rules (VFR). Inadvertent means is wasn't part of the flight plan, so you just have to react when it happens. From what I have read, when they turned out toward Calabasas, there were hills and mountains, and they ran into clouds and fog. When you get into clouds and fog, you have no reference to the ground or horizon, and it doesn't take much to develop spacial disorientation and end up in a world of ****. Often times, pilots will identify what is known as a "sucker hole" which is a hole in the clouds where you can see the ground for a few seconds, and they go for it. Sometimes, it closes and and then you are ******. I think some form of that probably happened here based on the weather reports when the bird went down.

It was super cloudy and foggy yesterday. LAPD and LACSO both had their helicopters grounded in the morning due to the fog.

Here's a link to the audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0p...SH7MNPV1TyedzoI9vUQqEelBG3YdvzlfImrbgXfp4n0D4

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Very tragic. I feel for the families. From what I gather they should not have been flying in that weather.