• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kyle Trask, Ben's replacement?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
No way James Washington had a first-round grade. Heck, if you take Edmunds (questionable first-round talent) over a QB, there is no way they had a first-round grade.
I don't think so either but it is hard to tell what their board looked/looks like. We do know Steelers truly make up their own board. So you might be right but I have no idea what their listings looks like year to year. They often pick WRs higher than some think they are valued at. But usually aren't questioned due to their ability to identify talent.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
goddammit. now i'm firmly in the camp to take Trask in Round 1 just to see Cooch's head assplode.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Idiot, you play with the skill players that are invited and play in the Senior Bowl, which included one Tervon Grimes from the Gators who caught 9 TD passes last season from guess who? Suddenly your comment is horse piss. DUH. Not only did Trask fumble often, he lost them too often. Do you watch the games? Turnovers to me are not minor issues. Keep in mind they play less games in college, otherwise the number would be higher. What will happen when NFL people hit him?

Sometimes I think you pulling my leg as very few people could be that stupid.

he also had 43 passing touchdowns. using your logic of less games, that means he'd account for 57 passing touchdowns per season.
so is your logic sound, or is it just another hair pulled out of your ***?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
No way James Washington had a first-round grade. Heck, if you take Edmunds (questionable first-round talent) over a QB, there is no way they had a first-round grade.
point being they didn't really have a 1st round grade on Rudolph, they probably saw he could get to a 1st round QB level in the future with all the conditions correctly developed. But no one passes on twice on a 1st round graded QB

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
First off, I was as annoyed as anyone at Rudolph's performance year before last. He was dropping back and trying to throw the ball 3 yards into the teeth of the defense over and over and over again. It seemed he'd gotten scared and was trying to dump the ball off as quickly as he could. Admittedly as the season started, he was super accurate. He was connecting on a crazy percentage of his passes. Easy to understand when one considers he was literally throwing the ball less than 10 or 15 feet most of the time. But then defenses tightened up and Mason STILL tried to force those passes. It was maddening. And admittedly, I got frustrated.

Then last season came around. We had Ben back and at the very least we could look forward to the Steelers finally passing the ball more than 10 feet... er... Wait a minute. The Hall of Fame QB with one of the best completion rates in the history of the game is ALSO throwing for 3 yards pretty much exclusively? Hey... Wait a Minute! I'm starting to think this maaaaaaay have been a coordinator issue.

In short. I am back on the side of not really knowing WHAT we have in Mason.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Bottom line is they got him in the third so what ever grade they had is senseless, unless you are coach using it as an argument point. You & others have shown that point to be mute. It just doesn't make sense to have a first round grade and pass on him till the third. I even think BEN had hinted at retirement around that time.

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As I've said before, I doubt we take a QB in this draft. Unless Trey Lance falls to us, we don't make a QB selection.

the FO has Ben for one more year.
Mason is in a contract year.
Haskins is also a FA after this season.

They've got a year to see how Haskins does in the locker room. If he's matured and isn't a complete fuckup as a person, then they'll resign him after the season. And likely for cheap, since he most likely wont get a lot of playing time this season. If he remains a fuckup, they'll cut ties.

if Haskins is a fuckup, we'll resign Mason for a decent contract, with eyes on taking a QB in any upcoming draft.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As I've said before, I doubt we take a QB in this draft. Unless Trey Lance falls to us, we don't make a QB selection.

the FO has Ben for one more year.
Mason is in a contract year.
Haskins is also a FA after this season.

They've got a year to see how Haskins does in the locker room. If he's matured and isn't a complete fuckup as a person, then they'll resign him after the season. And likely for cheap, since he most likely wont get a lot of playing time this season. If he remains a fuckup, they'll cut ties.

if Haskins is a fuckup, we'll resign Mason for a decent contract, with eyes on taking a QB in any upcoming draft.

Well said and I may add that Haskins needs to find a work ethic as well.

If Canada lives up to his billing then we may see two different QBs, Rudolph and Haskins.

Salute the nation

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Our next franchise QB is in ... Diapers right now. they just don't fall off trees

Wait, Joe Biden is the teams next franchise QB??

Idiot, you play with the skill players that are invited and play in the Senior Bowl, which included one Tervon Grimes from the Gators who caught 9 TD passes last season from guess who? Suddenly your comment is horse piss. DUH. Not only did Trask fumble often, he lost them too often. Do you watch the games? Turnovers to me are not minor issues. Keep in mind they play less games in college, otherwise the number would be higher. What will happen when NFL people hit him?

Sometimes I think you pulling my leg as very few people could be that stupid.

Trask was injured for the Senior Bowl and did not play.

He had a terrible game vs. Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl. However, unlike almost all the other skill players on Florida, he PLAYED. Trevon Grimes, Kadarius Toney, and Kyle Pitts - Florida's top 3 receivers - all sat out. Pitts had 770 receiving yards, 12 TD's, Toney 984 yards, 10 TD's, Grimes 589 yards, 9 TD's. Those guys were literally the top 3 receivers on the team, and two of them are likely first-round picks. 2,343 yards and 31 TD's missing from the offense. Those three also combined for 361 yards and 3 TD's against Alabama 12 days before the Cotton Bowl. Amazing you were unaware of that.

Also, Florida was a pass-first, pass-second, pass-third team in 2020. The top RB on Florida had 503 yards. Oklahoma ran for more than 400 yards in the Cotton Bowl so it's not like the rest of the team was on fire for that game.

Trask sucked in the Cotton Bowl. But he PLAYED, and he threw for 408 yards, 3 TD's, no picks vs. Alabama, the national champions, twelve days earlier.

As to arm strength -not sure what you are watching. Trask has plus arm strength. No, his arm strength is not of the Elway/Roethlisberger caliber, but very, very few are. Trask's arm strength is superior to that of Mac Jones from what I have seen.

iu

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers had a first round grade on Rudy. Let that sink in a moment. IMO Trask is better off in a warm weathered or dome stadium. I prefer Mac Jones over Trask big time.
I'm not sold on Mac Jones. It's easy to look that good when all of your skill players are flat out better than anyone they are playing against. I would have liked to see him be challenged in order to see how he would respond, but sadly, that never happened. Not sure I would spend a high pick on Mac Jones.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So here are the things to key on with trask

1. he is a true pocket qb... he has plenty of pocket awareness and move well inside the pocket to avoid pressure, but he isnt a guy who is going to scramble for first down or bootleg or anything that true mobile qbs do... thats fine for an offense built for it... ypu just cant run an arians type thing with him with no oline or expect him to be mahomes or Wilson....

2 his arm is better coming out than brady or brees... and he has the frame to build it up... arm strength critiques of him are typically cause he throws finesse passes a lot instead of gripping and ripping ... that doesn’t tell the whole story....

3... this guy has only started for two seasons and got a late jump into the qb role in general... he is extremely raw experience wise and might need a year or two to season himself for the pros

4. People don’t understand how the draft varies year to year... graded metrics are one part of the story, but not everything
first of all supply and demand can affect things, no two drafts are the same... secondly system or team talent issues can muddle grades, thirdly character issues can
Drop players and fourthly evolving strategies change positional values routinely...

This guy would be a low to mid first rounder most years... he is buried by the glut of top qbs coming out... he is a solid grab late in the first, but he probably won’t be there... if he does fall it makes a lot of sense to get him and trade whomever doesn’t get the backup role... this isnt a position to ever overlook.....

xjx

Reaction score
And we end the season with no QBs under contract. So then what, we overpay Rudolph ( because we likely won't play him much). Hard to put a value on a guy like that.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Did anyone check Lawrence’s fumble stats this year? Maybe he should be a second or third round pick because of that.. quick someone measure his head and compare his 40 speed to a rb... screw accuracy and decision making... we need those important breakdowns on these guys lol 😂

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
And we end the season with no QBs under contract. So then what, we overpay Rudolph ( because we likely won't play him much). Hard to put a value on a guy like that.
if he doesn't play much his value stays low. If he plays a lot he could skyrocket to a Foles kind of QB

maowv

Contributor
Reaction score
I watched 3 Florida games this past season and based upon that limited sample size, I hope the Steelers DO NOT draft Kyle Trask.

He may be a Ben clone in size, almost identical to Ben's size in the draft but to my eyes, that's where the comparisons end. Trask isn't mobile like young Ben was and he doesn't have the arm that young Ben had. He seems accurate but his passes in college had no zip on them. Any pass 25+ yards down field had a lot of air under them and velocity was underwhelming.

There have been QB with average arms do well in the NFL. Kosar back in the day had a noodle arm but was accurate. Phillip Rivers didn't have a great arm, neither did Drew Brees. But I just don't see Trask as being a 1st round pick with that arm. Size, sure. But he is a stationary QB at a young age. That's not going to age very well.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I watched 3 Florida games this past season and based upon that limited sample size, I hope the Steelers DO NOT draft Kyle Trask.

He may be a Ben clone in size, almost identical to Ben's size in the draft but to my eyes, that's where the comparisons end. Trask isn't mobile like young Ben was and he doesn't have the arm that young Ben had. He seems accurate but his passes in college had no zip on them. Any pass 25+ yards down field had a lot of air under them and velocity was underwhelming.

There have been QB with average arms do well in the NFL. Kosar back in the day had a noodle arm but was accurate. Phillip Rivers didn't have a great arm, neither did Drew Brees. But I just don't see Trask as being a 1st round pick with that arm. Size, sure. But he is a stationary QB at a young age. That's not going to age very well.
Lot of passing yards to have questionable arm strength. He has the frame to develop more zip on the ball too. He doesn't have to be a Ben type scrambler to have a long career he just needs to be able to scramble in that pocket feel pressure and deliver. He has to be able to maneuver better than Big Ben of now. I am more concerned with his pocket awareness, feel for the pass rush. But I like the prospect overall.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Unless someone fantastic falls we definitely should trade down to the bottom of the first or very top of the second and honestly if Trask is there we should at least consider it ... with the draft capital trading down gets us you can move up to two picks in the second round or third round and still get the olinemen and rb we need

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Unless someone fantastic falls we definitely should trade down to the bottom of the first or very top of the second and honestly if Trask is there we should at least consider it ... with the draft capital trading down gets us you can move up to two picks in the second round or third round and still get the olinemen and rb we need
I just don’t think they’ll trade out of the first and lose the fifth-year option from their top pick.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They won't trade back. If anything, they are moving up in either the 1st or 2nd round. They have enough picks this year and don't really need another 3rd or 4th round pick. They need to use their first 2 picks and absolutely nail starters that will start or contribute significantly this year.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure with a mass free agent exodus I want to be giving up picks. Now for a QB I would make an exception.