• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Late Round Sleepers

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
What players do you like late? Here's a guy who could be a great late rounder as a RB and Special teamer.

Jake Funk RB Maryland 5'10 205. ran 4.43 at pro day with 22 reps on the bench and 38 vert. He came back from 2 ACL tears so he's tough, but that's also why he'll be available late

I like that he's always looking to go North South ASAP instead of stringing things out. He sets up blocks then explodes through the hole.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I definitely like Funk. He’s either a late pick or priority UDFA. I think he’s a guy like Mewelde Moore where he can do a little of everything and doesn’t complain. Could develop into more but if you get a guy that contributes that late you can’t be upset.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I definitely like Funk. He’s either a late pick or priority UDFA. I think he’s a guy like Mewelde Moore where he can do a little of everything and doesn’t complain. Could develop into more but if you get a guy that contributes that late you can’t be upset.
I was thinking a poor man's McCaffrey at least my initial thoughts. Quick feet. That injury history as mentioned will see him slide too. Interesting prospect.

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You're right that his injury history makes him LATE rnd but mostly UDFA. I'd take a flyer out on him with that in mind.

Salute the nation

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Brady White has great pocket awareness. He doesn't have a great arm but he's accurate and smart. He's a PHD candidate. Memphis OL was awful so he was under lots of pressure. He could be a great fit in Canada's scheme. Could be available Rd 6 or even UDFA

Steelmann

Reaction score
If the OT situation does not fall our way early
D’Ante Smith East Carolina. 6th -7th round would be nice. Any thoughts?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

FordFairLane

Reaction score
QB- KJ Costello
Dude is just a gun slinger. Gets to his 3rd/4th reads often. NFL arm. Moves well enough in the pocket. His one glaring mistake is his inability to give up on a play. Sometimes you gotta throw it away or even eat it and take a sack. It’s just not in his mentality. But if you can coach that out of him you get a steal. Most have him as an UDFA I honestly feel he’s a solid 3rd.

RB- Elijah Mitchell
I actually started watching Mitchell after we drafted Dotson last year. As I’m trying to gauge my feelings on Dotson this RB kept getting my attention. He’s not the biggest but isn’t afraid to run it inside. Has nimble feet but doesn’t dance in the hole. He makes enough of a move to make a guy miss but is always headed north or south. Good hands being able to snag some poorly thrown balls out of the air. Reminds me a ton of Aaron Jones who I had ranked way above everyone else.

WR- Simi Fehoko
A guy I feel was poised for a breakout season if not for covid. Big play guy with huge mitts and is big bodied. His speed, hands, and ability to track and adjust to the ball in the air are all elite. His route tree is primarily go routes with a sprinkling of crossing or hook. Definitely going to need to learn the nuances of the position but if he can watch out. Reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald a little.

TE- Tony Poljan
Couple late round guys I’m interested in but at the end of the day Poljan has the size to block and be a nice red zone threat, smarts to learn the offense, and enough athleticism to potentially develop into a starter.

OT- Alaric Jackson
I just love his technique and hands. I just feel with those traits you find a home in the NFL. He could use more functional strength but when he locks on usually it’s game over for the defensive end. I feel he has a way higher floor than most give him credit for. Probably RT but IMO worst case scenario you kick him inside to guard and have a ten year starter.

OG- David Moore
Shorter prospect but has long arms and his strong. Reminds me of Dotson is that effect. Moves good enough but his best plays are when you tell him to move the guy in front of him.

OC- Drew Dalman
Not an impressive athlete in terms of size or strength but he has a great understanding of blocking schemes and his awareness is superb. Also, his best trait is getting a hat on his guy in the second level and taking him out of the play. Wouldn’t want to consistently put him one-on-one with a nose tackle but you aren’t going to get everything with a guy that’s likely an UDFA.

Edge- Elerson Smith
Physical freak of nature who dominated his conference. Has all the tools just needs a lot of coaching as right now he just consistently wins with athleticism. Needs to get stronger at the point as of right now he’s rarely asked to seal the edge.

DT- Isaiahh Loudermilk
Big bodied defensive lineman who has a knack for using his 6-7 frame to bat down balls. Pretty agile for a big guy but could use some more sand in his pants to hold the point. Again not going to get everything with a late round or UDFA prospect.

LB- Derrick Barnes
A guy who went back and forth from hands in the dirt to standing up. Versatile player with A+ athleticism.

CB- Marco Wilson
Smooth athlete with decent size and a above average tackler. Doesn’t jam or use his hands well and needs to be coached up. But a couple of nuances of the game learned and you got yourself a starter.

S- Jacoby Stevens
Physically a gifted athlete who might be best suited for ILB. But he’s the kind of guy you want to get into camp and find a place for him.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
For Football perhaps, but not BBQ.
only if it stays in memphis

a memphis BBQ joint opened up close to me and I tried it and it sucked ***. Supposedly the original one in memphis is good, but the one here is terrible

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
only if it stays in memphis

a memphis BBQ joint opened up close to me and I tried it and it sucked ***. Supposedly the original one in memphis is good, but the one here is terrible
Sry...off topic but...we just got a Buc ee's in my town. They say it's real Texas BBQ. Can you concur?

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Sry...off topic but...we just got a Buc ee's in my town. They say it's real Texas BBQ. Can you concur?
in Texas their BBQ is okay if you are driving and need a easy meal, grab BBQ sandwich and some Beaver Nuggets. But it is not top quality Texas BBQ, but for gas station/market it is fine, you don't need to worry about it getting you sick. They do have real good breakfast tacos/burritos. Plus they always have clean restrooms.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
back to the topic at hand....

Grant Stuard, could pull spot duty at LB and should turn into a special teams beast

editied to add his Player bio from the NFL site
Stuard was a two-time first-team All-District selection at Oak Ridge High School in Conroe, Texas. He saw action in seven games as a true freshman, missing time due to a torn meniscus. Stuard led the Cougars with 11 special teams tackles in 2018, making 30 stops overall (2.5 for loss) in 13 games (one start). He also stepped in at running back late in the year due to injuries at that position (five carries, 35 yards, 7.0 yards per carry). He garnered second-team All-AAC honors as a junior, his first year as a full-time starter. He led the team with 97 tackles, 9.5 for loss, and broke up four passes in 12 starts. Stuard was voted a first-team All-American Athletic Conference selection in 2020 with a team-high 61 tackles (five for loss) in just seven starts (he decided to sit out of the team's bowl game). He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter

full draft analysis

Last edited:

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
unbelievable to just shamelessly pimp guys from your favorite team..

Lamont Wade. Physical, in the box player like Mike Hilton and he's a special teamer with return skills

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
If the Steelers don't draft a QB early, I think Sam Ehlinger from Texas would be worth a late pick. He's big, strong, tough, and mobile. Great upside if he can develop his accuracy and reads.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I went to a Hard 8 BBQ while in DFW- Wholly Crap that was like going to Disney Land! Go right up to the grill, tell the pitmaster what you want and they pull it off and weigh it- I was eating right off the grill.

I love NC BBQ- but they do not do that!

Decker-Hard-8-pit.jpg

img_1594-copy.jpg

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers probably have a good read on Funk the MD RB- They have been dipping into that well recently.

The Miss State QB sounds like Ben- 6'5 and refuses to give up on play.....

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
QB- KJ Costello
Dude is just a gun slinger. Gets to his 3rd/4th reads often. NFL arm. Moves well enough in the pocket. His one glaring mistake is his inability to give up on a play. Sometimes you gotta throw it away or even eat it and take a sack. It’s just not in his mentality. But if you can coach that out of him you get a steal. Most have him as an UDFA I honestly feel he’s a solid 3rd.

RB- Elijah Mitchell
I actually started watching Mitchell after we drafted Dotson last year. As I’m trying to gauge my feelings on Dotson this RB kept getting my attention. He’s not the biggest but isn’t afraid to run it inside. Has nimble feet but doesn’t dance in the hole. He makes enough of a move to make a guy miss but is always headed north or south. Good hands being able to snag some poorly thrown balls out of the air. Reminds me a ton of Aaron Jones who I had ranked way above everyone else.

WR- Simi Fehoko
A guy I feel was poised for a breakout season if not for covid. Big play guy with huge mitts and is big bodied. His speed, hands, and ability to track and adjust to the ball in the air are all elite. His route tree is primarily go routes with a sprinkling of crossing or hook. Definitely going to need to learn the nuances of the position but if he can watch out. Reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald a little.

TE- Tony Poljan
Couple late round guys I’m interested in but at the end of the day Poljan has the size to block and be a nice red zone threat, smarts to learn the offense, and enough athleticism to potentially develop into a starter.

OT- Alaric Jackson
I just love his technique and hands. I just feel with those traits you find a home in the NFL. He could use more functional strength but when he locks on usually it’s game over for the defensive end. I feel he has a way higher floor than most give him credit for. Probably RT but IMO worst case scenario you kick him inside to guard and have a ten year starter.

OG- David Moore
Shorter prospect but has long arms and his strong. Reminds me of Dotson is that effect. Moves good enough but his best plays are when you tell him to move the guy in front of him.

OC- Drew Dalman
Not an impressive athlete in terms of size or strength but he has a great understanding of blocking schemes and his awareness is superb. Also, his best trait is getting a hat on his guy in the second level and taking him out of the play. Wouldn’t want to consistently put him one-on-one with a nose tackle but you aren’t going to get everything with a guy that’s likely an UDFA.

Edge- Elerson Smith
Physical freak of nature who dominated his conference. Has all the tools just needs a lot of coaching as right now he just consistently wins with athleticism. Needs to get stronger at the point as of right now he’s rarely asked to seal the edge.

DT- Isaiahh Loudermilk
Big bodied defensive lineman who has a knack for using his 6-7 frame to bat down balls. Pretty agile for a big guy but could use some more sand in his pants to hold the point. Again not going to get everything with a late round or UDFA prospect.

LB- Derrick Barnes
A guy who went back and forth from hands in the dirt to standing up. Versatile player with A+ athleticism.

CB- Marco Wilson
Smooth athlete with decent size and a above average tackler. Doesn’t jam or use his hands well and needs to be coached up. But a couple of nuances of the game learned and you got yourself a starter.

S- Jacoby Stevens
Physically a gifted athlete who might be best suited for ILB. But he’s the kind of guy you want to get into camp and find a place for him.
Some good prospects here, I like dalman, fehoko, moore, Mitchell... Stanford has has some good guys coming out I like the LT little and qb mills but dalman fehoko could be great values. Mills would be great pick in 3rd but qb craziness will drive up his value. Great work as usual Ford!

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Some good prospects here, I like dalman, fehoko, moore, Mitchell... Stanford has has some good guys coming out I like the LT little and qb mills but dalman fehoko could be great values. Mills would be great pick in 3rd but qb craziness will drive up his value. Great work as usual Ford!
Lots of good late round prospects. It’s always fun to see which ones excel.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
is it me or this one looks like a very deep draft in talent?
I think so at certain positions definitely. More top heavy at QB and RB.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Shemar Jean-Charles, CB Appalachian State
5'10", 185 lbs. Will be overlooked because not a big guy, but quick, fast. 4.47 40, Good footwork, excellent mirroring receivers, does not grab receivers, 19 passes defensed in 2 seasons.

Paulson Adebo, CB Stanford
6'1", 198 lbs., 4.42 40, 6.70 3-cone. 34 passed defended and 8 interceptions 2018-2019. Opted out of 2020. Might not qualify as a "late round" selection since he could very well go in round 3.

Jacoby Stevens, S LSU
6'1", 212 lbs., 4.50 40, 40" vertical. 155 tackles, 8 sacks, 11 passes defensed past two seasons. Ideal zone safety, two-deep guy. Sure tackler, excellent in run support. Big enough and strong enough to take on TE's in dime defense.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Shemar Jean-Charles, CB Appalachian State
5'10", 185 lbs. Will be overlooked because not a big guy, but quick, fast. 4.47 40, Good footwork, excellent mirroring receivers, does not grab receivers, 19 passes defensed in 2 seasons.

Paulson Adebo, CB Stanford
6'1", 198 lbs., 4.42 40, 6.70 3-cone. 34 passed defended and 8 interceptions 2018-2019. Opted out of 2020. Might not qualify as a "late round" selection since he could very well go in round 3.

Jacoby Stevens, S LSU
6'1", 212 lbs., 4.50 40, 40" vertical. 155 tackles, 8 sacks, 11 passes defensed past two seasons. Ideal zone safety, two-deep guy. Sure tackler, excellent in run support. Big enough and strong enough to take on TE's in dime defense.
Adebo might go in round 2