• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Leaving Vbulletin

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
The time may be here for us to leave Vbulletin behind and make a switch. I've been debating on this for awhile, but there are so many broken things on this forum and the software is very outdated.

We're currently running vB4 which stopped receiving updates a long time ago. vB 5 is their current platform but it's received many mixed reviews. Dave actually bought the software and upgraded and everyone hated it. So he went back to 4 many moons ago. Since then they have updated it some but most are sour on it still.

Many of the techs that developed vB4 got pissed and left vB and started their own forums at Xenforo. Anymore this is the only forum I visit so I'm not a user on any of those forums but they seem like a very good and up and coming company.

I'm not sure if anyone on here has any feedback about them, or even a possible switch. Something that would hopefully go along with the switch would be the end of this domain and server. We'd just migrate everything over to SteelerNation.com.

Oh, and yes all users would transfer over along with posts as far as I know. So that would be extremely nice too.

I'll give you more information if something becomes definite, but that's where I'm at right this second.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the update.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
My only feedback or question is will a potential switch mean we could just copy and paste a link to a Tweet to get it to display?

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
New board, new rules .... Maybe a monthly post cap for non-paying, know it all members? ;)

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Pack your ****, time to move to another server...

pc_beer_dispenser_1.jpg

:peaceful:

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
My only feedback or question is will a potential switch mean we could just copy and paste a link to a Tweet to get it to display?

Truthfully I'm not positive, but I would imagine this is something that would happen there. Figure were operating on software that was developed with facebook being the only social media of concern.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
To my knowledge, Vbulletin is the highest rated forum application but also heard Discourse.

What is the reason behind the switch? Pricing, Features, Functionality?

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
To my knowledge, Vbulletin is the highest rated forum application but also heard Discourse.

What is the reason behind the switch? Pricing, Features, Functionality?

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

All of it. This forum was developed in 2005. Hasn't been updated since 2011. We paid for the software and that's the only fee.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
GOOD. LUCK in the endeavor as this place is awesome place. How ever you guys handle it it will be right and very good. Thanks for all the hard work in both keeping and operating this site.

YOU GUYS / GALS rock !!!!

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
End of an era.. VB was tge greatest once... but yeah she is a bit dated... hang up a pic of it next to tge 70’s steelers and lets move on to the next era

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
will there be boobs?

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Can we move and not tell some of these asshats here.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score