• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Lets get ready to moooooooooooock

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
good point. though i'd believe that he could get into NFL game shape. of course he'll have that rookie season where he gets slammed and figures it out. but its not like the guy is a fat slob with lazy work ethic. He's proven to be damn good at setting and reaching goals, per his bio.

as well, who would his main comp be - Montravious Adams. With Heyward getting long in the tooth, we really need to look at our DL.
If we could get Alualu back (assuming he is fully healthy), they could rotate at NT. Alualu was doing a great job last year and this year at NT. Adams could possibly be their backup. The kid is a beast if you can wait for him to get past that first year.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Agree with TDX27 about Davis. Massive guy, absolutely stuffs two offensive linemen, ruins play ...

And runs to sideline to catch his breath. Seems like he gets winded putting on the oxygen mask.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My draft (which will change 100 times before April depending on who enters early, who is injured, who is great during the bowl games and competition games, who sucks, which 6'3" guy turns out to be 6'1", which 320 lb. guy turns out to be 295 lbs., etc.):

15. Devin Lloyd ILB Utah. He wears #95. Amazing quickness for his size. Reminds me a lot of Parsons. A huge upgrade over the current ILBer corps.
47. Daniel Faalele OT Minnesota. Dude is beyond massive. Immediate starter at RT. But want to see how much he weighs at combine. 365-380 lbs.? Steeler. 410 lbs.? Pass. Backup pick - Jeez, OL must be improved. Zion Johnson? Ehh, not a huge fan. He is more a 3rd-round guy.
79. Derrick Hall Edge Auburn. Good size for pass rusher, elite pass rushing moves, productivity in college, dominated Alabama OL.

"Whaaaat, two defensive players?" Yes, because adding a genuine pass rushing freak opposite Watt and having Lloyd dominate the middle, against both run and pass, covers up a lot of warts on this team. The secondary play has been iffy in large part because the ILBing and pass rushing apart from Watt have been below-standard, inside linebacking awful forcing team to bring a S in to stop running game, thereby forcing the team to single-cover with CB's not up to the challenge yet. Give Witherspoon more time on the defense, protect him with Lloyd and Hall, add Faalele to the OL and run right, run right, run right, run right, pass to TE, run right, run right, pass to DJ.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm seeing Davis mocked in the 1st round so if we want him, that's when we will have to draft him. I don't think his combine numbers will matter in the least. It's all about the tape for him.

Big Ben Rules

Reaction score
This should fix the OLine

pfn-logo-black

• PIT

Evan Neal
    OT Alabama

• PIT

Sean Rhyan
    OT UCLA

• PIT

Alec Lindstrom
    OC Boston College

• PIT

Jalyn Armour-Davis
    CB Alabama

• PIT

Ifeanyi Maijeh
    DT Rutgers

• PIT

Xavier Henderson
    S Michigan State

• PIT

Josh DeBerry
    CB Boston College

• PIT

Jayden Reed
    WR Michigan State

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
2009 wasn't too bad. Hood was a poor scheme fit, but their first four picks plus A.Q. Shipley had solid careers.

I'd probably say 2008 is the worst followed by 2016. Hargrave was a terrific pick. The rest of that draft was backup level players. 2018 is pretty bad too in terms of quality.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
if we lose this week (heaven forbid) then I'm rooting hard for a loss to the raven as well... that should get us a top 15 pick... if we dont see a supurb franchise player there we can trade down for a glut of picks and really patch things up.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Our worst draft under Tomlin imo is a tossup between 2008 and 2009.

2008 was maybe the worse overall draft in the past 20 years for alot of teams.... KC did well IIRC... Maybe arizona... we had a bunch of mediocre trash

draft classes arent equal. a third round talent some years would be a first in others... likewise in shallow years a first rounder might have gone in the mid rounds most other years... 2008 was a load of total bums

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
A top 15 pick would go a long way to help our DL and OL. Our first 3 picks should include 1 OL and 2 DL. They have neglected the DL longer than the OL. The last high DL pick was Tuitt in the 2nd round back in 2014. Improve the DL and Schobert (assuming they keep him) and Bush will instantly look better.

Stewey

Reaction score
2008 was maybe the worse overall draft in the past 20 years for alot of teams.... KC did well IIRC... Maybe arizona... we had a bunch of mediocre trash

draft classes arent equal. a third round talent some years would be a first in others... likewise in shallow years a first rounder might have gone in the mid rounds most other years... 2008 was a load of total bums

And in 2008 the stock market crashed but at least that recovered. lol

Pollardo40

Reaction score
I just did a simulator on “NFL Mock Draft Database.” This May be a dream draft for me. We obviously need other positions, but we aren’t set at many positions on the field. Only 3 rounds as my knowledge of collegiate ball isn’t as deep as many.

15. Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah
47. David Bell, WR, Purdue
79. Zion Nelson, OT, Miami

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I just did a simulator on “NFL Mock Draft Database.” This May be a dream draft for me. We obviously need other positions, but we aren’t set at many positions on the field. Only 3 rounds as my knowledge of collegiate ball isn’t as deep as many.

15. Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah
47. David Bell, WR, Purdue
79. Zion Nelson, OT, Miami
A WR in the 2nd and this place might crash down

Pollardo40

Reaction score
A WR in the 2nd and this place might crash down

I’d let it crash. But I’m not on the QB train either…. Diontae, Claypool, white, those are our 3 under contract next year. We have holes everywhere, but that’s not a comfortable WR room by any stretch.

It’s not the popular pick, but I wouldn’t be upset by David Bell one bit. But that also may be because Id like to see a kid I watched in high school locally play for my favorite team lol.

Only 2 almost sure shots in a Steelers draft - WR & LB are somewhere in it.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I trade every draft pick we have for 4 years to GB and get Rogers. he is only 38
Uh... So a year or two younger than Roethlisberger. Cause you LIKE watching guys fall off cliffs.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I’d let it crash. But I’m not on the QB train either…. Diontae, Claypool, white, those are our 3 under contract next year. We have holes everywhere, but that’s not a comfortable WR room by any stretch.

It’s not the popular pick, but I wouldn’t be upset by David Bell one bit. But that also may be because Id like to see a kid I watched in high school locally play for my favorite team lol.

Only 2 almost sure shots in a Steelers draft - WR & LB are somewhere in it.
So you wanna draft ANOTHER receiver and get a garbage offensive lineman to back up our current garbage offensive linemen?
Then, I suppose you'll wonder why they can't run or protect the QB long enough to throw anything longer than 4 yards...

Pollardo40

Reaction score
So you wanna draft ANOTHER receiver and get a garbage offensive lineman to back up our current garbage offensive linemen?
Then, I suppose you'll wonder why they can't run or protect the QB long enough to throw anything longer than 4 yards...

Garbage offensive lineman?.. interesting.

But yes, I’m completely ok with it. I’m not one to buy into forcing a pick if it isn’t there. Fill what we can in free agency and draft BPA.

Yes, we need OL. But Artie burns came because the pick was position based. But I can almost guarantee you that if the organization expects Tuitt & Alualu back next year, DL will not be an early priority like some see.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Garbage offensive lineman?.. interesting.

But yes, I’m completely ok with it. I’m not one to buy into forcing a pick if it isn’t there. Fill what we can in free agency and draft BPA.

Yes, we need OL. But Artie burns came because the pick was position based. But I can almost guarantee you that if the organization expects Tuitt & Alualu back next year, DL will not be an early priority like some see.
It should be a priority they see as Alualu is up there in age and missed a significant amount of time and Tuitt has two sets of problems and missed a significant amount of time. They should not be sold on them coming back without possible drop offs in play. And more than likely adequate replacements aren't on the roster. They should treat them as damaged goods and attack the DL accordingly along with attacking RG/RT and C either in free agency or the draft. Of course you go BPA. But the clubs approach is usually BPA at need positions. So if the value is there unless FA brings adequate replacements they should be glue into the two weakest areas of the team easily.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Gonna mix things up.

Round 1- Trevor Penning OT Northern Iowa
Massive man, nimble feet, nasty demeanor. Kick Moore to guard and solidify the left side.

Rounds 2- Josh Jobe CB Alabama
Productive CB that is an A+ athlete. Not sure Haden comes back. I think they should at least let him test free agency unless he’s coming back for a lot less than 9 million.

Round 3- Jarrett Patterson OL Notre Dame
Position flexible interior lineman. Would give both Green and Dotson competition and if he didn’t beat one out be a helluva depth guy.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Uh... So a year or two younger than Roethlisberger. Cause you LIKE watching guys fall off cliffs.
Lol in all honesty I wouldn't even trade next years 1st for him.. not behind this offense line.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I would not be opposed to drafting a WR early (2nd or 3rd). I'm not sold on our WR group. Remember we will have a lot of cap space and can get a couple good OL or DL that way.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I would not be opposed to drafting a WR early (2nd or 3rd). I'm not sold on our WR group. Remember we will have a lot of cap space and can get a couple good OL or DL that way.
A couple? They need a RT,RG,C,DE and a NT. Pick up a mid tier CB, WR, and SS in free agency to go along with whatever big bodies are brought in. I would say RT and NT are two priority signings. What is problematic is they arguably had less holes last year and still failed to shore up DE and LT and C. The decision making needs to be a lot better this off-season.