• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Let's Go PENS!

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Tied 2-2, big game here. Could be our playoff foe in a week. Let's go boys.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yiiipppeeeee Just scored 3-2 pitt

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
power play to the PENs little over 4mins left

Salute the nation

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Giving up late goals has been a killer all year. Oh well, the Pens had nothing to play for and Detroit had everything to.....nice SO goal for Jussi.....again!

Nice to see them getting healthy....good timing. And hopefully the Real Deal is gonna start getting hot....also good timing.

I'm liking what I see from Payrell (sp?).

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You are right Rod, hope they are starting to heat up. Detroit had everything on the line, yet, the PENS pull it out. All the way this year!!!!!!

Salute the nation

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like the Pens chances in the first round, much less for the Cup.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like the Pens chances in the first round, much less for the Cup.

Hi Sarge, would you care to elaborate on this? Like any championship, they will have to pick up their game. I see them progressing a ways, but like they say, thats why we play the game. Who would be their first round opponent?

Salute the nation

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I can and will elaborate. This team is undisciplined and sloppy. I have never seen a team so terrible at puck possession. It is almost comic. There is no secondary scoring beyond Crosby and whoever he plays with. Orpik and Scuderi are HUGE defensive liabilities. Letang is hit or miss. Dumb penalties at crucial times, and giving away leads with sloppy undisciplined play. IF it was a game or two, ok, it happens. Since the Olympic break, this team has been pedestrian at best. They don't look hungry, they get outplayed for long stretches every game, and with that much talent, they should be better than they are. At least play like you want it. To top it all off, just too many damn injuries, although I am not sure that matters all that much. This team isn't as good as last years version, and we saw what happened there.

On the plus side, Martin is back, and I think Niskanen and Maata are really growing as defenders. The two best we have in my opinion. Also on the plus is Fleury. The guy robbed the Wings several times last night, and has robbed many teams many times to win games or keep the Pens in games.

The reason I don't like their chances in the first round beyond the reasons I listed above, is that the Wings and Jackets have been playing playoff hockey for a couple weeks. The Pens are playing as if they can just flip a switch next week and go on some magical run. Whether the Pens win in the first round really doesn't matter. Nobody in the East is beating in Boston in a seven game series. Hell, maybe nobody in the NHL. That team is playing hockey about as good as an NHL team can.

Vader

Reaction score
I agree with Sarge. I don't see them getting past the 2nd round. Even if they do Boston will rip them a new one. They don't match up well at all against Boston. I'd be shocked if the Pens scored 6 goals the entire series. Just like last year where they averaged scoring .5 goals per game and got shut out twice in 4 games. This team isn't as good and they will struggle in the playoffs.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I thank the both of you for the insight. I live a long ways away and don't get much for TV hockey and if so, hardly ever the penguins. Last night I got to watch about 2/3 of the third period. I did see some of the stuff you are talking about. Last year was a miserable play off and I hope its not a repeat performance. I'm always the opportunist :) Once again thanks

Salute the nation

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I want this team to be better than they are. Something is wrong. Maybe trying to avoid injury heading into the playoffs. I don't know. But they are not playing good hockey at all. Yeah, they win some, and they won last night. But they gave away a third period lead after a lazy, sloppy, effortless powerplay where a goal would have sealed it. They looked like they were coasting. They ended up winning on a fluke "goal" where the goalie's poke check backfired. They are not going into the playoffs on a roll, playing good hockey.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
I thank the both of you for the insight. I live a long ways away and don't get much for TV hockey and if so, hardly ever the penguins. Last night I got to watch about 2/3 of the third period. I did see some of the stuff you are talking about. Last year was a miserable play off and I hope its not a repeat performance. I'm always the opportunist :) Once again thanks

Salute the nation

I watch every game, and Sarge is spot on. This team is not playing like a contender. I'm hoping that they were saving an additional gear for the playoffs. But I have my doubts. I hope I am wrong.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
One of my best friends', is a detroit red wings fan. He was glad they made the playoffs, but did reiterate similar thought, towards the Pens. I hope they prove us all wrong, like switching into this "higher" gear mentioned. Regardless, I root for em all the way.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
One of my best friends', is a detroit red wings fan. He was glad they made the playoffs, but did reiterate similar thought, towards the Pens. I hope they prove us all wrong, like switching into this "higher" gear mentioned. Regardless, I root for em all the way.

Salute the nation

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I don't see any heart or grit with this team.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
I don't see any heart or grit with this team.

There it is. If you guys recall from the old board I've said since late November this team will be one and done in the PO's. My comments above regarding the Detroit game, Payrell and Neal and getting healthy are all good news but it won't be enough. In addition to everything Sarge said this team just has no grit. Other than some hits from Glass and maybe Bortuzzo they aren't at all feared by anyone regarding physicality.

One of my major disappointments is that this team seems to have no leadership amongst their players. Past teams have always had several guys who were respected and who would actively inspire and motivate whether by example or getting in team mates faces. I don't see that with this team.

I also still maintain that they should seriously consider moving Geno. The guy's just too hot and cold for me and I think they could really build some pretty bad assed second and third lines with what they'd be able to get out of him.

Max Power

Forefather
Reaction score
My expectations in the Playoffs are low because of how they've been playing. That could make any success even better to behold.

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm going to pull for them, for sure. But I just don't have a magical feeling about these guys this year. Hope I'm wrong.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Did anyone see the game this afternoon? Ugh. The compete factor was there but there just wasn't much discipline on display. Stupid penalties, especially the one Neal took that let the Phlyers tie it at 1. Philly can get the Pens off their game with run of the mill bumps and shoves and by talking ****. Mentally, and on the ice lately, they own the Pens.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
It may be time that this team needs someone else behind the bench after the season concludes. A fresh approach. A new way of thinking. Discipline. Toughness, but be smart. This team is none of that right now. Even if/when Malkin comes back, it's easy to get under this team's skin and get them off their game. The Flyers know it, the Bruins know how to do it and there are other teams that play that style the Pens are not a good match-up with. This team has a lot of "stars", but are too top-heavy and the bottom lines are very mediocre. The Bruins are solid on four lines and have no real superstars with good D and G. I see the Pens getting to the 2nd round and bowing out of the POs. Not one of the better teams they have had and their play is not consistent. MAF will have to play close to flawless for them to get back to the Eastern Conference Finals.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
It may be time that this team needs someone else behind the bench after the season concludes. A fresh approach. A new way of thinking. Discipline. Toughness, but be smart. This team is none of that right now. .
So what you are saying is that they need Michel Therrien back?

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Did anyone see the game this afternoon? Ugh. The compete factor was there but there just wasn't much discipline on display. Stupid penalties, especially the one Neal took that let the Phlyers tie it at 1. Philly can get the Pens off their game with run of the mill bumps and shoves and by talking ****. Mentally, and on the ice lately, they own the Pens.

I agree. But at the same time when did it become illegal to penalize players for after the whistle bullshit? Philthy is the worst of the offenders and that's part of their method of "getting under the skin."

Pens absolutely dominated the entire 2nd period w/o Malkin and with Harry Zolnerchuck (sp) so they can definitely hang with the flyers if they keep their heads right. Just couldn't hit the net.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't disagree too much Rod. Problem is,the Flyers know what they can get away with,and they exploit it to the max. The Pens should know better than to retaliate, but they always do. This isn't new. The Flyers have been doing this since Crosby came to town. This team should know. It is a lack of discipline. Period.

On a side note, the officiating in the NHL is terrible. For example, two instances that stick out in my mind from yesterday. First, when Courturier (SP) had both his arms wrapped around Sutter's (I think) arm and pulled him down, more or less a tackle, and no call. The other was Hartnell cross-checking Letang in the back of the head and drove his face to the ice and no call. Now those are just recent examples, but egregious **** like that happens in every game in the NHL every night, and there are no calls.

I wish the NHL referees would just call the penalties when they happen. 90% of the time, they are in perfect position and can see the play and let it go. I brought up the two plays from yesterday because they were perfect examples of what is wrong. If they would just call the penalties, and teams were killing 12-15 penalties a game, they would cut down on the crap. I hate seeing the cheap junk the Pens and Flyers dished out yesterday. You can be physical without that kind of garbage. To me, it takes away from a very beautiful game.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't disagree too much Rod. Problem is,the Flyers know what they can get away with,and they exploit it to the max. The Pens should know better than to retaliate, but they always do. This isn't new. The Flyers have been doing this since Crosby came to town. This team should know. It is a lack of discipline. Period.

On a side note, the officiating in the NHL is terrible. For example, two instances that stick out in my mind from yesterday. First, when Courturier (SP) had both his arms wrapped around Sutter's (I think) arm and pulled him down, more or less a tackle, and no call. The other was Hartnell cross-checking Letang in the back of the head and drove his face to the ice and no call. Now those are just recent examples, but egregious **** like that happens in every game in the NHL every night, and there are no calls.

I wish the NHL referees would just call the penalties when they happen. 90% of the time, they are in perfect position and can see the play and let it go. I brought up the two plays from yesterday because they were perfect examples of what is wrong. If they would just call the penalties, and teams were killing 12-15 penalties a game, they would cut down on the crap. I hate seeing the cheap junk the Pens and Flyers dished out yesterday. You can be physical without that kind of garbage. To me, it takes away from a very beautiful game.