• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Let's Go PENS!

Spike

Reaction score
Rutherford: I have a short list of coaches in mind. The coach is going to have to adjust to the style of players we have because with the talent level of the Penguins, the Penguins can play however we want, but with the teams that we have to compete with, we are going to have to make the proper adjustments during the game, the regular season, or a playoff series. Obviously the Penguins can score, and score in bunches. But looking at the Penguins, obviously from a distance, because that’s where I was, I don’t think they can make the proper adjustments against certain teams, and that will be a key factor in what I will be looking for in a head coach. And then it’s going to be important to the chemistry, if the head coach is a certain way, we may need to exit those guys, have a motivator as an assistant coach, but we have to get a good mix of people.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=721981

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Rick Tocchet, John Stevens and Ulf Samuelsson are on the short list of candidates. Mike Babcock is still being mentioned as THE coach they want. As The Pens Turns will have a coached named by July 1st.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 12m
It's believed Willie Desjardins has made his way to Pittsburgh. He's the frontrunner for the coaching job but a deal needs to be finalized.

AHL coach for the Dallas Stars. Believe they won the Calder Cup with an up-tempo style. I've read a lot of good things about him today.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Vancouver is interested in Desjardins as well.

NHL.com is reporting the Pens are about to make an offer but they are not saying to whom the offer will be made.

Spike

Reaction score
I'm okay with him if it happens. He seems like a good candidate, and he has had success at multiple levels.

McKenzie: If Desjardins ends up with the Pittsburgh Penguins, some might consider that to be a blow to the Vancouver Canucks, where he's long been considered a candidate for their head coaching position. Keep in mind that John Stevens, who recently re-upped with the Los Angeles Kings, was another candidate in Vancouver. However, there are still lots of guys who general manager Jim Benning and president Trevor Linden have interviewed and are interested in. Mike Johnston, the general manager and head coach of the Portland Winterhawks, is amongst those who is considered to be a strong candidate for this job.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
Most "experts" around here had Pierre McGuire as GM. I think I'll wait for the official announcement .

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I would be ok with Desjardins or Ulf. Most of the rest are recycled failures. Give some new blood a chance. Worked out ok the last time.........

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I would be ok with Desjardins or Ulf. Most of the rest are recycled failures. Give some new blood a chance. Worked out ok the last time.........

Seems as though these reporters have no clue what's going on, but like you, I'd be fine with either.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Rutherford off to an AWFUL start as GM:

Yesterday: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6311701-74/coach-rutherford-penguins#axzz35Cx8xSky

“The process is coming to an end,” said Rutherford, who has made a decision on one of eight candidates to interview for the opening.

“I'm still checking a few points with the lead candidate, but a decision is coming real soon.”

Today: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6319254-74/rutherford-coach-nhl#axzz35Cx8xSky

“The guy I had is going to go in a different direction,” general manager Jim Rutherford said Friday afternoon.

“We couldn't make it work,” Rutherford said, adding he will start another coaching search next week.

“I'm going to take the weekend to sort some things out,” Rutherford said.

“I'll work off the same list I had, but it will be expanded by two or three names that for whatever reason weren't considered for interviews the last time.”

Spike

Reaction score
Not so fast....chaos ensues

Pens fail to close deal with Desjardins

"...looks like Pens are low balling coaches..."

"...2 year offer a big slight these days..."

"..an awful insult..."

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
This franchise sure turned itself into a punchline in a hurry. Management should be ashamed. Fiasco.

Steel G

Reaction score
Not so fast....chaos ensues

Pens fail to close deal with Desjardins

"...looks like Pens are low balling coaches..."

"...2 year offer a big slight these days..."

"..an awful insult..."

Because Rutherford is a stop gap while they groom some other GM to come in and start all over yet again. The whole thing is stupid, the moment Rutherford was hired you could tell the whole thing was *** backwards. I'm surprised Mario is letting this mess occur. Meanwhile, Ronnie Francis seems to be getting Carolina's **** together.

Spike

Reaction score
I told you we should have gotten Pierre

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 12m
It's believed Willie Desjardins has made his way to Pittsburgh. He's the frontrunner for the coaching job but a deal needs to be finalized.

AHL coach for the Dallas Stars. Believe they won the Calder Cup with an up-tempo style. I've read a lot of good things about him today.

Now they are saying Dejardins is close to signing multi year deal in Vancouver. Could low ball offer been to help get Ulf, who know seems like the guy?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Now they are saying Dejardins is close to signing multi year deal in Vancouver. Could low ball offer been to help get Ulf, who know seems like the guy?

If that is the guy, why not just hire him? This whole process wouldn't look so bad if Rutherford didn't open his mouth and spout off that he was close to making a hire and then basically admit they failed the very next day. It's going to be hard to put a team together when in two or three years they'll be looking for another GM/coach combination. They must want a two-year deal with a team option for the coach to accommodate this or be holding out for Babcock next year.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
what a complete cluster of a situation this has turned out to be. I was and still all for a change at the HC position. Will this team be better with Rutherford at the helm as GM? We'll see, but any ounce of optimism is fading since the firing of Shero. This 2-3 year window that they are using to hire coaches and a GM seems very strange. If they are putting all their eggs in the Mike Babcock basket, I am afraid, very afraid of the where this organization is headed.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
what a complete cluster of a situation this has turned out to be. I was and still all for a change at the HC position. Will this team be better with Rutherford at the helm as GM? We'll see, but any ounce of optimism is fading since the firing of Shero. This 2-3 year window that they are using to hire coaches and a GM seems very strange. If they are putting all their eggs in the Mike Babcock basket, I am afraid, very afraid of the where this organization is headed.

Of course things can turn around once they settle down, but the GM search was uninspiring and the coaching search has matched.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG 16m
Penguins schedule 12:30 press conference to introduce Mike Johnston as coach.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG 16m
Penguins schedule 12:30 press conference to introduce Mike Johnston as coach.

Apparently Rick Tocchet is coming with him, according to Yahoo! Sports.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
His resume looks decent to good.
Anyone know anything about him for real?

It would be nice to have some legit leadership again.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Apparently Rick Tocchet is coming with him, according to Yahoo! Sports.

Tocchet was rumored to be on board as assistant coach prior to Rutherford failing to land his guy last week.

Spike

Reaction score
Mark Madden @MarkMaddenX M'ike Johnston seems a good hire. No complaints. He &Tocchet will be a good combination'