• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Looking at the teams holes in 2022

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Our team holes look like Swiss cheese.

QB- Mason Rudolph, Dwayne Haskins,
Roethlisberger isn’t under contract so here it is. And I’m assuming they at least tender Haskins. Yep, not good.

RB- Najee Harris, Benny Snell, Anthony McFarland (Derek Watt FB)
Harris looks to be a stud but nothing else here. Ballage is actually our backup and he’s a FA.

WR- Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool
Yep, that’s not a typo. JuJu, Washington, and even Ray-Ray all UFA.

TE- Pat Freiermuth, Zach Gentry
Ebron is a FA. I feel we can sign Rader back. This is actually one of the better depth positions with two guys signed.

OL- Moore, Banner, Haeg, Green, Dotson
yeah…

OLB- TJ Watt, Alex Highsmith
Could really use a Quincy Roche about now.

ILB- Schobert, Bush, Gilbert, Johnson
If Bush can stop sucking this might not be a bad position. Though little depth.

DL- Heyward, Tuitt, Loudermilk, Buggs, Alualu, Wormley, Davis
Probably our deepest position but Heyward is long in the tooth and Tuitt is oft injured.

S- Minkah Fitzpatrick
Yep. That’s it folks

CB- Sutton, Layne, Pierre, Norwood
We got 4. But nothing I wouldn’t try upgrade. Norwood has been a pleasant surprise. I’d consider moving him to safety.

I don’t see us not trading down to get picks to fill holes. There’s just no way to fill all these holes in one or even two drafts.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
They have money to be free agent participants. They should use it for QB, DE, SS, and CB and G. Then draft BPA. Additional money can be freed up by letting Tuitt go and doing their normal tweaking of contracts. I am more concerned with them making the right moves than not having money or draft capital to fill out the roster.

Last edited:

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of holes. The team won't win anything without a QB so we have that.

Hopefully, a healthy Bush over the offseason can put in the work needed (not rehab, which isn't nearly the same) to improve at his position. He has been injured so hopefully, that is a huge piece of this because he needs to take a huge leap into next year if he has plans of not just staying on the Steelers but on any team.

We can always use skill positions. Hopefully, we get to see a little of McFarland in games here as he can't be any worse than what Snell and Ballage have put on tape. But, we will need WR and RB via FA and/or the draft.

We NEED a big ******* NT to anchor the DL and the D. YES, he can play all 3 downs. He doesn't have to get a bunch of sacks. He has to occupy 2 guys and collapse the pocket like Big Snack did. Then Heyward, Watt, and the rest can get to the QB and the runners. This will also keep our ILB's clean to do their jobs. It seems like common sense to me but what the **** do I know. I have been preaching it since Big Snack retired.

Who the **** knows if Tuitt will even come back next year. Dulac with the PG has been saying for a few weeks now that physically he is ready to practice and get going. Mentally, apparently not. I know you want to and need to have and show empathy in his situation but other people go through tragic losses and have to go back to work. I'm not trying to sound like a dick here but he needs to get back to work. If he's not seeing a psychiatrist, the team needs to force him to see one 3 times a week.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They have money to be free agent participants. They should use it for QB, DE, SS, and CB and G. Then draft BPA. Additional money can be freed up by letting Tuitt go and doing their normal tweaking of contracts. I am more concerned with them making the right moves than not having money or draft capital to fill out the roster.

A big chunk of that "free money" that we have will be used to bring in a Rogers QB that will have minimal protection. Unless the OL is addressed, we will see a lot of what we are seeing this year.

OR

We ride BEN / Rudolph one more year and re-stock this current team through draft and FAs mixture this coming off-season and next.

I don't have the answer and last time I was in my SPIRIT WORLD every gauntlet race / game / debate / ect. ended in a TIE, gp figure.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of holes. The team won't win anything without a QB so we have that.

Hopefully, a healthy Bush over the offseason can put in the work needed (not rehab, which isn't nearly the same) to improve at his position. He has been injured so hopefully, that is a huge piece of this because he needs to take a huge leap into next year if he has plans of not just staying on the Steelers but on any team.

We can always use skill positions. Hopefully, we get to see a little of McFarland in games here as he can't be any worse than what Snell and Ballage have put on tape. But, we will need WR and RB via FA and/or the draft.

We NEED a big ******* NT to anchor the DL and the D. YES, he can play all 3 downs. He doesn't have to get a bunch of sacks. He has to occupy 2 guys and collapse the pocket like Big Snack did. Then Heyward, Watt, and the rest can get to the QB and the runners. This will also keep our ILB's clean to do their jobs. It seems like common sense to me but what the **** do I know. I have been preaching it since Big Snack retired.

Who the **** knows if Tuitt will even come back next year. Dulac with the PG has been saying for a few weeks now that physically he is ready to practice and get going. Mentally, apparently not. I know you want to and need to have and show empathy in his situation but other people go through tragic losses and have to go back to work. I'm not trying to sound like a dick here but he needs to get back to work. If he's not seeing a psychiatrist, the team needs to force him to see one 3 times a week.

Tuitt, in going back to work would give him a purpose. Depression can best be faught by having a purpose wether work or some other form of purpose regardless you need a purpose. Just existing only cultivates the depression but I am NOT a doctor and I'm sure the team has way better consultants but Tuitt needs to get moving on a purpose.

If he isn't going to contribute to the team then take that option away from him to trigger a response (just a thought).

I feel for the guy as well but eventually you must move forward because standing still is actually going backwards.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If they are going to try and get a QB like Rodgers, I would look at Wilson. Both will cost us at least one 1st round pick and a large cap hit. I can't see us doing it but at least Wilson is younger and gives the team enough years to recover from giving up as many high draft picks as a trade like that would require. I can't think of anyone at a slightly lower level that might be doable for a few years while we look for a draft pick.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
With our lack of necessary draft capital and trade worthy players there is little chance we are in the Rodgers or Wilson sweepstakes.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers need a QB, NT, A true man to man CB. I’m not asking for Rod Woodson, but at least another Ike Taylor, a bigger ILB thumper. Bush is usually good, but our Bush is bad.

Those are my swiss holes. Cheese is still good. Still in the bottom celler developing

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
The 2022 Pittsburgh Steelers look to have as many holes as the typical kitchen strainer... definitely gonna have some work to do in the front office this offseason. Hopefully they spend well as we’re not used to having much to spend only frequenting the junk pile for spare parts.

A good draft and free agency could change all that though, this will be a true test in the coming off season.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Our team holes look like Swiss cheese.

QB- Mason Rudolph, Dwayne Haskins,
Roethlisberger isn’t under contract so here it is. And I’m assuming they at least tender Haskins. Yep, not good.

RB- Najee Harris, Benny Snell, Anthony McFarland (Derek Watt FB)
Harris looks to be a stud but nothing else here. Ballage is actually our backup and he’s a FA.

WR- Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool
Yep, that’s not a typo. JuJu, Washington, and even Ray-Ray all UFA.

TE- Pat Freiermuth, Zach Gentry
Ebron is a FA. I feel we can sign Rader back. This is actually one of the better depth positions with two guys signed.

OL- Moore, Banner, Haeg, Green, Dotson
yeah…

OLB- TJ Watt, Alex Highsmith
Could really use a Quincy Roche about now.

ILB- Schobert, Bush, Gilbert, Johnson
If Bush can stop sucking this might not be a bad position. Though little depth.

DL- Heyward, Tuitt, Loudermilk, Buggs, Alualu, Wormley, Davis
Probably our deepest position but Heyward is long in the tooth and Tuitt is oft injured.

S- Minkah Fitzpatrick
Yep. That’s it folks

CB- Sutton, Layne, Pierre, Norwood
We got 4. But nothing I wouldn’t try upgrade. Norwood has been a pleasant surprise. I’d consider moving him to safety.

I don’t see us not trading down to get picks to fill holes. There’s just no way to fill all these holes in one or even two drafts.
Right I agree they cant trade back to fill em all, they have to hit FA and they have the cap room needed. Sign a WR (JuJu?), a S (not Edmunds unless cheap), CB1 and a boundary backup (Weatherspoon again?). The rest are backups to fill

Draft a T/G in the 1st round, CB, WR or S in the 2nd round unless a QB prospect is available , rinse and repeat 3rd and 4th round with the skill positions, look for a true NT in 6th and 7th round, as well as another Roche

This would be a lame duck season probably between Rudolph, Haskins and a rookie so better get the other prime positions geared up for our next QB.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
which is why we should take Jordan Davis from Georgia in the first. BIG BOY could play all 3 downs on defense, giving us a TRUE 3-4 front ... when we get Tuitt back.

I'd expect us to bring back Juju. His salary demand after breaking his arm can't be too high. Take another OL in the 2nd. Then take Bo Nix in the 3rd.
Edmunds will likely be back (for good or bad) as his demands cannot be that high either.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I would definitely go after Wilson way before Rodgers. Rodgers has maybe the best receiver in football and two stud running back and is only one year younger than Roethlisberger. You put Rodgers behind this line and I give it 2 weeks before he busts his collarbone for the third time and never plays again.

I honestly feel if the Steelers don’t feel comfortable with Rudolph, they offer Roethlisberger a 1 year 14 or 15 million dollar deal. That leaves 35 million in salary cap. Might be able to snag a couple decent FA starters and fill depth holes with that. Of course if Roethlisberger retires and we ride with Rudy that leaves 50 million in cap space. Could get a LT, RG, CB and safety with that.

LT Cam Robinson 11.5m
RG Brandon Scherff 12m
CB Joe Haden 9m
CB Patrick Peterson 8m
S Jesse Bates III 8m

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If I'm Tombert I'm looking to extend JuJu right now. Draft an O-line prospect early...draft a DE/DT early. Look for some FA help in the secondary, O-line and at LB.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
which is why we should take Jordan Davis from Georgia in the first. BIG BOY could play all 3 downs on defense, giving us a TRUE 3-4 front ... when we get Tuitt back.

I'd expect us to bring back Juju. His salary demand after breaking his arm can't be too high. Take another OL in the 2nd. Then take Bo Nix in the 3rd.
Edmunds will likely be back (for good or bad) as his demands cannot be that high either.
DFC35032-E9A0-4540-BB52-6E5362CB0F72.gif
Yes!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
With our lack of necessary draft capital and trade worthy players there is little chance we are in the Rodgers or Wilson sweepstakes.
The Steelers have all of their future 1st and 2nd round picks. I don't think they'll make that type of move, but they have plenty of resources to trade.

If I'm Tombert I'm looking to extend JuJu right now. Draft an O-line prospect early...draft a DE/DT early. Look for some FA help in the secondary, O-line and at LB.
Why would JuJu want to stay at this point? They run him on 5-yard routes. He's averaging 8.6 YPC each of the last two seasons. The Steelers need a true deep threat.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers have all of their future 1st and 2nd round picks. I don't think they'll make that type of move, but they have plenty of resources to trade.

Why would JuJu want to stay at this point? They run him on 5-yard routes. He's averaging 8.6 YPC each of the last two seasons. The Steelers need a true deep threat.
To me, he's still the most reliable dude we have. Draft some speed. If we have better blocking, QB X has more time...then we can worry about getting down field more effectively.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I would love the Jordan Davis pick but I’d wager he’s gone before we come close to
picking...our D could sure use the rock in the middle.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If they are going to upgrade the OL it has to be with "TOP" draft pick(s) as we already have a 3 & a 4 for proof.

Today I'd be for a 1st or a 2nd on quality OL player and I see this as a MUST.

EDIT: The propblem is as I think they think they are set for OL.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hines was our No. 1 yet he wasn't fast at all. Being the fastest doesn't mean you are the No. 1.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No way in hell do I go after Wilson, let alone Rogers. Either of those 2 players destroy your chances of filling ALL the other holes on this team. I go after some youngish FA players to fill the supporting roles, and roll with Rudolph. Best case, Rudy steps up and we get average play from him, then draft a QB in 23. Ben’s money and NOW TJ’s makes it hard to fill the supporting roles with quality players and backups.