• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Marsh Fined Almost 6k

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I thought the penalty on Marsh was bad and now the league fines him as well. Marsh took a few steps and stared at the sideline not sure that warrants taunting let alone a fine. I think it is worse when players signal first down or when the whole defense runs to the end zone to celebrate a TO. Some QBs do their thing on TD passes, Watt does his sack celebration etc etc. I think they should let the guys have some fun, but be consistent.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Stone him...... stone him

NFL is a joke

He probably would have got no fine until he opened up his mouth about the incident after the game.....
I do think Marsh had a point about the official trying to subtly bump him .........

steelville

Reaction score
I think in context it was a good call. Steelers cut him, then he gets a sack and 'shows' the Steelers they made a mistake by staring down the bench. If he was just some player with no connection to the Steelers, I could see it being ticky-tacky. Glad they fined him, he and other ex-Steelers may get the message. Bet if AB did that to the Steeler's sideline after a catch no one would thing it was a bad call.

Steelers1356

Reaction score
It's simple, do your job and then walk quietly back to your sideline. Then you can avoid those controversial, ticky tack taunting penalties. And the Steelers have had their share over the years.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought the penalty on Marsh was bad and now the league fines him as well. Marsh took a few steps and stared at the sideline not sure that warrants taunting let alone a fine. I think it is worse when players signal first down or when the whole defense runs to the end zone to celebrate a TO. Some QBs do their thing on TD passes, Watt does his sack celebration etc etc. I think they should let the guys have some fun, but be consistent.
Thing is they are being consistent, but everyone is looking at the wrong things. This is a TAUNTING penalty not a CELEBRATION penalty like we had a few years back. There's a gigantic difference between Watts sack dance, or a team running to the EZ to pose for the camera after a turnover and taunting.

They are trying to remove the incidents that directly result in "payback" hits, fights, and things of that nature. This is no different than Juju standing over Burfict after he laid him out on the block. Had Marsh done his little kick, celebrated with his teammates and run back to HIS sideline, there is no foul. I've watched a few games this year where even smaller versions of taunting were called. Make your play, celebrate with your team or whatever, but you can't taunt the other team in any way, shape, or form.

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
That whole situation seems a bit ridiculous to me, but it's simple enough to completely avoid if you are capable of exercising just a wee bit of self control.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Marsh did his kick after the play. That was fine. Then he was jawing and motioning in a taunting manner as he headed toward the Steelers bench. The NFL has been relatively consistent on taunting this year (compared to most other penalties) and Marsh definitely deserved the penalty. I think the fine comes to anyone who gets a taunting penalty so that is fine as well. There was no reason for him to head toward the Steelers bench in the manner he did add that to the fact that our punter was right there and it was an easy call for the official. The Bears had a lot of penalties in the game and as I have said multiple times in other threads, they got away with a ton. They were the most undisciplined team I've seen in years. They easily could have had 25+ penalties called for them and 30+ isn't a stretch either.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I think in context it was a good call. Steelers cut him, then he gets a sack and 'shows' the Steelers they made a mistake by staring down the bench. If he was just some player with no connection to the Steelers, I could see it being ticky-tacky. Glad they fined him, he and other ex-Steelers may get the message. Bet if AB did that to the Steeler's sideline after a catch no one would thing it was a bad call.
If he was not an ex Steeler I doubt he even stares down the Steelers sideline. Hence he was taunting them.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
That whole situation seems a bit ridiculous to me, but it's simple enough to completely avoid if you are capable of exercising just a wee bit of self control.
It starts out as ridiculous kindle then some other player gets butt hurt at the taunting and then it is on. Hands fly , jockstraps cry, and penalties say hi. You have to cut it off at the pass before that fire grows.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It's a weak call and I never want to see that called, but if the NFL fines guys for taunting, they had to fine him to justify it.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
His entire celebration - the kick, the strut - was toward the Steelers bench. Watt always does his toward the end zone he's facing. QBs don't try to show up the opponent's bench. Marsh was obviously doing what the penalty says - he was taunting the Steelers.

chipped ham

Reaction score
Also, the bears as a team, literally, lead the league in the amount of taunting penalties this season. You would think that a coach who had control of his locker room, would focus on this very thing, and tell his players to keep their noses clean. Marsh’s position coach brought back memories of Dick Lebeau going after Anthony Smith in Carolina as soon as he got to the sideline. He knew what the **** it was, and how he just cost his team.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thing is they are being consistent, but everyone is looking at the wrong things. This is a TAUNTING penalty not a CELEBRATION penalty like we had a few years back. There's a gigantic difference between Watts sack dance, or a team running to the EZ to pose for the camera after a turnover and taunting.

They are trying to remove the incidents that directly result in "payback" hits, fights, and things of that nature. This is no different than Juju standing over Burfict after he laid him out on the block. Had Marsh done his little kick, celebrated with his teammates and run back to HIS sideline, there is no foul. I've watched a few games this year where even smaller versions of taunting were called. Make your play, celebrate with your team or whatever, but you can't taunt the other team in any way, shape, or form.

THIS

The officiating made trips to EVERY teams training camp and discussed this exact thing. Marsh knew exactly what he was doing so **** him and his post game whinney attitude interview.

Salute the nation

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't think it should have been a taunting penalty, but what I found interesting about the whole thing is: Marsh was completely blocked for a full five seconds on the play. For such a long period, in fact, that Turner actually stopped blocking him. Ben was stepping up (quite nicely, actually) to avoid pressure from three other Bears, and happened to run directly into Marsh. Then the guy acts like he made some incredible sack. Funny.

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
I was glad we got the call only because we have been on the other end of those stupid calls too many times. That being said, two wrongs don't make a right. But either way, screw all these stupid NFL rules, screw the the incompetent (or NFL directed) refs etc. The game and its rules are ugly on so many levels it is just tiring now. I use to watch anything NFL, now I watch the Steelers (which I have done since as far as I can remember). Even now I will admit that its not implausible I stop watching the NFL entirely at some point. There was a time that was unthinkable, particularly given my love of the Steelers.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Also, the bears as a team, literally, lead the league in the amount of taunting penalties this season. You would think that a coach who had control of his locker room, would focus on this very thing, and tell his players to keep their noses clean. Marsh’s position coach brought back memories of Dick Lebeau going after Anthony Smith in Carolina as soon as he got to the sideline. He knew what the **** it was, and how he just cost his team.
Oh yeah...that coach was going ape **** on him! Cowher spit and all

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The NFL under Goddell sucks. But, as I mentioned earlier, they actually have been somewhat consistent with the taunting calls. It sucks to see it called unless it's really bad but it was definitely the right call under the current way they are calling games.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Marsh did his sack celebration, and his teammates headed to the sideline. Marsh started walking towards the Steelers sideline and the Steelers punt team headed towards the field. Marsh continued walking towards the Steelers sideline and crossed over the hashmark on the Steelers side of the field. By this point, most of the Steelers punt team was past him, some 10 yards beyond him. Marsh gave two more steps just to make sure everybody saw him, and was at least 10' beyond the hash mark on the Steelers side of the field when he finally turned towards his sideline.

At that point, he needed to run through the Steelers punt team, which was basically huddling by the time Marsh finished his kick, dance, walk, look, walk, look, more walking, more looking, more walking, more staring, walking, glaring and strutting.

**** him. He put on a show for 15 seconds, had to get in the middle of the Steelers punt team, risked starting a scuffle if anybody on the special teams had enough of his stupid ****, and deserved the penalty.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Marsh did his sack celebration, and his teammates headed to the sideline. Marsh started walking towards the Steelers sideline and the Steelers punt team headed towards the field. Marsh continued walking towards the Steelers sideline and crossed over the hashmark on the Steelers side of the field. By this point, most of the Steelers punt team was past him, some 10 yards beyond him. Marsh gave two more steps just to make sure everybody saw him, and was at least 10' beyond the hash mark on the Steelers side of the field when he finally turned towards his sideline.

At that point, he needed to run through the Steelers punt team, which was basically huddling by the time Marsh finished his kick, dance, walk, look, walk, look, more walking, more looking, more walking, more staring, walking, glaring and strutting.

**** him. He put on a show for 15 seconds, had to get in the middle of the Steelers punt team, risked starting a scuffle if anybody on the special teams had enough of his stupid ****, and deserved the penalty.

THIS, couple that in with Marsh was educated by the league as to what Taunting was and what would be called. He cost his team but tried to blow it off as favortism to the STEELERS. His post game interview was pathetic if you know the rule and factor that in while he speaks.

Taunting and celebrating are to different and well defined rules, SEPERATE RULES.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

I can see the penalty but not the extra fine. He was penalized at that time on the the field and likely cost his team the game. It's not like he injured someone and the refs didn't flag it.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

I mean, even James Harrison gets the new rule. It may be a dumb rule, but it's so easy to avoid. Here's his thoughts on it...

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I can see the penalty but not the extra fine. He was penalized at that time on the the field and likely cost his team the game. It's not like he injured someone and the refs didn't flag it.
If they've been consistent with fining players for taunting all year (which I have no clue if they have), then the fine was legit as well. Hopefully, they've been consistent in that area but that certainly isn't their strong suit.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
The articles are not stopping, it is nothing but talking about how the Bears were screwed by the Steelers and the officiating. They are going out of their way to keep trying to say the bears should have one. What about the Lions who got ****** by the ravens? Not one word about that. Not all player set before Jackson spiked the ball not to mention the clock ran out almost 2 full seconds before the snap. Anywho, it’s the Steelers nothing to see hear, Rog tried and you would think a week later the articles would have stopped? Nope! Still strong daily and still very little on a Dolphin win

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
The articles are not stopping, it is nothing but talking about how the Bears were screwed by the Steelers and the officiating. They are going out of their way to keep trying to say the bears should have one. What about the Lions who got ****** by the ravens? Not one word about that. Not all player set before Jackson spiked the ball not to mention the clock ran out almost 2 full seconds before the snap. Anywho, it’s the Steelers nothing to see hear, Rog tried and you would think a week later the articles would have stopped? Nope! Still strong daily and still very little on a Dolphin win
That's all you heard on the pregame before thursday. They barely acknowledged that the Dolphins would even play in the game. Looked passed the game, talked about their upcoming schedule, etc. Then the Dolphins played their D the way that I thought all teams should be playing them. Like all teams played us last year, gang up to stop the run, contain Jackson, dare him to throw. Get the lead and DON'T back off into prevent. The Dolphins did this to perfection and we SHOULD be seeing more of this against the Ravens.