• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mason Cole.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Do we really have confidence that he is the answer at center.? Aquired in 3 Rd Rd by the Cardinals. Traded to Vikings after not being a starter after his 3rd yr.

Apparently he stepped up. And did well for Vikings last year. But got away in free agency?
Just seems no one is saying much about him since he was aquired. Like we assume it's a huge upgrade because rookie green had problems at center.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Do we really have confidence that he is the answer at center.? Acquired in 3 Rd by the Cardinals. Traded to Vikings after not being a starter after his 3rd yr.

Apparently he stepped up. And did well for Vikings last year. But got away in free agency?
Just seems no one is saying much about him since he was acquired. Like we assume it's a huge upgrade because rookie Green had problems at center.
He is an above average run blocker and I don't think you will see him getting his **** pushed in every other play. A huge upgrade? Perhaps not. An upgrade? Sure. Then again a one eyed grand ma ma with a hitch in her get up and go is probably an upgrade over Green at center.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess what I'm saying is, Coles "pedigree" is suspect in that it's not like he was a 4 yr starter somewhere else. He does have some starting experience.

I'm starting topic about something that could be looked at besides Watsons handjobs, and hating mason
You forgot DJ

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
He started most of a season in Arizona due to injury. I think he was traded to the Vikes for a 6th, and the Vikings chose not to re-sign him. I don't think he's the next Mike Webster.

steelhurt

Reaction score
As some have stated here I think an upgrade over Green but that’s not too hard to accomplish. Good run blocker so so on
pass protection, as long as he doesn’t get pushed into the QB all season ala Green.
I do think they must upgrade center next draft though. I also not comfortable with Chuks at RT either. I think Big Dot rebounds and DMJ will improve at LT. James Daniels will be solid at RG. My two cents!

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
As some have stated here I think an upgrade over Green but that’s not too hard to accomplish. Good run blocker so so on
pass protection, as long as he doesn’t get pushed into the QB all season ala Green.
I do think they must upgrade center next draft though. I also not comfortable with Chuks at RT either. I think Big Dot rebounds and DMJ will improve at LT. James Daniels will be solid at RG. My two cents!
KG may beat out KDot from some reports.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
KG may beat out KDot from some reports.
We'll see. KG doesn't have the prototypical size for G. Seeing how he performed at C doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that results will be any different than year 1.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Cole is going to be solid. I agree with everyone else who said it’ll be an upgrade over Green from last year. Also- if Canada calls some legitimate passes over the middle and whoever is our QB connects them- it will help.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Think back to how Green "played" Center last year.
Then remember how much better the line as a whole performed with Hassenauer, and even LeGlue, at Center. Cole will be OK for this year. As some have said, hopefully they look to upgrade next year (or even after cutdowns).

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
He started most of a season in Arizona due to injury. I think he was traded to the Vikes for a 6th, and the Vikings chose not to re-sign him. I don't think he's the next Mike Webster.
I doubt if he could carry Webster's Jock. But he just needs to be better tgan Green. The hope is the line as a whole will be better. You just can't fix everything in the draft and FA. They have lots of options at Centre if he fails.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We'll see. KG doesn't have the prototypical size for G. Seeing how he performed at C doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that results will be any different than year 1.

I also think Big Dot got a little slap up for a wake up call last season as well. How he responds will be tell tale because if Green beats him out then Dotson didn't work very hard in the off-season which was the cause of the slap-up.

I think KD will be better to surprising this year provided he worked his *** off over the off season.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I also think Big Dot got a little slap up for a wake up call last season as well. How he responds will be tell tale because if Green beats him out then Dotson didn't work very hard in the off-season which was the cause of the slap-up.

I think KD will be better to surprising this year provided he worked his *** off over the off season.

Salute the nation
FWIW, Lolley reported the issues the coaches had last year with Dotson was his work with the playbook. Dotson says he's caught up now but we'll see. You have two different styles of players with Dotson and Green with Dotson being that prototypical strong guard while Green is the most mobile lineman on the roster.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Do we really have confidence that he is the answer at center.? Aquired in 3 Rd Rd by the Cardinals. Traded to Vikings after not being a starter after his 3rd yr.

Just seems no one is saying much about him since he was aquired. Like we assume it's a huge upgrade because rookie green had problems at center.
He graded higher than Green, no???

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Dotson said in an interview he had a hard time switching sides last year. With a year under his belt, he felt he would be much better this year.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, Lolley reported the issues the coaches had last year with Dotson was his work with the playbook. Dotson says he's caught up now but we'll see. You have two different styles of players with Dotson and Green with Dotson being that prototypical strong guard while Green is the most mobile lineman on the roster.

Thank you for the explaination. I include play book as part of the hard work as well. If Dotson says he has the playbook under control then I look forward to this CAMP battle.

As with ost things invovlving players, time will tell.

Salute the nation

steelreeling

Reaction score
they havent invested in O line since decastro.. We throw draft picks and FA aquisitions at dback and whif... and you guys wonder why we cant move the ball, and blame ben for 3 sec pass plays
draft picks would work. i mean if they could be consistent instead of this draft a f*ckin Macan Turbo for an interior lineman and then draft a dump-truck at tackle. Seriously?

You might even be able to make that work if you called plays that were commensurate with their skills. Instead, we get this weird hodge-podge of all the things both of these lineman suck at doing.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Dotson said in an interview he had a hard time switching sides last year. With a year under his belt, he felt he would be much better this year.
There are coaches and OL players who talk about the challenges of switching sides and some guys just can't do it. I'm not sure why they didn't stick with Dotson at RG where he played pretty well as a rookie. Green also said he didn't like playing center.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Think back to how Green "played" Center last year.
Then remember how much better the line as a whole performed with Hassenauer, and even LeGlue, at Center. Cole will be OK for this year. As some have said, hopefully they look to upgrade next year (or even after cutdowns).
true, real talk
after the snap, Green was routinely pushed 3-4 feet back as he got out of stance. How many runs did we make up the middle for a gain? Off the top of my head, and since I cannot find that stat in a quick google search, it can't be too many. I believe Najee made most of his gains off guard or around the end. Kinda hard to run up the middle when the NT is right in front of you and your Center is on the other side of him, or on the ground.