• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mike DeCourcy says the Steelers should move on from Bell

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Decent article, but for someone that is writing an article talking about fantasy football stats and paper champions, he then bases his entire article on stats and paper numbers seems a bit hypocritical to me. What stats never do is tell the whole picture, especially about someone like Bell. Stats don't address their blocking ability that protects the QB. Stats don't show that teams rarely cover Bell out of the backfield with a LB and almost always assign a DB or Safety to him. This frees up a defender on Brown, JuJu, or Bryant and sets us up for success in the passing game. His delayed running style should actually be very beneficial in the play-action passing game, but Haley was not a fan of the play-action pass for whatever reason. As for his running game, for someone his size, Bell is actually pretty good at getting the tough yards and finding the sticks. He definitely lacks the explosiveness and speed to break long runs, but that type of speed is becoming harder to find as the LB, DB, and S are all getting faster and able to run down plays better. I would not break the bank to pay a running back, especially given the deficiencies we have on the defensive side of the ball, but that article does not tell the whole picture.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The Steelers are $14.1 million over the cap for 2018. How can the Steelers offer a player 15 million a year? They can't unless they cut a few good players, which is not going to happen.

We can't afford Bell. Please trade him, it makes fiscal sense, and we might find a back in the draft or free agency that offers a greater yards per carry or yards per catch.

Bell to the Colts #3 overall or Browns #4 overall for Barkley!

OR

Bell for a 1st and 3rd, and 6th round pick, with the Steelers taking Johnson or Guice in round 1 or 2.

The non-exclusive tag lets other teams negotiate and
offer a contract to the player. This is the best path.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
If Steelers got the #3 or #4 pick they would likely take a QB.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
If Steelers got the #3 or #4 pick they would likely take a QB.

With Ben saying he will play 3 more years? Dream on! Ben likes the OL and players and had a season that had few big hits taken.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers are $14.1 million over the cap for 2018. How can the Steelers offer a player 15 million a year? They can't unless they cut a few good players, which is not going to happen.

We can't afford Bell. Please trade him, it makes fiscal sense, and we might find a back in the draft or free agency that offers a greater yards per carry or yards per catch.

Bell to the Colts #3 overall or Browns #4 overall for Barkley!

OR

Bell for a 1st and 3rd, and 6th round pick, with the Steelers taking Johnson or Guice in round 1 or 2.

The non-exclusive tag lets other teams negotiate and
offer a contract to the player. This is the best path.

Know your topic before crying the sky is falling Chicken Little. According to the 51 personnel rule, with the proposed 178 million cap for 2018, they will currently be just over a million over the cap. That’s not counting any extensions or the typical moving money around on the contracts. It can be done, will be done, whether they tag Bell or not.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

BTW, Mods can we merge this to the Trade Bell thread? Don’t know why there has to be 10 threads on the same topic, just because there is a fleeting thought.

Last edited:

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
First off the only way to trade Bell is to tag him, secondly you can not get the Browns 4th pick, it has to be their first round pick, it can not be one acquired from another team, and thirdly they can restructure some contracts and free up some money from player's we already know wont be back. Barkley is a pipe dream it will not happen so can we please move on from trading Bell. I believe it has only happened one time in the history of the league that a team gave up two first for a player. again it aint gonna happen, so lets talk about what can.

Spike

Reaction score
Everybody will have an opinion on Bell, it's sexy hot news when the #1 RB in the league might become available

Peter King: Watch for Raiders on Le'Veon Bell

Peter King expects impending free agent Le'Veon Bell to "go to the highest bidder" and names the Raiders as a team to "watch" for Bell.

King doesn't do much reporting in terms of breaking news anymore, but he still has many connections throughout the league. The new staff in Oakland has been mum when it comes to Marshawn Lynch's future with the team, so Beast Mode could very well be one-and-done for his hometown Raiders. Oakland could use that money to go after a younger stallion like Bell, but he'll have no shortage of suitors should he reach the open market.

It's going to be tough for the Steelers to use the franchise tag on Bell again this year since they have very little cap room at the moment. However, creating cap space is a relatively simple task.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8390/leveon-bell

SteveA

Reaction score
Coach, I've never blasted you publicly until now, but I am calling you and all the others nodding in agreement out on this....We have in our stable a special player and you want to move on?

YOUR POSITION & the position of whoever the hell wrote that article

IS JUST PLAIN IDIOTIC.......

Have a great day sir......

paperclip

Reaction score
i've been hearing a lot of rumbling on this barkley fellow.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
It would be nice if they can sign him. This team needs a serious infusion of defense and nasty attitude. That mojo is gone...poof.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It would be nice if they can sign him. This team needs a serious infusion of defense and nasty attitude. That mojo is gone...poof.

Hey now, Mitchell has plenty of nasty attitude, he just couldn't back it up on the field to save his life.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Coach, I've never blasted you publicly until now, but I am calling you and all the others nodding in agreement out on this....We have in our stable a special player and you want to move on?

YOUR POSITION & the position of whoever the hell wrote that article

IS JUST PLAIN IDIOTIC.......

Have a great day sir......

Special all right. Late for meeting for a playoff game. Threating to hold out during a playoff game ( who does that? ), Twice injured, twice suspended, and way below average on yards per rush or yards per catch. Did I mention how short running backs primes are?

Let him and his music career move on to another city. With our OL. QB, and skill players Pittsburgh is an easy place to run the ball! Point and case what did Williams do while Bell was out? About even and he costs just a fraction of the 17 million Bell is asking for.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Know your topic before crying the sky is falling Chicken Little. According to the 51 personnel rule, with the proposed 178 million cap for 2018, they will currently be just over a million over the cap. That’s not counting any extensions or the typical moving money around on the contracts. It can be done, will be done, whether they tag Bell or not.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

BTW, Mods can we merge this to the Trade Bell thread? Don’t know why there has to be 10 threads on the same topic, just because there is a fleeting thought.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...y-cap-situation-kevin-colbert-mike-tomlin-nfl

nitsuj1225

Reaction score
With Ben saying he will play 3 more years? Dream on! Ben likes the OL and players and had a season that had few big hits taken.

Worked out pretty well for the Packers.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey now, Mitchell has plenty of nasty attitude, he just couldn't back it up on the field to save his life.

Yeah. I think our players have the right amount of "nasty". Guys like Mitchell and Vince Williams are passionate players who leave it on the field. Problem is -- the ability isn't matching up. Is that the players' fault for lacking talent? Is it the coaches' fault for not developing the talent they are sitting on? Who knows, but either way, I think it's more football IQ and skills they lack rather than nasty attitude

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This thing can go MANY different ways, depending on Bell & the Steelers working together.

Let's say the Steelers are interested in the Browns' #1 & #4. They can get those picks if Cleveland is willing to trade. Here is how you do it. You Tag Bell as non-exclusive, he goes to the Browns and works out contract numbers that he wants, agent presents the deal, Steelers agree. SIGN Bell to That contract BEFORE the Draft, and trade with Cleveland for the #1 & #4 pick. I could be wrong, but the only thing they would be on the hook for is a signing bonus. Cleveland makes it a Roster bonus payable AFTER the deal goes through, Steelers give him chump change or nothing to sign.

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
This thing can go MANY different ways, depending on Bell & the Steelers working together.

Let's say the Steelers are interested in the Browns' #1 & #4. They can get those picks if Cleveland is willing to trade. Here is how you do it. You Tag Bell as non-exclusive, he goes to the Browns and works out contract numbers that he wants, agent presents the deal, Steelers agree. SIGN Bell to That contract BEFORE the Draft, and trade with Cleveland for the #1 & #4 pick. I could be wrong, but the only thing they would be on the hook for is a signing bonus. Cleveland makes it a Roster bonus payable AFTER the deal goes through, Steelers give him chump change or nothing to sign.

That was actually pretty good, the only problem is I don't think even the browns are that dumb. they could take Barkley with the first, and still get their QB with the 4th and have TWO franchise players for less than Bell wants. I know its the browns, but damn no one can be that dumb.