• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mike Mayock

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Pass. I was shocked Raiders took him off tv to do it. Leave real football to the pros. Let Kiper, Mayock, and the other tv people play fantasy GM.

GREAT post and true.

I was shocked when the Raiders acquired him but not surprised by the Raiders in doing so. Not because they took him but because of their reputation of outlandish moves they've been making. I like Mayock as a draft guru / football knowledge man but never ever thought he was GM materiAL. Sorry Mike............. on with your "life's work".

Salute the nation

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In fairness to Mike, he handled the AB fiasco about as well as anyone could expect. That was Gruden's baby and he owns that stink-pile 100%

Buffalo66

Reaction score
He also steadied the ship when Gruden resigned. You can bet Gruden had the final say in the draft picks. Mayock can evaluate talent.
Isn't that critical in order to be a successful GM?
My guess is it was either Gruden or Mark Davis that wanted Clelin Ferrell and Henry Ruggs. Mark Davis, like his hair, is a trainwreck.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If ever a chance I'd talk to Bill Cowher and give him complete control, including coaching personnel decisions. Start this year with the transformation from below average Joe to MEGA JOE.

Possible Tony Dunge. I'm just throwing O'l STEELERS guys out there who could possible get the "tough" & "winning" tradition back.

Salute the nation

diver

Reaction score
1981 from Boston College...made it to final cuts. so there is a connection however slight.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I saw a very interesting discussion about who makes a better GM: a number cruncher or someone with a scouting background

The thoughts with a GM with a scouting background is they'll trust their own evaluations and not necessarily listen to the scouts. A number cruncher is more open to input from the team scouts, but the question from them is how do they evaluate all of this input when they don't have that type of background.

The Steelers are in this spot with Khan and Hunt if they want to promote from within whenever Colbert retires.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw a very interesting discussion about who makes a better GM: a number cruncher or someone with a scouting background

The thoughts with a GM with a scouting background is they'll trust their own evaluations and not necessarily listen to the scouts. A number cruncher is more open to input from the team scouts, but the question from them is how do they evaluate all of this input when they don't have that type of background.

The Steelers are in this spot with Khan and Hunt if they want to promote from within whenever Colbert retires.
Which way are you leaning? Pretty good debate. I guess that is dependant on how great Hunt's evals are.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Which way are you leaning? Pretty good debate. I guess that is dependant on how great Hunt's evals are.
Hopefully better than trading up for Bush, reaching for Edmunds & burns and trusting Green to start at C in Ben's final season.

I think Rooneys should take a good look into what's going on there and fix their ****.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully better than trading up for Bush, reaching for Edmunds & burns and trusting Green to start at C in Ben's final season.

I think Rooneys should take a good look into what's going on there and fix their ****.
Yep assess who is making the majority of the bad decisions and rid themselves of whoever it is.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I can see the value on both sides of the debate. I suppose it depends on how you want to approach things from an organizational perspective. I'm probably a bit biased because of Colbert, but I'd lean in the direction of a scouting background. Teams are built through the draft and supplemented in free agency. I suppose I like the idea to have a GM who has that scouting knowledge, but they still have to trust the team around them in with their evaluations.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I can see the value on both sides of the debate. I suppose it depends on how you want to approach things from an organizational perspective. I'm probably a bit biased because of Colbert, but I'd lean in the direction of a scouting background. Teams are built through the draft and supplemented in free agency. I suppose I like the idea to have a GM who has that scouting knowledge, but they still have to trust the team around them in with their evaluations.
I agree can't have too many draft eval capable types in the decision making process. Hopefully the home run it this year. I didn't think this last draft was bad other than trying to fit a square peg of a G into a round hole. Little surprised they signed off on Green with him having so little experience at the position. Then doubled down and forced his play for the majority of the season.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree can't have too many draft eval capable types in the decision making process. Hopefully the home run it this year. I didn't think this last draft was bad other than trying to fit a square peg of a G into a round hole. Little surprised they signed off on Green with him having so little experience at the position. Then doubled down and forced his play for the majority of the season.

A great GM would have guys who do the number & the scouting better than they themselfs can. Their expertise would be making it all come together in the end. Identify your weak links and either bring them up to speed or shop for new. A strong personality with football sense.

Salute the nation

steelhurt

Reaction score
If ever a chance I'd talk to Bill Cowher and give him complete control, including coaching personnel decisions. Start this year with the transformation from below average Joe to MEGA JOE.

Possible Tony Dunge. I'm just throwing O'l STEELERS guys out there who could possible get the "tough" & "winning" tradition back.

Salute the nation
I’d be fine with either one of these two. I don’t think it will happen though but would be cool if one was hired.