• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mike Sullivan

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
2 Cups....

But it’s Hockey.... thanks for the memories

Ya bum who can’t beat Montreal

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. He seemed to have lost it.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Personally, I love everything Sully and Rutherford brought to this organization and I am eternally grateful for the Cups and success, but I would look for a change at both positions. I would consider bringing Jason Boterill back for the GM position and would find a fresh, new face at the HC position.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Rutherford's moves the last few years have been highly questionable. Too much wheelin' and dealin'. That Gudbranson experiment was an embarrassment. Getting rid of major Cup contributors like Cole and Hagelin didn't help either. Reaves could have been a major cult figure in Pittsburgh by now. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. Should’ve left that 2017-2018 squad alone.
Rutherford gutted this teams mojo.

The lack of speed/skill makes Sullivan look like a dumbass.
I’d give Sullivan one more season. Can Rutherford. Bring in a Botteril type of GM

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
No one was complaining about Sullivan midseason when the Penguins were playing very well despite all of the injuries. Losing to Montreal is still unacceptable, but I'm willing to give him a pass. Rutherford on the other hand has pretty much been a dumpster fire since the second Stanley Cup. Bad trades and overpaying bottom of the lineup players.

str8liner

Reaction score
The MO for beating the Pens has been to beat them up physically. Plain as day with the Islanders last year and what the Canadians just did.....

Don't know how many times I seen Sid take shots after the whistle in the series, and they were beating on other guys too.

This team is too damn soft, and that has come from Rutherford and his insistence on speed IMO.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The MO for beating the Pens has been to beat them up physically. Plain as day with the Islanders last year and what the Canadians just did.....

Don't know how many times I seen Sid take shots after the whistle in the series, and they were beating on other guys too.

This team is too damn soft, and that has come from Rutherford and his insistence on speed IMO.

That’s great, but the Pens aren’t fast either. Trying to play a speed game with slow players is a recipe for failure.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
That’s great, but the Pens aren’t fast either. Trying to play a speed game with slow players is a recipe for failure.

Exactly. Speed and skill is what won the Penguins multiple Cups and then Rutherford tried to change the formula and make the team tougher. It was a disaster and they haven't been able to replace the speed element since.

str8liner

Reaction score

There is speed on the team, but it seems to be coupled with mediocre skills. Sheary for example. Rust for all he has done was about as good as Malkin in the series. I do remember too Rutherford thought they needed more physical players after they got beat up in 17 so he brought in guys like Reeves to help with it, then they got rid of him. Almost like Sullivan wants to play a certain way and Rutherford another and they aren't on the same page.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Something was way wrong in playoffs, Mike has been good coach and bring the cup back was great. He made really no changes in this series to counter the Play of the Canadians. We were far from aggressive and hitting was no where to be seen. Watching the games you could see exactly what the Canadians were doing , they controlled each game and the Pen's paid dearly. They looked like the low seed and played like it. So will we see some name players gone , coaches replaced .