• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mike Tomlin Gets One-Year Extension

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice, thank you Coolie. Now allow me to tear this moronic post apart:

While Ben had a strong season in 2018, I don't think the OL will be as good as it was years ago in 2019 and beyond. Age is catching up to Pouncey. Feiler is not as good as Gilbert was. Foster is getting old too.

Pouncey is playing at an elite level and is showing no signs of slowing down. He played 1101 snaps in 2018 (close to a league-high) and while his QB had the most passing attempts in the league, he only allowed 2 sacks. Feiler is a one-year starter and he played damn well in his limited time. PFF ranks the Steelers OL as 3rd best in the NFL for the 2019 season. They also rank Foster and DeCastro as the 4th best guard duo in the NFL for the 2019 season. You're eating paint chips if you don't think this is an elite unit and will continue to be.

Ben has taken a lot of hits. When you factor in his playing style, could this be his last really good season? We just don't know the answer, which makes Art II's decision to extend Tomlin genuinely mystifying. In a short amount of time, we might need a new QB, new Center, and new #1 Corner. Tomlin is not a re-building coach that will cut and slash what is needed. History shows he holds on to older vets too long.

Some might point out Brady and Brees are old. Yes, Brady and Brees are old, but they throw short and don't get hit as much.

Again, stop with the paint chips. Ben was the 3rd least sacked (starting) QB in the NFL last year. And remember, he had the most passing attempts by far.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/qb-sacked-pct

The above link shows the % of QB sacks in both 2017 & 2018, and only Ben and Brees had any consistency with both being well under 4% each season. Ben is finally getting elite consistency in pass protection, is showing no signs of slowing down, it's undeniable and the statistics bear that out.

And you're still an idiot.

Vader

Reaction score
BTW Rich Eisen is a moron. The problem with the clowns, bungles and Jets isn't the HC. It's the organization. You could put Vince Lombardi with them and it won't matter. The bungles stuck with Lewis for 16 years and never won a playoff game. So longevity by itself isn't everything. It has to be organizational structure. There are only a handful of teams each year that even have a chance at a SB. I can guarantee you right now the Jets, clowns, bungles, Raiders, et el aren't going to the SB this year. You have about 8-10 teams with even a chance of going. And having a HOF QB doesn't come along very often so you better strike while the iron is hot. And not winning a SB in 10 years with a great QB is a shame and many missed opportunities that you can't get back.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
It has been explained coach why it was smart play in their eyes.

Art does what is best for business. Fans aren't always going to agree, nor do they have to.

It doesn't stop them from canning him if there is a want to.

How is extending Tomlin for a third season good for business, exactly?

It's not like Tomlin was going into the final year of his contract where the direct uncertainty could potentially create a distraction.

Tomlin needed a good kick in the ***, given how the last few seasons have ended. The extension was the exact opposite of that.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

It's not like Tomlin was going into the final year of his contract where the direct uncertainty could potentially create a distraction.

Tomlin needed a good kick in the ***, given how the last few seasons have ended. The extension was the exact opposite of that.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Nice, thank you Coolie. Now allow me to tear this moronic post apart:

Pouncey is playing at an elite level and is showing no signs of slowing down. He played 1101 snaps in 2018 (close to a league-high) and while his QB had the most passing attempts in the league, he only allowed 2 sacks. Feiler is a one-year starter and he played damn well in his limited time. PFF ranks the Steelers OL as 3rd best in the NFL for the 2019 season. They also rank Foster and DeCastro as the 4th best guard duo in the NFL for the 2019 season. You're eating paint chips if you don't think this is an elite unit and will continue to be.

Again, stop with the paint chips. Ben was the 3rd least sacked (starting) QB in the NFL last year. And remember, he had the most passing attempts by far.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/qb-sacked-pct

The above link shows the % of QB sacks in both 2017 & 2018, and only Ben and Brees had any consistency with both being well under 4% each season. Ben is finally getting elite consistency in pass protection, is showing no signs of slowing down, it's undeniable and the statistics bear that out.

And you're still an idiot.

And you have no clue. Pouncey is already being held out in camp. He's not likely to keep his high level of play for long and the The Steelers will need to replace him in 2020 or 2021. By the way he had the most amount of penalties on the line last year....negative yardage plays. 5 of them.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties-player.html?tm=25

Ben is the 3rd most sacked QB of all time. And he will likely move in to the #2 spot this season if he plays 14 games or more. I tend to doubt you knew this. That is a lot of hits for a guy approaching 40.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_sacked_career.htm

Foster is getting older ( 33 ) and will need to be replaced too.

Once Ben is in decline this team is DONE, so extending anyone old or in the coaching ranks is ill advised.

Our owner is such a sharp guy, all he can see wrong is the kicking game. Tomlin choice to keep Boswell cost us the playoffs. Don't you agree? And if he's cut this season, it's another Tomlin hallmark mistake.

Well what do you know, my points are backed up with facts. You can't change them. Did you learn anything new :)

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Freaken A. He should have been let go last season after the epic collapse. I'm for spending money this year on key players, that's it. Once Ben hits the steep decline we are going to need to clear cap space. Tomlin will be exposed without Ben on top of his game or in his prime.

If Art Rooney II was wise, there would be no extension. I'm not even sure if the Steelers make the playoffs this year. The Division is getting better. An 8-8 season is NOT out of the question, then what Art II? You made it harder to cut Tomlin.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
BTW Rich Eisen is a moron. The problem with the clowns, bungles and Jets isn't the HC. It's the organization. You could put Vince Lombardi with them and it won't matter. The bungles stuck with Lewis for 16 years and never won a playoff game. So longevity by itself isn't everything. It has to be organizational structure. There are only a handful of teams each year that even have a chance at a SB. I can guarantee you right now the Jets, clowns, bungles, Raiders, et el aren't going to the SB this year. You have about 8-10 teams with even a chance of going. And having a HOF QB doesn't come along very often so you better strike while the iron is hot. And not winning a SB in 10 years with a great QB is a shame and many missed opportunities that you can't get back.

Eisen reminds me of a sleazy fraternity guy who got the crap kicked out of him for running his mouth thinking he was funny even if he was in the wrong.

As for our iron, it's cold. 3-6 in the last nine playoff games and an epic collapse last season. Would you extend the coach under those conditions, not to meeting losing control of his key players last season?

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
And you have no clue. Pouncey is already being held out in camp. He's not likely to keep his high level of play for long and the The Steelers will need to replace him in 2020 or 2021.

Pouncey is not being held out of camp. Even per Tomlin, he and Ben are getting a veteran's day off for the first padded practice. Guess what? They did the exact same thing last year. And Pouncey will likely retire in 2021 along with Ben, so yeah, they will need to replace him. Good call there.

Ben is the 3rd most sacked QB of all time. And he will likely move in to the #2 spot this season if he plays 14 games or more. I tend to doubt you knew this.

Yes, I know this. Do you also know Ben's only been sacked 82 times in his last four seasons? That's good for 20.5 a season, or in other words, tops for least sacked in the game.

Did you learn anything new :)

You're more of a moron than I even originally thought.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Our owner is such a sharp guy, all he can see wrong is the kicking game. Tomlin choice to keep Boswell cost us the playoffs. Don't you agree? And if he's cut this season, it's another Tomlin hallmark mistake.

There were a lot of things that kept us out of the playoffs last year IMO. Some of the most egregious were Tomlin decisions IMO (holding Ben out of the Oakland game comes to mind, out of a few) so you're not going to get an argument out of me when it comes to Tomlin.

Carry on with your regularly scheduled programming.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

They see it good for business as for stability which is what they value with their head coaches. They also see it as one less distraction for this season. Notice I said twice "they"

How I feel about it is irrelevant as it has been discussed per nauseam.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of Cowher's coaches were older than him. I don't think most coaches speak out against other coaches. So not sure what you are trying to say here. Why would a coach speak out against anyone when the NFL has limited jobs and you are always trying to find a job? I don't remember any coaches speaking out against the clowns coaches through the years but so what?

The coach of the year was already on Tomlin's staff when he arrived. He was also "retired" by the Steelers. So I'm not giving credit to Tomlin for a guy that he didn't want on his staff and was there when he arrived.

All coaches will have a tree after a decade. Still, even with Cowher's guys, I'm failing to remember who made an impact in the league. Yes Ariens was on the team (as a QB coach) but Tomlin made him the OC, and that decision took the O to 2 SB, and of course you don't want to give any credit to Tomlin's coaching tree, but it still doesn't change the fact that that apple fell from it..

And Haley has been listed as difficult to work with at every franchise he as been in. Probably a big reason why he wasn't resigned. Also he got himself and his head coach fired, mid season, the same week, because he couldn't agree with his coaching philosophy and was verbally attacking him on it. It's the first time a HC and OC were fired midseason, on the same day. There is a lot of boat rocking for that to happen in any organization.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
And Haley has been listed as difficult to work with at every franchise he as been in. Probably a big reason why he wasn't resigned. Also he got himself and his head coach fired, mid season, the same week, because he couldn't agree with his coaching philosophy and was verbally attacking him on it. It's the first time a HC and OC were fired midseason, on the same day. There is a lot of boat rocking for that to happen in any organization.

The Browns' offense was doing a lot better under Haley than it did the year before but at this point he has enough of a track record that it's safe to say he's a ******** who doesn't work well with other people.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The Browns' offense was doing a lot better under Haley than it did the year before but at this point he has enough of a track record that it's safe to say he's a ******** who doesn't work well with other people.

And how long did it take to can his *** here??? But hey the lowly fan what do they know? Turns out the minority owners of the Steelers feel the way many of us do and didn't want
Tomlin's contract extended. Art 2 overruled.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Well what do you know, my points are backed up with facts. You can't change them. Did you learn anything new :)

Yep, your points are backed up with facts.....

Ed Oliver wouldn't be drafted before # 10 in the first round.
Devin White would not be drafted in the top 8
oh and your forever headstone prediction that Polamalu wouldn't be any good because "his head is too big".

DumbAss

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Coach versus reality the last several years:

FilthyAchingHagfish-size_restricted.gif

Vader

Reaction score
All coaches will have a tree after a decade. Still, even with Cowher's guys, I'm failing to remember who made an impact in the league. Yes Ariens was on the team (as a QB coach) but Tomlin made him the OC, and that decision took the O to 2 SB, and of course you don't want to give any credit to Tomlin's coaching tree, but it still doesn't change the fact that that apple fell from it..

I understand you want to give Tomlin credit for Arians but you can't. He was part of the tree when he arrived and nobody is sure if Tomlin is the one who elevated him. He was probably elevated by the FO since it was Tomlin's first year. Also this is how Arians felt about Tomlin. Since you think nobody talks ill about him. This is an interview with HBO:

KREMER: “So you were eight years in Pittsburgh. Three Super Bowl appearances, two titles. Contract's up. Head coach Mike Tomlin calls you in the office. What happened?”

ARIANS: “He said, ‘I'll get you your bread.’ And I said, ‘Well, I'm heading to the lake. Just gimme a call."

KREMER: “And what happened?”

ARIANS: “I got a call on Monday and said, ‘I can't get you the money.’ I said, ‘Okay.’ He said, ‘No, I can't get you a contract.’ I said, ‘Are you firing me?’ He said, ‘No…’ ‘Well… it's just a matter of words, Mike. Okay. If I don't have a contract, I'm fired.’ And he said, ‘I'm going to fly down and talk.’ Said, ‘Why waste the money and the time?’ And so that was it. Walked upstairs and told my wife. And I've never seen her cry. And she cried.”

ARIANS' WIFE, CHRIS ARIANS: “I had admired Mike Tomlin so much. And I really thought he was a coach who really cared about his people. And for him to do this, well, I felt very disillusioned.”

KREMER: “Ultimately, what do you think cost you your job in Pittsburgh?”

ARIANS: “The style of offense and my relationship with Ben.”

KREMER: “Too close?”

ARIANS: “They thought so. Some people thought so. And we didn't run the ball enough.”

KREMER: “Did you feel betrayed?”

ARIANS: “Oh yeah. Yeah.”

KREMER: “Why did you feel betrayed?”

ARIANS: “Because I had done a good job. Maybe not the right image, but it was a damn good job. I was pissed. But again, time heals things. I had retired. Legitimately retired"

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
just off the the top of my head, Dom Capers coached and won playoff games in this league, Marvin Lewis was a successful DC and while he didn't win a playoff game, he turned Cincy from the laughing stock of the NFL to a playoff contending team, Chan Gailey coached Dallas to the playoffs two consecutive years in the late 90's, Whisenhunt coached Arizona to the Super Bowl, Haslett coached to the Saints to the playoffs and won at least one playoff game

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
just off the the top of my head, Dom Capers coached and won playoff games in this league, Marvin Lewis was a successful DC and while he didn't win a playoff game, he turned Cincy from the laughing stock of the NFL to a playoff contending team, Chan Gailey coached Dallas to the playoffs two consecutive years in the late 90's, Whisenhunt coached Arizona to the Super Bowl, Haslett coached to the Saints to the playoffs and won at least one playoff game

Typically, it seems like assistants get jobs when their offensive or defensive systems are cutting edge or emulated. We saw this for a generation with the Coaching Tree out of Walsh's WCO and Lebeau and variants of the 3-4 in a copycat league.

Shades' lack of a Coaching tree tells me his ideas are stale, and the assistants put in place have been Peter Principle guys like Uncle Randy, Bundy, and Crazy Todd Haley.

Shades needed to go because there's nothing fresh coming out of Pittsburgh for a long time now and it starts with him.

Matt6999

Reaction score
Bouchette is reporting minority owners were against it after wanting him fired after Jax.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I understand you want to give Tomlin credit for Arians but you can't. He was part of the tree when he arrived and nobody is sure if Tomlin is the one who elevated him. He was probably elevated by the FO since it was Tomlin's first year. Also this is how Arians felt about Tomlin. Since you think nobody talks ill about him. This is an interview with HBO:

KREMER: “So you were eight years in Pittsburgh. Three Super Bowl appearances, two titles. Contract's up. Head coach Mike Tomlin calls you in the office. What happened?”

ARIANS: “He said, ‘I'll get you your bread.’ And I said, ‘Well, I'm heading to the lake. Just gimme a call."

ARIANS: “I got a call on Monday and said, ‘I can't get you the money.’ I said, ‘Okay.’ He said, ‘No, I can't get you a contract.’ I said, ‘Are you firing me?’ He said, ‘No…’ ‘Well… it's just a matter of words, Mike. Okay. If I don't have a contract, I'm fired.’ And he said, ‘I'm going to fly down and talk.’ Said, ‘Why waste the money and the time?’ And so that was it. Walked upstairs and told my wife. And I've never seen her cry. And she cried.”

ARIANS' WIFE, CHRIS ARIANS: “I had admired Mike Tomlin so much. And I really thought he was a coach who really cared about his people. And for him to do this, well, I felt very disillusioned.”

ARIANS: “They thought so. Some people thought so. And we didn't run the ball enough.”

ARIANS: “Because I had done a good job. Maybe not the right image, but it was a damn good job. I was pissed. But again, time heals things. I had retired. Legitimately retired"

Ariens is a bit of a double edged sword. It's kinda hard to argue with the results particularly considering there was basically no offensive line for a good part of his time here. However, you could easily argue that Ben may no longer be playing football had he remained the OC. He took a ******* beatdown during that time. I'm hopeful of Fichtner. He seems to have the relationship of Ariens and the structure of Haley.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Ariens is a bit of a double edged sword. It's kinda hard to argue with the results particularly considering there was basically no offensive line for a good part of his time here. However, you could easily argue that Ben may no longer be playing football had he remained the OC. He took a ******* beatdown during that time. I'm hopeful of Fichtner. He seems to have the relationship of Ariens and the structure of Haley.

I used to bag on The Bruce when he was OC because he was never offered a head coach gig. Although he kind of backed in to it by default, he actually turned out to be a pretty good head coach when he wasn't calling plays.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing the interview. I've never seen it Vader. Sounds to me like Tomlin was trying to go to bat for Arians, then the ownership told him no, so he had to let Arians go. Still sad to hear his wife took it so hard. I'm glad he had success after that. His style worked, but it was boom or bust, and Ben took a lot of hits. I understand the organization wanting to protect their franchise QB, and moved to a quicker attack that ran the ball more.

I disagree strongly that Arians isn't from Tomlin's tree. I think the 5 years he served as an OC speaks more to his coaching ability than the 3 he served as a WR coach. And it was Tomin's decision to promote him.

I'd also be fine putting him in both Cowher and Tomlin's trees. Quite a problem to have when you only have 3 HCs in the SB era.

Bobby Bufford

Banned
Reaction score
I find it a little remarkable that more fans don't realize that Tomlin doesn't have the authority for much of the staff hiring and firing. I don't think the Rooneys trust him for those type of decisions, as the proof is in the pudding.

Look at the Ariens' situation. Cool Shades told him "I'm gonna get you your money." But, obviously he didn't have the authority to make that call, as the Rooneys told him, "No money for Bruce, and no new contract." And then the team didn't have the balls to call it what it was, trying to claim he retired. What a cluster beer gut.

And Haley was handled in a similar manner.

Regardless, MT doesn't hire or fire coordinators, even though they make lies up to make it seem like he does. For instance, LeBeau said he would be back "If coach Tomlin wants me to come back." That was bull, MT did not make that call either. And, it wasn't MT's call on promoting and keeping Butler either. Not even close.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
And how long did it take to can his *** here???

The length of his contract. The lovely Mrs. Haley's husband wasn't canned, they simply let his contract run out just like they did with The Bruce and I think LeBeau.