• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Missed TD wrong route

FordFairLane

Reaction score
https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...uchdown-on-ray-ray-mccloud-not-mason-rudolph/

Hoge thinks Ray-Ray ran the wrong route. I just thought it was a stupid looking route and a missed pass.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
See this is what ******* DRIVES ME CRAZY!
If Hoge is correct in his analysis, they Steelers ran ANOTHER ******* PLAY SHORT OF THE LINE OF GAIN.

WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY?
******* morons!

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
so RayRay saw he could get into the end zone on the busted coverage. believing his QB could get the ball there, he took a few additional steps.

however, since RayRay's QB was Mason, and Mason is not adept at ad-libbing (even if looking difuckingrectly at the receiver), the play turned to ****.

None of this, however, should exempt criticism of the offensive play calling at the 5. Someone please tell me why we didnt load up Najee four times from the 5? Bring in Watt and Banner. Even show the defense what we're going to do. The Lions had the shittiest run defense in the league. If we couldnt have gotten a TD from 5 yards out - even with our pathetic OL - then so be it.

Instead, we attempted to impose our weakness on them.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
so RayRay saw he could get into the end zone on the busted coverage. believing his QB could get the ball there, he took a few additional steps.

however, since RayRay's QB was Mason, and Mason is not adept at ad-libbing (even if looking difuckingrectly at the receiver), the play turned to ****.

None of this, however, should exempt criticism of the offensive play calling at the 5. Someone please tell me why we didnt load up Najee four times from the 5? Bring in Watt and Banner. Even show the defense what we're going to do. The Lions had the shittiest run defense in the league. If we couldnt have gotten a TD from 5 yards out - even with our pathetic OL - then so be it.

I agree with this. Roethlisberger would have seen the busted coverage and thrown into the end zone. Rudolph I feel runs the offense to a T and won’t vary in the slightest from the playbook.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
This is the same issue in have with people saying Ballage ran the wrong route. Mason was looking at him throw it to him not where he is supposed to be.... WRs adjust routes all the time to exploit soft spots or busted coverage. Neither the ray ray pass or the one to ballage was a precise timing route

FordFairLane

Reaction score
This is the same issue in have with people saying Ballage ran the wrong route. Mason was looking at him throw it to him not where he is supposed to be.... WRs adjust routes all the time to exploit soft spots or busted coverage. Neither the ray ray pass or the one to ballage was a precise timing route
Agreed. Hopefully this is just a learning adjustment that with playing time and familiarity with players and offense he can overcome.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The ball was already out of Rudolph's hand. He didn't have time to adjust to what Ray Ray was doing. That play with all of those defenders right there had to be run very quickly. If Ray Ray ran a wrong route in that position, it's on him. If they had an option to read the D and do one of two things, then the QB and WR need to be on the same page and I doubt anyone is on the same page with Ray Ray but Rudolph would be the closest since he probably practices with him more than Ben.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with this. Roethlisberger would have seen the busted coverage and thrown into the end zone. Rudolph I feel runs the offense to a T and won’t vary in the slightest from the playbook.
I don't know that he's capable of doing a lot of mods on the "fly". Even though he's been in the league a few years his actual game time is relatively limited. The BIGGEST issue is

A) Why are you not running the ball when you have 1st and goal from the 5 and you have Najee Harris vs the 2nd worst run D in the league.
and
B) if you are GOING to throw, particularly on 3rd down, WHO ******* CALLS A PLAY THAT HAS THE RECEIVER SHORT OF THE GOAL LINE?

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know that he's capable of doing a lot of mods on the "fly". Even though he's been in the league a few years his actual game time is relatively limited. The BIGGEST issue is

A) Why are you not running the ball when you have 1st and goal from the 5 and you have Najee Harris vs the 2nd worst run D in the league.
and
B) if you are GOING to throw, particularly on 3rd down, WHO ******* CALLS A PLAY THAT HAS THE RECEIVER SHORT OF THE GOAL LINE?
Yeah, that killed me. Give it to Najee 4 times. **** it.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Basically, the play was busted (according to Hoge) because the receiver ****** up and went IN TO the End Zone and the ball wasn't thrown there because he wasn't supposed to be in scoring position.

Just So ******* Dumb.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No. I mean, I give it to him at least twice and maybe I think about doing it again on 3rd. But at least twice. And if I DO throw on 3rd, it will be to either Gentry or Muth up high IN the EZ.

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
No. I mean, I give it to him at least twice and maybe I think about doing it again on 3rd. But at least twice. And if I DO throw on 3rd, it will be to either Gentry or Muth up high IN the EZ.
Yeah, I know what you mean and I agree at least twice.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
The fact that Ray-Ray was such a huge focus of the game plan is disturbing at best ...
I doubt RayRay had their top guy on him. I have zero issue with it. Actually it shows maybe we were attacking their weakness. RayRay had a career game.

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt RayRay had their top guy on him. I have zero issue with it. Actually it shows maybe we were attacking their weakness. RayRay had a career game.

To be fair, he had a career game because we game planned for him ... and we played the worst team in the league ... and we didn't win. I mean, I am not sure what the justification is for that game plan. I could go to the Steelers. They could just hand me the ball every play and I would have a career game ... of -436 yards. But the fact that I had a career game wouldn't be much of a justification for anything.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

THIS

A-N-D

Some here wonder why we question Tomlin's coaching ability. Can point at Canada but the play calls go through Tomlin's ears (head set) so he could alter / demand / or just ******* stand there with his pet deer.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I think Najee averaged near 5 yards per carry in that game, It just made NO SENSE whatsoever to not run the ball.

Salute the nation

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Najee averaged near 5 yards per carry in that game, It just made NO SENSE whatsoever to not run the ball.
Unless they EXPECT them to run the ball with Najee, then you PASS, but then if they think "maybe they'll PASS because we EXPECT them to run, so you think. HA, we'll go ahead and RUN, but then that's what they EXPECTED before they EXPECTED you to pass, so the expectation is the expectation so we'll PASS in order to make them think we're going to RUN when we're going to PASS, but they'll THINK we're PASSING because they expect us to RUN when really we're PASSING because they EXPECT us to EXPECT them to EXPECT us to EXPECT them to play the run!

It's easy if you don't overthink it.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Unless they EXPECT them to run the ball with Najee, then you PASS, but then if they think "maybe they'll PASS because we EXPECT them to run, so you think. HA, we'll go ahead and RUN, but then that's what they EXPECTED before they EXPECTED you to pass, so the expectation is the expectation so we'll PASS in order to make them think we're going to RUN when we're going to PASS, but they'll THINK we're PASSING because they expect us to RUN when really we're PASSING because they EXPECT us to EXPECT them to EXPECT us to EXPECT them to play the run!

It's easy if you don't overthink it.
You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia' - but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!' Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Yeah that's what a lack of real fire practice gets you. He was wide open but if Rudolph expected him closer it explains the dirt ball.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
When you watch the all 22 it's clear. If he just sits where he should have been it's a TD anyhow. Instead he tried to catch in endzone where the play isn't supposed to go.