• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mock Draft

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's my attempt at a 1st round mock. I haven't had as much time as usual which could be a good thing for mock drafts because we tend to overthink these things when we fans spend months wondering about the picks.

Lots won't like my pick for the Steelers. I'd be a bit nervous myself but the potential impact is great and the steelers have not gotten much impact from the draft in recent years. They've gotten some "pretty good" but not much impact. I think the steelers want to change that,

And this will probably get blown up by a bunch of trades but here goes

1 Houston - Jadaveon Clowney DE/OLB S Carolina
They just have to take him. I can't see O'Brien taking any QB this high. I'm guessing they will try to trade down.

2 St Louis - Greg Robinson OT Auburn
Maybe the go Watkins, but with a pick again at 13, they can still land a stud WR later. The top 3 OTs will likely be gone. They could go Matthews who is safer but Robinson is the better athlete

3 Jacksonville - Khalil Mack DE/OLB Buffalo
could go matthews or Watkins. WR is deep and they went OT last year. They need an impact player. Pass Rushers are scarce in this draft.

4 Cleveland - Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
i'm hoping they take Manziel, but i don't see them going QB this high. Watkins could be the pick but again with WR being so deep and them already having Gordon, OT is the pick here.

5 Oakland - Mike Evans Wr Texas A&M
The got Schaub which means they can take QB later. They have a bunch of #2 WRs who could all become dangerous with a true #1 WR. Evans would give them a physical WR to go with their speed guys.

6 Atlanta - Taylor Lewan OT Michigan
Need OL help badly. If they don't trade up for Clowney or Mack, then OT is their only logical pick.

7 Tampa Bay - Sammy Watkins WR Clemson
Would pair perfectly with Vincent Jackson. Probably grab Evans here is Raiders take Watkins. Aaron Donald possible but i think they go for a playmaker.

8 Minnesota - Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
Mike Zimmer had Geno Atkins in Cinci and he starts his defense with another penetrating DT. SHould pair well with Shariff Floyd from last year

9 Buffalo - Odell Beckham WR LSU
They need playmakers to get EJ Manuel going. He didn't look great last year. Maybe they go Ebron but Beckham is the better player. Should be able to play immediately and fits well with Stevie Johnson and Robert Woods.

10 Detroit - Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma St
Rumor is they want to trade up for a WR. That's crazy after signing Golden Tate. Ebron may be in the mix. They need defense. It would be great if they draft CJ Mosley because they already have a guy named CJ Mosley on their team.

11 Tennessee - Anthony Barr OLB UCLA
Whisenhint and DC Ray Horton grab a pass rusher for that 3-4. They could go Gilbert if he's available. I think they'll take Barr over Dennard or Fuller. Possible spot for Bortles

12 Ny Giants - Zack Martin OT Notre Dame
He is a Giants kind of player. Their OL is in shambles.

13 St Louis - Deone Buchannon S Washington State
Best Safety in the draft and a position of need. hits like a truck. Can play either Safety position. A Jeff Fisher type of player

14 Chicago - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix Alabama
Huge need at safety. Maybe they go Kyle Fuller but CB may be a bit deeper so they grab the S here.

15 Pittsburgh - Kelvin Benjamin Wr Florida State
If Beckham is gone, i just have a gut feeling that they grab Benjamin here instead of CB. They just don't take CBs high very often because their scheme doesn't demand as much from them as other teams. With Benjamin, you have a shot at adding a player that changes how the defense plays you.

The Steelers do not take the last 2 years lightly. They want back in the playoffs NOW and want another Super Bowl while Ben is still in his prime. I have a feeling they swimg for the fences with Benjamin and add a CB later.

16 Dallas - Calvin Pryor S Louisville
Their defense needs help. Safety is terrible for them.

17 Baltimore - Eric Ebron - TE North Carolina
They know they need big targets for Flacco. They need OT and could go for Moses but if Ebron is there, he's the pick.

18 NY Jets - Brandin Cooks WR Oregon State
Jets need speed. This offense has been anemic for years. They got Eric Decker as a possession guy and Cooks can be the deep threat.

19 Miami - Kyle Fuller Cb Virginia Tech
Need defensive help

20 Arizona - Blake Bortles QB Central Florida
First QB off the board! I have a feeling a team may trade up somewhere and grab a QB before this. Arizona is in a good spot to land a QB of the future with Palmer close to the end.

21 Green Bay - Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
Need a physical DB to match Chicago big WRs

22 Philadelphia - Ryan Shazier LB Ohio State
Eagles need defense everywhere. Seems like they met with half the LBs in the draft. Shazier fist in with the Oregon candy *** style they play

23 Kansas City - Derek Carr QB Fresno State
fits well with what Reid likes to do. Similar to Foles who he drafted in Philly.

24 Cincinnati - Jason Verrett Cb TCU
Need help in the secondary.

25 San Diego - Bradley Roby CB Ohio State
They need CB help.

26 Cleveland - Johnny Manziel Douchebag Texas A&M
i really hope this happens. I think they go QB here for sure and Manziel will be their guy if available.

27 New Orleans - CJ Mosley
falls into their lap

28 Carolina - Marqise Lee Wr USC
they need WR bad. They could go Allen Robinson if they want a bigger WR.

29 New England - Stephon Tuitt DE Notre Dame
could be versatile like Seymour was for them

30 San Francisco - Kony Ealy DE Missouri
could allow them to cut ties with Aldon Smith

31 Denver - Rashede Hageman DT Minnesota

32 Seattle - Joel Bitonio OT Nevada
They can use an upgrade on OL

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
OK tape, help me out here. I don't get involved with the draft until the draft..if ya know what I mean.
You have us picking the # 8 ranked WR ( who some ranked as a 2nd round prospect) when there are 4 higher ranked receivers still available..how come ?

4 *Sammy Watkins WR 1

9 *Mike Evans WR 2
14 *Odell Beckham Jr. WR 3

21 *Brandin Cooks WR 4
25 *Marqise Lee WR 5
34 *Allen Robinson WR 6
42 *Cody Latimer WR 7
44 *Kelvin Benjamin WR 8

Last edited:

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Because he's 6'5 and has an 80 inch wingspan. Steelers want a big WR, a redzone threat. He's raw but has big potential and would make steelers tough to stop with Brown and Wheatons speed.