• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mock the Mock...likely the final one....

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
So, Walterfootball came out with a 7-round mock draft today. Brand spanking new. I thought since this may be the last one until September (kidding), I would add a twist. In this one, you get two choices....first, you mock the draft as it sits. I'll list the pick numbers and who Walter selected for us. OR, you can opt for the Peter King trade down (he mocked it in his one round draft) which means the Steelers slide down to 22 and pick up the Eagles 22nd and 2nd round picks for the 15th. I figure since many are calling for a trade down, I would throw that option in and this is one that was published by a reputable writer (not that it means much). Anywho, here it is....

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

Walter's Picks
15-Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
46-Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame
97-Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
118-James Gayle, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech
157-Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech
173-Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State
192-John Urschel, G, Penn State
215-Kirby Van Der Kamp, P, Iowa State
230-Rob Blanchflower, TE, UMass

Your selections:
No Trade
15-
46-
97-
118-
157-
173-
192-
215-
230-

Trade Down with Eagles
22-
46-
54-
97-
118-
157-
173-
192-
215-
230-

Do your worst.....

deljzc

Reaction score
There's a lot of guys on that list I like.

Your selections:
No Trade
15-Dennard, CB
46-Nix, NT
97-Bruce Ellington, WR
118-CJ Fiedorowicz, TE
157-Chris Smith, DE/OLB
173-Max Bullough, ILB
192-Dez Southward, S
215-Isaiah Crowell, RB
230-Devin Street, WR

Pick up Cornelius Lucas in UFA. Worried a bit about interior O-line and DE, but this draft isn't very good or deep on those positions. Get the picks with deep talent.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll take the drop:

Trade Down with Eagles
22- Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
46- Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame I like the TEs but this value is to good to pass on
54- Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
97- Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
118- Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
157- Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech
173- Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State
192- Prince Shembo, DE/OLB, Notre Dame
215- Kirby Van Der Kamp, P, Iowa State
230- Devin Street, WR, Pittsburgh

Just disappointed no TEs fell in where I wanted them. UDFA TEs, OLs, RBs, and WRs!!

LT Dan

Reaction score
OMG take the trade down:
22 CB Fuller
46 DE Crichton
54 Decent WR

I

Idioteque

No Trade
15-
46-
97-
118-
157-
173-
192-
215-
230-

Trade Down with Eagles
22- Ra'Shede Hageman, DL, Minnesota
46- Jimmie Ward, FS, Northern Illinois
54- Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State
97- Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina
118- C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
157- Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech
173- Storm Johnson, RB, Central Florida
192- Prince Shembo, Edge, Notre Dame
215- Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State
230- Jonathan Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Trade Down with Eagles

22-Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
46-Scott Crichton, DE/OLB, Oregon State
54-DaQuan Jones, NT, Penn State
97-Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
118-Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
157-Taylor Hart, DE/DT, Oregon
173-De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon
192-Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
215-Ron Powell, DE/OLB, Florida
230-Quincy Enunwa, WR, Nebraska

Last edited:

keslerclan

Reaction score
We can get a decent draft out of either one IMO:

Without the trade:

15 - Gilbert - arguably a top CB
46 - Kouandjio - we will lose Gilbert or another T after this year. Start him at RT til we figure out who.
97 - P. Gaines - another top CB with some tackling ability
118 - Justin Ellis - just what we need in the middle to create disruption
157 - Taylor Hart - I think we are ok w Arnfelt and Keisel (once re-signed) but could rotate starting next year
173 - Max Bullough or Jordan Zumwalt - another option instead of Williams for 2 downs plus Zumwalt can play some OLB in relief
192 - James White - I like the kids skill-set and he is one of the best blockers in pass-pro
215 - Josh Huff - A less expensive version of Sammy Watkins/Marqise Lee
230 - Devin Street - An outside target who might come onto the field in RZ situations too

With the trade:

22 - Dennard - not as much upside as Fuller but similar skills ready to go
46 - Scott Crichton - too much potential to pass up and could be an insurance policy at rolb
54 - Kouandjio - see above (he only falls because of his knee)
97 - P Gaines - see above
118 - Ellis - see above
157 - Antone Exum - as a S or 3rd CB only to begin with
173 - J. Huff - he will go higher than above but I have the ability to see that in this exercise
192 - J. White - see above
215 - Wes Johnson - could be a LT too but might be an all-pro LG
230 - Devin Street - see above

I go after Shaq Barrett, L'Damian Washington, Alex Bayer and Marcel Jensen as PFAs and a few others to beat up in training camp.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I'd trade 15 and next years first for Mack

I would love to have mack, but the problem is where does he play? Thats a lot to give up for someone who may not be on the field more than 50% of the time. Timmons will most likely be around for a few years and he is the only MLB on the field for nickel and dime defense which I believe the steelers ran more than their base last year. Now if Mack can play OLB then it may be worth it.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I take the trade down, of course. And, I think I may shock some people, but there are some guys that, while I like the film, I just do not love the player. Cannot understand why, but just do not have that warm and fuzzy feeling about and I am drafting this one using instincts....

22-Jason Verrett, CB, TCU-I have said this before, if he were 2" taller, I think he might be the top corner in this draft. He just does everything well. He can play the edge, handle the slot, has quickness, long speed, ball skills, and will tackle. This draft is flushed with bigger corners and passing on Dennard might be a mistake, but Verrett adds a talented player and some versatility to the cornerback position. He could be the slot corner as a rookie, and that is even with the group of guys coming back.

46-Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville-while there are plenty of guys getting hype, like Mack, Ford, and some others, Smith seems to have quietly made his way through the draft process without a ton of talk. He is 6033-251 and ran a 4.66 forty. Good quickness, KEI of 69. Good film, explosive guy that tallied 14.5 sacks last season.

54-Cyrus Kouanjio, LT, Alabama-plenty of people here DND this guy, I am not one of them. I truly thinks he is still a top 25 guy when this is all said and done, especially when he got good reviews from his last workout. The NFL tends to forget the bad pretty quickly.

97-Bruce Ellington, WR, SC-I so want to just take the bigger WR, but I am having some trouble with the drops of guys like Moncrief and Bryant. I go back and forth on those guys. I read this morning that Kiper thinks if Ellington is taken outside of the first round, someone is getting a steal. Maybe that is swaying me. Dunno. Welcome to smurfville.

118-Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice-was chatting with Wexell about Gaines at one point this offseason, Wexell said the feeling he got was Gaines would not make it out of the 2nd round, too talented. Dunno about that, smaller school guys that can run sometimes go high, sometimes they slide into the middle rounds. In this case, he slipped. I take him. He is my bigger corner to pair with Verrett.

157-Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon-I like his game. My only problem with Hart is I continue to want to take him higher. I think he goes higher. There is a lot of guys some have rated down that I like a lot and he is one of them. Tough run defender that can get some push. He goes hard and just reminds me so much of Aaron Smith.

173-Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT/G, Canada-my sleeper OL late. Athletic, good power, smart as hell. He needs to be coached up and has some stuff to learn, but he has the nasty demeanor and work ethic to be an elite player. I really think he could become a special guard and he has the potential to play tackle. In fact, I think he could play any OL position. Medical student that only practiced one day a week due to studies. College coach called him the best player he ever coached. Played RT in the East-West Shrine game but was a LT in college. Just too much raw talent to not try and develop him.

192-Quincy Enunwa, WR, Nebraska-big WR that has the same issues Moncrief and Bryant have, he can have some head scratching drops. He has great hands as he can make some very tough catches. He is not afraid of traffic. Excellent athlete, big, powerful guy. Good blocker.

215-Justin Jackson, ILB, Wake Forest-not a great draft to find that ILB sleeper, but I like the film on Jackson and I think he is athletic enough to fill the role. He did not run the 40 prior to the draft due to injury but reportedly runs in the 4.45 range. He did do the other parts of the workout with a bench of 27, VJ of 39.5", BJ of 10'3", shuttle of 4.29 , and cone of 6.75. He shows some ability in coverage (although still developing as a zone coverage guy) and is willing to stick his nose in it when it comes to the run. This late, that is all I can ask.

230-Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma-Colvin was a senior bowl invite and considered much high than this. He tore his ACL in practice and that was it. He will be a guy that likely hits the IR shelf for a season. Tired of watching teams take great talent late because of injury and a year later, they have that talent to use while our late picks are moving on with their life's work.

Papa Lazarou

Reaction score
Trade Down with Eagles
22- Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan St.
46- Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
54- Marcus Smith, OLB/DE, Louisville
97- Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
118- Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon
157- Ross Cockrell, CB, Duke
173- De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon
192- Josh Huff, WR, Oregon
215- Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin
230- Ron Powell, OLB/DE, Florida

deljzc

Reaction score
There's a lot of guys on that list I like.

Your selections:
No Trade
15-Dennard, CB
46-Nix, NT
97-Bruce Ellington, WR
118-CJ Fiedorowicz, TE
157-Chris Smith, DE/OLB
173-Max Bullough, ILB
192-Dez Southward, S
215-Isaiah Crowell, RB
230-Devin Street, WR

Pick up Cornelius Lucas in UFA. Worried a bit about interior O-line and DE, but this draft isn't very good or deep on those positions. Get the picks with deep talent.

I didn't really pay attention to the trade down option, but since I can still get Dennard with the trade down add this player to above:

54 - Cyrus Kouandijo, OT

Then I pretty much get everything except a DE.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Trade down:

22. Jason Verret CB
46. Louis Nix NT
54. Jeremiah Attaochu OLB
97. Brandon Coleman WR
118. Phillip Gaines CB
157. Brent Urban DE
173. De Anthony Thomas RB
192. Jeff Pagan DE
215. Aaron Colvin CB
230. Devin Street WR

fogdoctor

Reaction score
Trade Down with Eagles
22- Marquise Lee WR
46- Louis Nix NT
54- Marcus Smith OLB: I would have taken him with 46 but I could not pass up Nix.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Verret is good, but wayy too small. Remember Shamarko will be starting soon and is also 5'9" . Do you want two shrimpy starters in the secondary? I don't.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Trade Down with Eagles
22- Kony Ealy. He reminds me of Jevon Kearse. He can probably put on 15 pounds of muscle and not lose much. Coached right, he'd become a monster on D.
46- Austin Sefarin-Jenkins. Gives us a good sized TE to create mismatches. He may have some off-field issues, but his onfield potential could be devastating.
54- Cyrus Kouandijo. Almost took him at 46. Nice that he's still there. Brings some more mass to the OL
97- Bruce Ellington ASJ gives Ben a big target and Ellington gives him a quicker target with excellent hands.
118- Justin Ellis Thinking we all have a hard-on for a big NT
157- Antone Exum Can play CB, but safety is likely his future.
173-Louchiez Purifoy Good sized CB that can cover.
192- Laurent Duvernay-Tardif I like protecting Ben and keeping him upright
215- Devin Street pretty much a steal at this point.
230- Aaron Colvin for the precise reason TMC stated

ZACKB

Reaction score
We allready have Moore and Wheaton. Do we need another small wideout to play in the slot....no!

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
No Trade - Not with the possability of Aaron Donald being there. If he is gone, Trade down.
15- Aaron Donald, DT - Once in a generation player. Anchor of the DL.
46- Jason Verret, CB - TMC has him at #1, But with the loaded talent in this draft I believe that we can pick him up in the second.
97- Cyrus Kouanjio, LT - Beast
118- Donte Moncrief, WR - Weapon
157- De'Anthony Thomas, RB - He is a playmaker and we need a PR/KR
173- John Urschel, G - A Steal at this spot.
192- Lonnie Ballentine, S - We need Depth and he'll stick his nose in there and make a hit
215- Ben Gardner, DE - He will be very good 3-4 DE, Slid down due to an injury.
230- Shawn Loiseau, ILB - Division 2 Standout with a ton of upside. It's a reach here as the Steelers could probably call him in as an undrafted FA.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
No Trade - Not with the possability of Aaron Donald being there. If he is gone, Trade down.
46- Jason Verret, CB - TMC has him at #1, But with the loaded talent in this draft I believe that we can pick him up in the second.
192- Lonnie Ballentine, S - We need Depth and he'll stick his nose in there and make a hit
230- Shawn Loiseau, ILB - Division 2 Standout with a ton of upside. It's a reach here as the Steelers could probably call him in as an undrafted FA.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Donald doesn't fit our scheme at all. We won't draft him.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We allready have Moore and Wheaton. Do we need another small wideout to play in the slot....no!

Moore is so good that he was nearly invisible last year for the Saints.
We still don't know what we have in Wheaton.

Hell, we have Moye, so why do we need another WR anyway, right?

ZACKB

Reaction score
Moye barely made the team. Either Moore or Wheaton can play the slot. Wheat some outside too. Hell...DHB is a deep threat like Wallace was. I think wr is my third or fourth need. cb, dline, olb, wr.

Why would we want another shrimp?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ellington as the 97th overall pick is value

I understand we need CB, DL and OLB

all those were addressed. I'd not pass on Jerry Rice to take Chad Scott just because we have a need at CB.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Is DHB really in the WR conversation? Oh wait, WTF am I thinking, he wears a Steelers uniform so he can catch now. If forgot the healing powers of the uniform. Moncrief and Bryant both dropped @12% of their passes, which is a very high number. It makes them risky. You wanna go boom or bust, they are your guys.

You want to go safe with upside, a smaller WR may be a better choice.

Contrary to popular belief, size is not everything.