• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mock the Mock...likely the final one....

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Give me the guy who can play football over any height/size specimen who hasnt proven he can.

Last edited:

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I often wonder how much research some do on draft picks. Hearing from scouts that Dennard may have to have surgery again in the future, had double hernia surgery earlier in his career and some feel he will need it again at some point. He also had concussion and shoulder issues. He carries a medical risk.

Gilbert has questions about his desire. Just does not play up to his athletic ability. Very up and down. May be elite, may not ever arrive.

Fuller carries an injury history too, but may be the best blend of all aspects.

Roby is considered a tremendous athlete without direction. One scout called him "a mess". You also get the off-the-field issues.

Then there is Verrett. Scouts say "He's as good as any of them except he's 5-9, very physical. Instinctive. Can cover. Very confident guy. If he's 6-feet he's probably the first corner." Also; "Hell of a kid but I hate him. He's too short."

So, roll the dice on inconsistent play, injury, or a guy being 2" too short.

I can find uses for a guy that performs but lacks size. Hard to play injured players and who wants to play guys that give up big plays because of consistency?

ZACKB

Reaction score
I would take Roby if we traded down with San Fran.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

bmoritz

Reaction score
I would be elated with Tibs' draft!

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Donald doesn't fit our scheme at all. We won't draft him.

I realize Donald is a prototypical three technique 4-3 guy, but Donald is only going to add size and I could see him as 300lb NT, which is light for a 3-4 scheme, but his hands and power would make up for the weight and would be very disruptive in the middle.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Donald doesn't fit our scheme at all. We won't draft him.

I realize Donald is a prototypical three technique 4-3 guy, but Donald is only going to add size and I could see him as 300lb NT, which is light for a 3-4 scheme, but his hands and power would make up for the weight and would be very disruptive in the middle.

Papa Lazarou

Reaction score
I often wonder how much research some do on draft picks. Hearing from scouts that Dennard may have to have surgery again in the future, had double hernia surgery earlier in his career and some feel he will need it again at some point. He also had concussion and shoulder issues. He carries a medical risk.

Gilbert has questions about his desire. Just does not play up to his athletic ability. Very up and down. May be elite, may not ever arrive.

Fuller carries an injury history too, but may be the best blend of all aspects.

Roby is considered a tremendous athlete without direction. One scout called him "a mess". You also get the off-the-field issues.

Then there is Verrett. Scouts say "He's as good as any of them except he's 5-9, very physical. Instinctive. Can cover. Very confident guy. If he's 6-feet he's probably the first corner." Also; "Hell of a kid but I hate him. He's too short."

So, roll the dice on inconsistent play, injury, or a guy being 2" too short.

I can find uses for a guy that performs but lacks size. Hard to play injured players and who wants to play guys that give up big plays because of consistency?

Information is key. That is why the professional scouts do the jobs they do and we sit in armchairs and throw darts.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
I would be elated with Tibs' draft!
Why thank you, sir!

And now comes the punchline, the Steelers draft will most likely look nothing like any of these mocks we've been throwing around. That's the real zinger, when we all get massively humbled. :)

Last edited:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Trade Down with Eagles
22- Ryan Shazier LB Ohio State
I keep Timmons at the Buck ILB position and put Shazier in the Mack allowing him to use his speed to stay in coverage or shoot gaps to make plays behind the line of scrimmage. He is versatile and played both ILB and OLB at OSU and with his speed I feel can play every position minus Buck.

46- Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington
Miller isn't getting any younger and in two TE sets this would make our middle routes tough to handle.

54- Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska
6-3 218lbs with great hands an good speed. Would be an ideal replacement for Taylor.

97- Bruce Ellington WR South Carolina
Again I double dip but Coleman brings the size Ellington brings the wheels.

118- Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers
6-6 225lbs with 4.5 speed. Has a ton of upside and would give Ben a jump ball or red zone target.

157- Brent Urban DE Virginia
Urban is 6-7 300lbs and strong as an ox. Also, he uses his arms to bat down passes at the line. He and Heyward would be an awesome duo at that.

173- Larry Webster athlete Bloomsburg
Has the pedigree to be an NFL player with his father being a former NFL player. Was a TE and only played one year of football but has 15 TFL, and 13.5 sacks with an INT for a TD. With Woodley gones and Worilds only signing a tenure contract I would double dip with Breslin in a heartbeat.

192- Morgan Breslin OLB USC
This was a tough one between Howard Jones from Shepherd and Breslin. I took Breslin because he played against tough competition and gets sacks. He isn't quite the athlete Jones is but not bad either. Also, he is recovering from several surguries and injuries that shortened his season last year. If he stayed healthy he could have been a first round pick.

215- Justin Britt OT Missouri
Britt is coming off an ACL tear in 2012 Britt likely was not 100% last year and probably isn't as of yet. That being said he is physically gifted, started all 14 at LT in Mizzou and has impressive workout numbers with a 5.07 40 and 1.75 10 at his workout. He reminds me of Michael Roos (Munchaks LT from Tennessee) and I feel has LT potential. Gives Munchak a guy to work with at least and develope.

230- Colt Lyerla TE Oregon
Physical freak of nature who has first round talent but because of character concerns falls this far. We have risked higher picks on character players so if he doesn't pan out not a big concern.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Coleman...I like it. That's what I have been saying here. Why not wait till round 4, and nab Coleman. He is your big red zone threat. I would focus on corner and dline/lb

diver

Reaction score
I live close enough to Philly to be able to get WIP. They had on Ray Didinger, who you have to respect. A lot of the other guys are clowns, but Ray is knowledgeable. Anyway, he feels the Eagles will not trade up, that the rumor is BS. If anything they will try to trade down too, as they only have 6 picks in the draft and are a team that likes a lot of picks. We'll see.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
1 Justin Gilbert. I like his skill set (Fuller was off the board, in the draft I think he is there as Donald IMO will last no longer than the Bears)
2 Louis Nix. Value pick
3 Donte Moncrief. I think he could be a physical move the chains type.
4 Lache Seastrunk. Depth pick........
5 Antone Exum. Double up the corner position.........
5 Max Bullough. Depth at ILBer
6 Prince Shembo. OLBer
6 Chris Watt. G
7 Devin Street. WR

Reaction score
No Trade
15- Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
46- Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State
97- James Hurst, OT, North Carolina
118-Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers
157-Ross Cockrell, CB, Duke
173-Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State
192- John Urschel, G, Penn State
215-Shaquelle Evans, WR, UCLA
230-Rob Blanchflower, TE, UMass

Wingman

Reaction score
Why thank you, sir!

And now comes the punchline, the Steelers draft will most likely look nothing like any of these mocks we've been throwing around. That's the real zinger, when we all get massively humbled. :)
After the years that no draft picks are still on the team I wonder if it was the fan club that got humbled.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I'll start with the "No Trade" option.

15-Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
Arguably the best cornerback in the draft. Should lock down the No. 1 spot by second season.

46-Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame
Cannot pass up an opportunity to get an anchor for the defensive line.

97-Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina
Moncrief could be very good, but Ellington could be an elite slot receiver. He is the safer pick with big value at this point.

118-Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
Another good value selection here. Solidifies depth for present and future.

157-Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon
Has starting potential down the road and helps build depth at defensive end.

173-Jordan Zumwalt, LB, UCLA
Should be a good special teams player and depth player.

192-James White, RB, Wisconsin
Ideal candidate for third-down back.

215-Devin Street, WR, Pitt
I always try to select a Pitt player in the draft, so here he is. Good size and helped make Tom Savage look good.

Looking for a future No. 2 or 3 option.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Why thank you, sir!

It's not just the Steelers picks that will be way different than these mocks, the entire draft is always way, way different than the mocks. Every year there are surprises in round one ("haha, how could [team x] pick that guy, he is a 3rd rounder in all the mocks") and there are guys who fall to the 7th round (or out of the draft entirely) who were projected as solid 2nd/3rd rounders. I love watching Steeler Nation cry out that we have to take a player in round 3 ("great value here") and then round 4 and round 5 and finally the dude gets picked 5 slots before Mr. Irrelevant.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Love your draft, except I would take Moncrief. He's is tall, blocks, and can develop. I have the same guys pegged to be drafted by us, minus Ellington Maybe try and snag an OLB prospect somewhere...maybe if we get an extra 3rd in a trade down. Maybe Jeffcoat if we get an extra third?

I'll start with the "No Trade" option.

15-Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
Arguably the best cornerback in the draft. Should lock down the No. 1 spot by second season.

Cannot pass up an opportunity to get an anchor for the defensive line.

97-Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina
Moncrief could be very good, but Ellington could be an elite slot receiver. He is the safer pick with big value at this point.

118-Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
Another good value selection here. Solidifies depth for present and future.

157-Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon
Has starting potential down the road and helps build depth at defensive end.

173-Jordan Zumwalt, LB, UCLA
Should be a good special teams player and depth player.

192-James White, RB, Wisconsin
Ideal candidate for third-down back.

215-Devin Street, WR, Pitt
I always try to select a Pitt player in the draft, so here he is. Good size and helped make Tom Savage look good.

Looking for a future No. 2 or 3 option.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
So, Walterfootball came out with a 7-round mock draft today. Brand spanking new. I thought since this may be the last one until September (kidding), I would add a twist. In this one, you get two choices....first, you mock the draft as it sits. I'll list the pick numbers and who Walter selected for us. OR, you can opt for the Peter King trade down (he mocked it in his one round draft) which means the Steelers slide down to 22 and pick up the Eagles 22nd and 2nd round picks for the 15th. I figure since many are calling for a trade down, I would throw that option in and this is one that was published by a reputable writer (not that it means much). Anywho, here it is....

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

Walter's Picks
15-Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
97-Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
118-James Gayle, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech
157-Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech
173-Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State
192-John Urshel, G, Penn State
215-Kirby Van Der Kamp, P, Iowa State

Do your worst.....