• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Muth - "We have no hot routes"

Chicoman

Reaction score
I saw this and I thought to myself...WTF....not having any hot reads in the offense is absolutely st00pid. No reason they couldn't put 5 or 6 Hot Routes in their offense throughout the season. It's a glaring weakness we saw in our offense that actually got our QB's in trouble and scrambling for their lives. Even the 49'ers had Hot Routes in place for Brock Purdy. Another reason why I just shake my head when the Steelers announced they were keeping Matt Canada. I hope the hell he puts them back in the offense this coming season. I have little confidence in Matt Canada.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Yes, i don’t care how inexperienced everyone is, you cant do non adjustment routes in the NFL…

This is more of that “ keep the offense super safe” bullshit

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
They have plenty of cold routes, though. Like ice cold.
But yet somehow went 9-7 with a rookie qb and apparently the worst hc/oc in the history of the league

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
But yet somehow went 9-7 with a rookie qb and apparently the worst hc/oc in the history of the league
9-8, bro. And I'm not sure what that has to do with not having hot routes.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Over the past 2 years, this is yet another reason Canaduh does not belong in the NFL. I was saying this all season. If they see Pickens with man coverage, you have to go to him. Quick 3-step drop and fire it down the sideline or 2 steps and throw it in the redzone. Like Higgins said for the Bungholes, 50-50 balls are more like 80-20 (I'm thinking more like 65-35 but who's counting). The same holds true for Pickens. KP and Pickens should be working on those this off-season.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Over the past 2 years, this is yet another reason Canaduh does not belong in the NFL. I was saying this all season. If they see Pickens with man coverage, you have to go to him. Quick 3-step drop and fire it down the sideline or 2 steps and throw it in the redzone. Like Higgins said for the Bungholes, 50-50 balls are more like 80-20 (I'm thinking more like 65-35 but who's counting). The same holds true for Pickens. KP and Pickens should be working on those this off-season.
Agreed.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Tomlin ran his course with Pittsburgh years ago. Sometimes it is just time to move on. An great exanple is Andy Reid. Eagles let him go and now have had 2 HCs in last 5 or so years to go to the SB. Andy himself made it there now 3 times. As an organization you can't be afraid to not make a move in a new direction when the direction you have been going isn't getting it done.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, i don’t care how inexperienced everyone is, you cant do non adjustment routes in the NFL…

This is more of that “ keep the offense super safe” bullshit

AGREE but it seems more like “College offense” in a PROFESSIONAL atmosphere !!!

Those that think keeping O’Canada so as not to hinder Kenny Pickett’s Developement are ****-ing nuts. Keeping O’Canada is a guarantee of hindering Kenny’s Developement.

Salute the nation

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
9-8, bro. And I'm not sure what that has to do with not having hot routes.
Bro thanks Bro. It is really a combination of things. you guys post on here the 1000 reasons Tomlin sucks. Today it is hot routes. Tomorrow it might be head size.
All Tomlin does is keep winning. Now he has a young franchise QB 3 picks in the top 50. a good to great defense. should be an exciting offseason full of optimism.
But come on here and we suck. Tomlin sucks the future sucks.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Bro thanks Bro. It is really a combination of things. you guys post on here the 1000 reasons Tomlin sucks. Today it is hot routes. Tomorrow it might be head size.
All Tomlin does is keep winning. Now he has a young franchise QB 3 picks in the top 50. a good to great defense. should be an exciting offseason full of optimism.
Are you suggesting that the talent on the Steelers team this past season and for the last 6-7 years is such that Tomlin's coaching has improved the seasonal and cumulative record?

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
We had hot routes with Ben, but not Pickett. Yes it is very stupid. Colleges have hot routes so there is no reason professional players can not learn a few hot reads.

livingthrudying

Reaction score
I get what you're saying. Tomlin does not suck but he is not elite either. He is that guy who when it's needed puts in just enough to not be in the bottom half of the league. When he was stacked, the years with Ben in his prime and AB and the killer B's and even the years before that he underachieved. You are a thousand percent right that Tomlin does win a lot. However he is also out coached ALOT! We could also be alot worse with a really bad coach. However I think why everyone brings up the issues with Tomlin is that at this point we have seen his ceiling. With Tomlin you will always have a shot at being competitive and making the playoffs, but The other issue is that we have seen is that in the post season he is out coached all the time. He is not a terrible coach, he is a stale coach. The league is passing him by with each passing year. Ultra conservative play does not get it done anymore in this league.

I don't hate Tomlin but any human in any position can get stale and comfortable after too long. And yes people over react about Tomlin (myself included) but sometimes you just need a fresh start and perspective.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't try to talk logic to us. LOL. Good points.

Lambert58

Reaction score
What you mean is "barely" winning. Winning in the NFL is winning the SB, or at least winning some playoff games. Anyone in a job too long gets stale. Tomlin is stale.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Again clickbait. I read the key points last night. Basically Muth is on the Roethlisberger Pod cast and is saying they couldn't have the same level of communication because they did not have a Q. with the level of experience that Ben did, where he could give a guy like DJ a look based upon the pre snap read. He was not dissing the offense or the Coordinator. He was just saying they didn't have the Q that could do that. There are enough real problems with Tomlin and Canada. its not necessary to invent.

steelhurt

Reaction score
AGREE but it seems more like “College offense” in a PROFESSIONAL atmosphere !!!

Those that think keeping O’Canada so as not to hinder Kenny Pickett’s Developement are ****-ing nuts. Keeping O’Canada is a guarantee of hindering Kenny’s Developement.

Salute the nation
That’s what I’m afraid of, Canada hindering Kenny’s progress.
There’re talking about this on 93.7 The Fan and Starkey and Cook are both scratching their heads.
Kenny is a smart young man who spends lots of time studying and that’s one of the things that attracted him to the Steelers, but they don’t trust him on hot routes. That’s nuts!

diver

Reaction score
It sure seems stupid. All I will say though is that this offense was doing nothing well until a little beyond mid-year. I have said before I get this multi-dimensional stuff, but if you don't do anything well, you suck multi-dimensionally. They had to try to find something they did well...or at least with some level of competence. That had to be the focus, imo. Then you can build off of it. So, while I think it is dumb not to have those things in the offense, I can kind of understand it. They were able to establish some competence in running the football. We'll see if they can build on that,.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It sure seems stupid. All I will say though is that this offense was doing nothing well until a little beyond mid-year. I have said before I get this multi-dimensional stuff, but if you don't do anything well, you suck multi-dimensionally. They had to try to find something they did well...or at least with some level of competence. That had to be the focus, imo. Then you can build off of it. So, while I think it is dumb not to have those things in the offense, I can kind of understand it. They were able to establish some competence in running the football. We'll see if they can build on that,.

That right there sums up the impact of O'Canada.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
This article aside, if Tomlin is responsible for retaining and it goes the way most of us believe, Tomlin should be fired. It was the most critical decision of the offseason. If its wrong, someone's head should roll.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
We had hot routes with Ben, but not Pickett. Yes it is very stupid. Colleges have hot routes so there is no reason professional players can not learn a few hot reads.
Now a days high school teams have hot routes......but the Steelers don't.