• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My first game experience

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Reporting back after getting in late late last night. What an awesome experience that was. First a little background. I'm 40 years old, lifelong Steelers fan thanks to my dad who was born in Pittsburgh. We were able to get these tickets because of my fiancee. She's a teacher and one of her students parents knew I was a big Steelers fan and they just got season tickets this year. They sent us a list of the games they couldn't attend this year and gave us first choice. Granted I would have picked a different game, but we couldn't have asked for a nicer day AND a win.

I thought the Stadium was great. Pretty easy to get around, in and out, easy access to everything we needed. Our seats were section 226, closed end, just under the roof, corner of the EZ. People were friendly, sat next to a nice couple that we were able to chat in between quarters and at half, and high five and what not during the game.

Being my first game, I was trying to take in as much as I could, so I didn't get involved in a lot of the first down chants until later in the game. I mean, it was honestly pretty surreal to me. It's something that I wanted to do for so long, to finally get the chance...The crowd did not disappoint. It was pretty loud, I can only imagine a playoff game there. Granted the game was a lot closer than it should have been, but it did allow me to experience Renegade. Woah, literal chills, and the place just EXPLODED!

After the game we walked across the bridge to Milano's pizza, surprisingly got right in and the pizza was amazing. The only bad experiences we had were our Uber's. Abdul and Mohammed nearly killed us, seriously. We were nearly in a wreck on the way TO the stadium, and BACK to the hotel. The one coming back was complete with screeching brakes, horns honking, and a very high heart rate. Next game we attend we'll spend a little more, and try to get a hotel sooner so we can be close enough to walk or find other transportation.

As for the game itself... The OL looked pretty good, easily their best game. Najee is a beast. Ben was much better, and Claypool played thru his rib injury and contributed in a HUGE way. I will say we need Sutton back in a hurry, and another CB on the roster if they don't like who they traded for, because Pierre IS NOT the answer. The game isn't that close with Sutton in. Sutton may not have shut down that side completely, but he doesn't give up ALL the plays Pierre did. And yeah, Pierre got the INT and raced to track down the RB, but that INT was behind the WR in a desperate "it's fourth down I have to throw it" kind of way. The only thing him catching that did, was give Ben room to kneel to end the game.

All in all, glad for the win, a great experience I plan on doing more of!

Side note, I think we can put some of the blame on my fiancee, she left at halftime to go to the bathroom and find two of her friends that were also at the game, and while she was gone, our drive stalled and we settled for the FG, only when she came back, we got the penalty and then the TD to Claypool. I told her she couldn't leave anymore

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Great report. Glad you had a win as the first experience.
With the fiancee, it is great that she was able to land you some good tickets, but also good that you have some time for training her.
It would be unacceptable that a wife negatively affect the Steelers play.
Train her up on watching the game, or making sammiches, rather than chit-chatting with friends during the game.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Happy that you had a good experience and a win too. I’ve been to many,many Steeler games at Heinz and previously at Three Rivers and I can tell you first hand, there’s nothing like being there in person and now you know that feeling.
We at one time through the club seats that we had were allowed to go on the sidelines prior to the game when the players were warming up. That was a cool experience! I remember one time Mel Blount came walking by and like a ******** I yelled, hay Mel. He looked at me like, who the duck is this guy.
Great times at the games and miss it.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Reporting back after getting in late late last night. What an awesome experience that was. First a little background. I'm 40 years old, lifelong Steelers fan thanks to my dad who was born in Pittsburgh. We were able to get these tickets because of my fiancee. She's a teacher and one of her students parents knew I was a big Steelers fan and they just got season tickets this year. They sent us a list of the games they couldn't attend this year and gave us first choice. Granted I would have picked a different game, but we couldn't have asked for a nicer day AND a win.

I thought the Stadium was great. Pretty easy to get around, in and out, easy access to everything we needed. Our seats were section 226, closed end, just under the roof, corner of the EZ. People were friendly, sat next to a nice couple that we were able to chat in between quarters and at half, and high five and what not during the game.

Being my first game, I was trying to take in as much as I could, so I didn't get involved in a lot of the first down chants until later in the game. I mean, it was honestly pretty surreal to me. It's something that I wanted to do for so long, to finally get the chance...The crowd did not disappoint. It was pretty loud, I can only imagine a playoff game there. Granted the game was a lot closer than it should have been, but it did allow me to experience Renegade. Woah, literal chills, and the place just EXPLODED!

After the game we walked across the bridge to Milano's pizza, surprisingly got right in and the pizza was amazing. The only bad experiences we had were our Uber's. Abdul and Mohammed nearly killed us, seriously. We were nearly in a wreck on the way TO the stadium, and BACK to the hotel. The one coming back was complete with screeching brakes, horns honking, and a very high heart rate. Next game we attend we'll spend a little more, and try to get a hotel sooner so we can be close enough to walk or find other transportation.

As for the game itself... The OL looked pretty good, easily their best game. Najee is a beast. Ben was much better, and Claypool played thru his rib injury and contributed in a HUGE way. I will say we need Sutton back in a hurry, and another CB on the roster if they don't like who they traded for, because Pierre IS NOT the answer. The game isn't that close with Sutton in. Sutton may not have shut down that side completely, but he doesn't give up ALL the plays Pierre did. And yeah, Pierre got the INT and raced to track down the RB, but that INT was behind the WR in a desperate "it's fourth down I have to throw it" kind of way. The only thing him catching that did, was give Ben room to kneel to end the game.

Side note, I think we can put some of the blame on my fiancee, she left at halftime to go to the bathroom and find two of her friends that were also at the game, and while she was gone, our drive stalled and we settled for the FG, only when she came back, we got the penalty and then the TD to Claypool. I told her she couldn't leave anymore
Deja vu

I was 40 for my first game in 2006 ... home opener Steelers vs Miami
I bought tickets off a scalper for section 226 just under the roof line

Jerome Bettis' parents were in the box to the rear of us as Jerome was honoured before the game
and wrestler Kurt Angle was sitting a short distance from us

we took the Gateway Clipper Fleet to and from the game

Styx was a favourite band of mine ......so Renegade was awesome
and the fireworks to celebrate the superbowl win were amazing

Glad you enjoyed your experience

Where are you from?

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Deja vu

I was 40 for my first game in 2006 ... home opener Steelers vs Miami
I bought tickets off a scalper for section 226 just under the roof line

Jerome Bettis' parents were in the box to the rear of us as Jerome was honoured before the game
and wrestler Kurt Angle was sitting a short distance from us

we took the Gateway Clipper Fleet to and from the game

Styx was a favourite band of mine ......so Renegade was awesome
and the fireworks to celebrate the superbowl win were amazing

Glad you enjoyed your experience

Where are you from?
We are from Waverly NY, it's about a 5 hr drive for us. Was about 6.5 hrs coming back with all the stops she needed 😂

mdk2

Reaction score
Awesome experience! Glad the fans had the place rockin' a little bit for you.

You need to go to a game in December when it's 20-30 degrees. Vs the Ravens or another big game. (The immaculate extension game was one of my favorites in the past 8 years or so)

It's nice to go when it's warm out but growing up in the north, I need below 40 degrees to have that football weather.

Playoff games definitely take the noise and intensity to a next level.

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
The only bad experiences we had were our Uber's. Abdul and Mohammed nearly killed us, seriously. We were nearly in a wreck on the way TO the stadium, and BACK to the hotel. The one coming back was complete with screeching brakes, horns honking, and a very high heart rate.
I'm sure you rated them accordingly on the uber app? Those drivers live by their ratings.

I will say we need Sutton back in a hurry, and another CB on the roster if they don't like who they traded for, because Pierre IS NOT the answer.
I think Pierre has done OK, about the same as Sutton, IMO.

Granted I would have picked a different game, but we couldn't have asked for a nicer day AND a win.
Our first (and only) game in Pittsburgh was in 2011 against the Titans. That day was so warm that when I checked the weather back home (El Paso, TX), it was actually warmer in PIT.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome experience! Glad the fans had the place rockin' a little bit for you.

You need to go to a game in December when it's 20-30 degrees. Vs the Ravens or another big game. (The immaculate extension game was one of my favorites in the past 8 years or so)

It's nice to go when it's warm out but growing up in the north, I need below 40 degrees to have that football weather.

Playoff games definitely take the noise and intensity to a next level.
This is a sore subject for me actually. So like I said, a student of her's parents have the season tickets. They sent us a list of games they couldn't attend. The games were, Denver, Seattle, Tennessee, and BALTIMORE!!! Of course I said I want the Ravens game, and she said "Im not sitting in the cold for a stupid football game". She went ahead and bought the Broncos tickets. Next year I'll offer to buy more than one game, and if she doesn't want to deal with the cold, I'll find someone to take lol

Steelmann

Reaction score
Great report! My first game was surreal as well. It’s like it took a lifetime to do. We stayed downtown and walked to the game with the thousands of other fans. Of course I overdid my beer consumption before,during, and after the game. My son just shook his head. We were lucky enough to stay for 3 nights in the beautiful city of Pittsburgh.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Great report! My first game was surreal as well. It’s like it took a lifetime to do. We stayed downtown and walked to the game with the thousands of other fans. Of course I overdid my beer consumption before,during, and after the game. My son just shook his head. We were lucky enough to stay for 3 nights in the beautiful city of Pittsburgh.
Im in the minority of people, I don't drink... But the way I yelled and screamed during the game, Jackie did ask me if I wanted a beer to calm me down :ROFLMAO:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

SUPER happy for you and your experience. Thank You for posting the follow up as I love to read them and want everyone to enjoy their time there.

Salute the nation

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
Glad you had a great time! My youngest daughter loves the Steelers and went to the 2016 playoff game in Cincy with me when Burfict damn near killed AB. We were sitting in the Bengals section and I had to separate her from an older woman that kept rubbing it in my daughter's face. Nothing like the raw emotion of being in the stadium! :)

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Glad you had a great time! My youngest daughter loves the Steelers and went to the 2016 playoff game in Cincy with me when Burfict damn near killed AB. We were sitting in the Bengals section and I had to separate her from an older woman that kept rubbing it in my daughter's face. Nothing like the raw emotion of being in the stadium! :)
Don't you remember. AB was faking. That's what Burfict said at least.

Funny how his behavior went way downhill after that.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Basically any downtown hotel is walkable to the stadium. If you are reasonably healthy, even the hotels in the Strip are walking distance. As mentioned, you can stay at the hotel in Station Square and take the boat. Lyft and Uber aren't really workable to get to and from the stadium because of traffic. They're not going to get you very close before the game and they're not going to be able to find you after the game. If they do find you then you have to be ready to jump into Mohammed's car right now because the cops aren't going to let him wait for you and block traffic when the light is green.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Basically any downtown hotel is walkable to the stadium. If you are reasonably healthy, even the hotels in the Strip are walking distance. As mentioned, you can stay at the hotel in Station Square and take the boat. Lyft and Uber aren't really workable to get to and from the stadium because of traffic. They're not going to get you very close before the game and they're not going to be able to find you after the game. If they do find you then you have to be ready to jump into Mohammed's car right now because the cops aren't going to let him wait for you and block traffic when the light is green.
You're packed in like a can of sardines, but the T is free from the North Side to downtown - unless that has changed recently. If you have a hotel out of town, take the T downtown and pick up an Uber from there.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
My cousin and his wife went for the first time as well. They had an amazing time. Sent a bunch of pictures and video.

Glad the first game was a Win!

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Unexpected twist, woke up this morning and couldn't move my arm, go to the Dr, get some x rays, find out I have calcific tendonitis in my shoulder. Doc asked if I moved my arms a lot at the game, well duh!

Guess I shook loose calcium build up and it's now wedged on my rotator cuff. Excruciating pain...still worth it.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Unexpected twist, woke up this morning and couldn't move my arm, go to the Dr, get some x rays, find out I have calcific tendonitis in my shoulder. Doc asked if I moved my arms a lot at the game, well duh!

Guess I shook loose calcium build up and it's now wedged on my rotator cuff. Excruciating pain...still worth it.
Wow, sorry to hear that. But glad you got to enjoy the glory of a live game experience

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not uncommon for me to lose my voice at games. I try to tone it down now due to being old and ****. Always love going to games. That had never waivered.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

NOW that's taking one for the team..!!

Heal fast and well

Salute the nation