• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Najee Harris Shockingly Not Ranked Top Ten Rookie by ESPN

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers were thinking of a dynamic, game-changing running back when Najee Harris was selected 22nd overall in the 2021 NFL Draft. While this seems to be a very strong draft class, Harris is certainly one of the best drafted players given his impact on the Steelers. Jeff Legwold of ESPN released an article Wednesday ranking the top 10 rookies in the NFL. When I went to read it, I was shocked when I didn’t see Harris’ name as one of the top guys. The players listed are very good and while Harris isn’t #1, he is definitely deserving of being recognized as one of the best young stars in the league this season.

The rookie from Alabama has the most touches (248) out of any offensive player in the NFL this season and has been the focal point of the Steelers game plan on offense. He is first in rushing yards for all rookie running backs (708) and eighth in the league overall. He is also second in the NFL in running back receptions (52). Harris is the best running back from the 2021 draft class, holds an extremely valuable position on offense and he doesn’t crack the top 10? Someone explain to me how this makes any sense.

Not only was Harris not in the top 10, but he was the very last player mentioned in the article. Sure, his offensive line has been inconsistent and banged up, but that makes the numbers he has put up even more impressive. It almost seems like because of the struggles on offense, Legwold believes Harris isn’t deserving. He is playing on an offense that is quite broken and he has been the most consistent piece (honorable mention: Diontae Johnson) for Mike Tomlin‘s offense. Legwold notes that Harris has six games of 16 carries or less. In those games, he has 34 receptions for 211 yards and a touchdown. How does that get overlooked here?

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah of the Cleveland Browns is ranked ninth and has only played in six games this season. Is a guy with 49 tackles, one sack and one forced fumble more deserving of being listed in the top 10 than Harris? No. Nate Hobbs (ranked sixth) has been a stud for the Las Vegas Raiders, but are his seven starts and three penalties more commendable than Harris’ efforts? No.

Harris will probably never see the article on ESPN, but I would bet to say that in a couple years, he will be noticed as one of the top five players from the 2021 draft class and we will look back at Legwold’s opinion piece and laugh. There is some bias here, but Harris is not being given the credit that he deserves for how great he has been in his first season.

Do you think Harris is being undervalued by National Media and fans of the NFL? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Najee is 7th in rushing in the entire NFL behind the worst line in the NFL. He is on target to blow past 1,500 yards from scrimmage and 10+ TD's. If he does that, he should (but won't) win offensive rookie of the year even beating out Chase.

bkwheat28

Reaction score
**** like this used to bug me, but I don’t give it a second thought anymore. But I also used to get up and start drinking early morning on Sunday’s just to catch possibility of pregame story on the Steelers. Now, it’s turn on at kickoff, and off right after game.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
iu

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
Not on an NFL favored team? Check. ESPN sucks in general irrespective? Check.

Not a surprising result.

I'd say I try not to give a F about ESPN but the truth is I don't even need to try.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this to our attention and good read Parker, thanks.

You should know that ESPN has always been bias against the STEELERS and it all started back in I think 79' when espn was just getting started. Brand new and asked the Super Bowl champions if they could get interview with them. The STEELERS turned them down and went with a more popular channel. ESPN has never forgotten that and has continuously portrayed them in the negative.

**** espn with a

RED
HOT
POKER

Salute the nation

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
It's one *******'s opinion. Rankings and lists don't mean a thing.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It's one *******'s opinion. Rankings and lists don't mean a thing.

This list doesn't but a good example of when they might is TJ WATT DPOY. He was robbed what I think is twice to date. Now his game missing season will jepordize what could well be a third.

These kind of accolades come to play in their retirement and HOF nomination. Ask Ben if a Super Bowl MVP would come in handy.......... One that he well deserved !

Salute the nation

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Not in the top ten of a good rookie class? I agree, he isn't the type of explosive back we need. Lets not act like he's Derrick Henry or Jonathan Taylor. He is that hard to tackle and not that fast. Next to zero big plays. Yeah the line sucks but he can't create on his own. Meanwhile the guy we did not want, James Conner is doing well.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not in the top ten of a good rookie class? I agree, he isn't the type of explosive back we need. Lets not act like he's Derrick Henry or Jonathan Taylor. He is that hard to tackle and not that fast. Next to zero big plays. Yeah the line sucks but he can't create on his own. Meanwhile the guy we did not want, James Conner is doing well.
You act like Henry did anything his first year or even his 2nd. He certainly didn't look like he does now. He was pretty awful. And, Najee's 1st-year numbers should blow by what Taylor did in his 1st year. All of this behind arguably the worst OL in the NFL. Najee will blow past 1,500 yards from scrimmage and 10 TD's. He can run, catch and block. Ya, Najee is no good. You can't even compare Conner to Najee. They are in 2 entirely different situations. Conner wouldn't have 500 total yards if he were in Pittsburgh this year. Najee falls forward and is one of the top RB's in the entire NFL in breaking tackles. He can get a yard most of the time even with the bad line while Conner never could. Again, he really must suck.

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
It's kinda Ironic you got the handle of coach because sometimes you come across like you don't know **** about football let alone enough to actually coach it.

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
You should know that ESPN has always been bias against the STEELERS and it all started back in I think 79' when espn was just getting started. Brand new and asked the Super Bowl champions if they could get interview with them. The STEELERS turned them down and went with a more popular channel.

That reminds me of the time in the late 70's that NFL Films offered to feature the Steelers in a highlight video titled "America's Team", only to have the Chief turn them down ("we're happy to be Pittsburgh's team"), so NFLF gave that title to the Cowboys highlight film instead... and the rest - as they say - is history. Cowboys fans all around me and most don't like hearing that story.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Najee has also had a ton of big plays called back on penalties, some of them irrelevant to the play itself. His numbers could/should be even better.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

You lost all credibility when you claimed Eddie Lacy a better back than Bell even after he ate himself out of the league. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Actually, you likely lost all credibility with your first post.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
That reminds me of the time in the late 70's that NFL Films offered to feature the Steelers in a highlight video titled "America's Team", only to have the Chief turn them down ("we're happy to be Pittsburgh's team")

That's a great piece of Steelers history I was unaware of! Good stuff.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
The people listed above Harris are pretty solid. Harris has not really had explosive plays and we rank 28th in rushing and he only has 3.6ypc. Harris seems to have picked up the blocking very well and is doing well catching the ball as a RB. Harris gives max effort,seems like a good guy, and its not his fault the production is what it is. If we had any sort of line im sure his numbers would look way better. Im just worried the steelers will run his wheels off and by the time we get a line he will be shot.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Coach, the eye test says way different on Najee. Did you read the article? He is 8th overall rushing in the NFL (not rookie class). He is TOPs in the rookie class. He has way more than any other rookie and yet didn't get mentioned top 10 rookie class, that is a travesty.

James Conner (loved him when he was here but he is gone) would not have near the success here that Najee has had. Where does James rank in rushing yards this year..... is he top 10 ? (i haven't looked)

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That reminds me of the time in the late 70's that NFL Films offered to feature the Steelers in a highlight video titled "America's Team", only to have the Chief turn them down ("we're happy to be Pittsburgh's team"), so NFLF gave that title to the Cowboys highlight film instead... and the rest - as they say - is history. Cowboys fans all around me and most don't like hearing that story.

I like letting Cowboy fans know that story as well. I don't go around rubbing noses or anything but when a Cryboy fan mouths off......... it comes in handy.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The people listed above Harris are pretty solid. Harris has not really had explosive plays and we rank 28th in rushing and he only has 3.6ypc. Harris seems to have picked up the blocking very well and is doing well catching the ball as a RB. Harris gives max effort,seems like a good guy, and its not his fault the production is what it is. If we had any sort of line im sure his numbers would look way better. Im just worried the steelers will run his wheels off and by the time we get a line he will be shot.
This is it right here. Najee is doing about as well as he can behind that terrible offensive line. Compared to other rookies, though, does not have the same production per touch. A lot of volume yards in the eyes of others at this point with his poor YPC.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
ESPN also ranked Claypool 14th best rookie last season and he balled out. Funny that a sports network really doesn’t know **** about sports.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
ESPN also ranked Claypool 14th best rookie last season and he balled out. Funny that a sports network really doesn’t know **** about sports.
Claypool is ranked #10 here at the end of last season.
Jefferson the only WR above him had 1400 yrds. Even a guy like Tee Higgins had more yrds than Claypool and had a rookie QB in Burrow (who only played in 10 games). Higgins did not make the top 10. Can you really argue w/ the guys above Claypool? Claypool had 3 really good games (90-100yrds) and one exceptional game (175 yrds), but he also had 8 games where he caught 4 balls or less. People seem to make up Steeler bias. Claypool had a very good rookie season, but was inconsistent and disappeared for several games. This year he is struggling and has not improved on his rookie success. You can blame playcalling, QB play, the Oline, or whatever, but he is making a lot of mental mistakes and his #'s just are not there. He seems to be playing better lately so hopefully he is out of the funk.